HDD Temperature 66 degrees celsius

This is a discussion on HDD Temperature 66 degrees celsius within the Tech Board forums, part of the Community Boards category; Hi, Today I noticed that my CPU fan is turning on and off very frequently (on and off at an ...

  1. #1
    Super unModrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    321

    Exclamation HDD Temperature 66 degrees celsius

    Hi,

    Today I noticed that my CPU fan is turning on and off very frequently (on and off at an interval of 20 seconds). I installed an app which shows me the current hdd temperature. When I switch on my PC, it shows 54 degrees but within half an hour it is at 66! I disabled the 3D graphics, switched off the computer and let it cool down. Now half an hour has passed and T is 62. Is this temperature normal for a Linux machine ?

    What might be causing the problem ? There is no AC in the room...I don't want my hard drive to melt

    Thank you

    EDIT: Ah! its 64 now!! I'm going.

  2. #2
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,471
    HDD is faned not by the CPU fan but by the fan in your front-panel of the case.
    So you should check if this fan is working properly and you case constructed in a way that nothing prevents the correct air flow (like in the picture http://www.svc.com/generalcoolingguide.html - Your HDD should be located in the "blue zone")
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  3. #3
    Kernel hacker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Farncombe, Surrey, England
    Posts
    15,677
    Are you sure that temperature is correct - maybe you can feel the hard-disk with your hand. 66'C will feel burning hot (about the same temperature as the hot water on a very HOT tap).

    Edit: By the way, I'm pretty sure it makes no difference if you run Linux, Windows or DOS on the machine.

    --
    Mats
    Last edited by matsp; 03-06-2008 at 07:37 AM.
    Compilers can produce warnings - make the compiler programmers happy: Use them!
    Please don't PM me for help - and no, I don't do help over instant messengers.

  4. #4
    Super unModrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    321
    uh, I feel embarrassed to admit that I have never seen a HD before. Is it a 8cm X 8cm cuboid with a fan mounted on the top of it ? (160GB)
    It is screwed to a circuit board. The arrow in the picture
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  5. #5
    Kernel hacker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Farncombe, Surrey, England
    Posts
    15,677
    Where your arrow points is the CPU.

    The hard-disk is normally mounted in the area just over the fan (blue rectangle with 40CFM on it) that is pointed to by the big blue arrow. The box just above this is usually where the HDD lives.

    --
    Mats
    Compilers can produce warnings - make the compiler programmers happy: Use them!
    Please don't PM me for help - and no, I don't do help over instant messengers.

  6. #6
    Super unModrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by matsp View Post
    Where your arrow points is the CPU.

    The hard-disk is normally mounted in the area just over the fan (blue rectangle with 40CFM on it) that is pointed to by the big blue arrow. The box just above this is usually where the HDD lives.

    --
    Mats
    Sorry I'm wasting too much of your time.

    Do you mean the rectangle to the left of (your left) where its written "Good Airflow" ?

    "HIPRO" was written on it, and when i googled, I found this. and it is looking exactly like what I have here. but i think its the power supply ?

  7. #7
    Internet Superhero
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    964
    This is the box Matsp is talking about:

    http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1...airflowzb5.jpg

    That is where your harddisk is supposed to be.

    Edit: By the way, I'm pretty sure it makes no difference if you run Linux, Windows or DOS on the machine.
    Most laptops get 10-15 minutes extra battery time on Linux compared to Windows Vista, since Vista uses more CPU when idle, i'm pretty sure this also means the CPU will be running a bit hotter.
    How I need a drink, alcoholic in nature, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics.

  8. #8
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,066
    The harddrive should be mounted right behind the blue rectangle (fan) labled "<40CFM".
    Sent from my iPadŽ

  9. #9
    Super unModrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post
    This is the box Matsp is talking about:

    http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1...airflowzb5.jpg

    That is where your harddisk is supposed to be.



    Most laptops get 10-15 minutes extra battery time on Linux compared to Windows Vista, since Vista uses more CPU when idle, i'm pretty sure this also means the CPU will be running a bit hotter.
    Oh, below the cd drive....thanks.

    yes it feels a bit hot but not very hot. and there are only two fans in there. First on the top of CPU and second at the back...:-O

  10. #10
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,471
    Maybe it is time to add one - on the right side where the "40CFM" is written.

    And make sure - the air is directed inside the case. While the one on the back (left side of the picture - under the Power supply) directs air out of the case

    below the cd drive
    If you can move hdd down to make more space between it and over drives like cd - it can help
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  11. #11
    Super unModrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    321
    Maybe it is time to add one - on the right side where the "40CFM" is written.
    Ok, thank you everyone for your time


    Manufacturer's fault.

  12. #12
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,471
    Quote Originally Posted by abk View Post
    Manufacturer's fault.
    Not really - it's upto you what case you select, what power supply you need, what number of fans you ask to add... So if you are buying some basic configuration do not expect it will stand under hard stress conditions...
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  13. #13
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,066
    Quote Originally Posted by vart View Post
    Not really - it's up to you what case you select, what power supply you need, what number of fans you ask to add...
    ... last I checked, Dell, Gateway, HP, and Acer don't really allow you to decide on that. Not everyone build their PCs...

    Now, if he were to come back and say "I built this PC", then I would agree with your point. Even though, I don't know too many cases that don't mount the HDD rack in the right place...
    Sent from my iPadŽ

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    2,129
    Quote Originally Posted by abk View Post
    uh, I feel embarrassed to admit that I have never seen a HD before.
    http://images.google.com/images?q=%22hard+drive%22

  15. #15
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,066
    Most of those pictures are pretty poor examples as you'll never see a harddrive with the platters exposed like that... not installed in a case, anyway.
    Sent from my iPadŽ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. File IO
    By Jack1982 in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-15-2007, 01:14 AM
  2. Code Question
    By lyoncourt in forum C Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 04:33 PM
  3. binary data file
    By tucker81 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-08-2006, 12:50 AM
  4. Resource ICONs
    By gbaker in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 06:18 AM
  5. help getting program to work
    By jlmac2001 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-13-2002, 10:04 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21