Broadband performance on P3 and P4

This is a discussion on Broadband performance on P3 and P4 within the Tech Board forums, part of the Community Boards category; Hi Is there a major performance, speed difference in browsing/downloading with a P4 machine and a P3 one? (with a ...

  1. #1
    Android
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Kurunegala Colony, Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka
    Posts
    362

    Broadband performance on P3 and P4

    Hi
    Is there a major performance, speed difference in browsing/downloading with a P4 machine and a P3 one? (with a Broadband connection)
    thx.
    Some useless programs i've wrote : slprogrammersheaven
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/geekyzine
    My amature IT Blog: http://everything-geeky.blogspot.com/
    My Flash games: http://flashweed.blogspot.com/

    (and, sorry for my amature english)

  2. #2
    Kernel hacker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Farncombe, Surrey, England
    Posts
    15,677
    I doubt that you'd find any noticable difference - the main difference is in the download bandwidth, which is limited by the broadband, not the processor. A modern processor (P4/Athlon64) can easily do 100Mb/s "all day long" and still not use much more than 10% CPU performance, and your local broadband is likely less than 10MB/s with a processor that is much faster than 10% of a modern version.

    Of course, Firefox and IE will run a tad slower on an old processor, but not enough that you'd really notice most of the time.

    --
    Mats
    Compilers can produce warnings - make the compiler programmers happy: Use them!
    Please don't PM me for help - and no, I don't do help over instant messengers.

  3. #3
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,470
    Slowness will be due to insuffitient memory if P3 will have 256M or less of RAM and browser will have a lot of pages opened, and not due to processor speed
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  4. #4
    Math wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    582
    Simply downloading or uploading data would have a very minuscule effect on CPU usage. I've uploaded videos to YouTube many times over my 4 Mbps connection and P4 processor (512 Kbps upstream speed) and the amount of CPU usage barely registers on Windows Task Manager. The browser itself uses much more of the CPU to take the download data and process it so it displays properly in the browser. A P3 processor is typically quite a bit slower (half speed?) than a P4 and with my P4 using maybe a fraction of a percent of the CPU, even that 4 Mbps would likely work well on a P1 with still plenty of room for other processes.
    High elevation is the best elevation. The higher, the better the view!
    My computer: XP Pro SP3, 3.4 GHz i7-2600K CPU (OC'd to 4 GHz), 4 GB DDR3 RAM, X-Fi Platinum sound, GeForce 460, 1920x1440 resolution, 1250 GB HDD space, Visual C++ 2008 Express

  5. #5
    Android
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Kurunegala Colony, Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka
    Posts
    362
    thx 4 the replys guys. i asked that question cos couple of my friends say that CPU speed has a impact on up/download speed. so now that's not true. thx.
    Some useless programs i've wrote : slprogrammersheaven
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/geekyzine
    My amature IT Blog: http://everything-geeky.blogspot.com/
    My Flash games: http://flashweed.blogspot.com/

    (and, sorry for my amature english)

  6. #6
    pwns nooblars
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    1,094
    Even if you have a slower processor, there are browsers which work great on the slow speeds, check out Dillo if you need a lightweight browser.

  7. #7
    Android
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Kurunegala Colony, Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka
    Posts
    362
    no i have a 3.06 PIV. just asked the question to find out if thoes friends are right. thx.
    Some useless programs i've wrote : slprogrammersheaven
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/geekyzine
    My amature IT Blog: http://everything-geeky.blogspot.com/
    My Flash games: http://flashweed.blogspot.com/

    (and, sorry for my amature english)

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Tic Tac Toe program
    By muzihc in forum C Programming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-21-2008, 08:08 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21