Do I need more RAM ?

This is a discussion on Do I need more RAM ? within the Tech Board forums, part of the Community Boards category; Originally Posted by Wraithan ...if you have DDR1, go for another 256, since that is getting faded out as we ...

  1. #16
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraithan View Post
    ...if you have DDR1, go for another 256, since that is getting faded out as we speak. Check on newegg for the highest reviews for parts, typically they have the best customer feed back.
    I disagree. If you want to continue using the computer without upgrading, get more memory. That means a total of 1 GB or 2.
    Otherwise just do a full upgrade and get DDR2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  2. #17
    Dr Dipshi++ mike_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    On me hyperplane
    Posts
    1,218
    256mb is plenty for XP. Just maybe not for the programs that you want to run in it. If you havent done one recently, then I'd first do a defrag and clean out the registry. If your computers still running slow, and using the page file all the time then get some more RAM. 512mb should be plenty as long as you dont play new games or use demanding graphics software.

  3. #18
    Cat without Hat CornedBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    I assume it reports free physical memory? That's not a good way to measure, as you know.
    If the virtual memory use is 1 GB of a 512 mb system, then you're going to get swapping a lot.
    Are you saying that Windows will start swapping while there's still 128 MB of physical memory free? What kind of stupid memory management is that?
    All the buzzt!
    CornedBee

    "There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code."
    - Flon's Law

  4. #19
    Internet Superhero
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_g View Post
    256mb is plenty for XP. Just maybe not for the programs that you want to run in it. If you havent done one recently, then I'd first do a defrag and clean out the registry. If your computers still running slow, and using the page file all the time then get some more RAM. 512mb should be plenty as long as you dont play new games or use demanding graphics software.
    I agree. XP itself could probably be run with just 64mb of RAM if you wanted to, but just sitting here @ cboard, firefox uses 95mb memory, and Open Office uses 58mb, that's quite alot if you only have 256mb total. Either get more memory or do a complete system upgrade imo..
    How I need a drink, alcoholic in nature, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics.

  5. #20
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    Quote Originally Posted by CornedBee View Post
    Are you saying that Windows will start swapping while there's still 128 MB of physical memory free? What kind of stupid memory management is that?
    I do not know the right answer - but it is what we have.

    On my notebook right now the used memory size is 249M, total Physical memory - 256M and free physical memory 90M - so it means that about 83M are in swap...

    (and due to the physical memory size I prefer to run on this comp only Remote Desktop - so all programs I need are running on the main comp. The result is better than I try to start the simple IceBookReader directly on my comp for example (And I do not talk about some VC++ application or Photoshop)
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  6. #21
    Captain Crash brewbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    7,263
    Quote Originally Posted by CornedBee View Post
    Are you saying that Windows will start swapping while there's still 128 MB of physical memory free? What kind of stupid memory management is that?
    If you start swapping out when you hit a soft ceiling, then you can still maintain performance as the old pages get dropped from RAM. If you wait until you're against the wall, everything takes a hit as stuff swaps out.

  7. #22
    pwns nooblars
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    1,094
    Elysia: a total of 512 (if 256 has been enough so far) will be plenty until the OP is ready to move up to a new system. It would be wasteful to buy more than that especially since the cost of DDR1 is still high.

  8. #23
    Chinese pâté foxman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    404
    Here's what task manager says for my system. I currently have 392 MB of RAM (3x128 MB of PC-133), which is less than i would like to. I though about replacing one of those memory module for a 512 MB one but hey, i'm cheap, and can't find one for less than 10$. Note that my computer is 8 years old .

    Anyway. Here's the number. It says "122 MB of available memory, 178 MB swapped on the HD" (if i understand well), and there's really nothing much running on background. So i would say, 512 MB would be great, but 768 MB would be greater, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  9. #24
    Kernel hacker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Farncombe, Surrey, England
    Posts
    15,677
    No, the pagefile in task manager isn't what's in the pagefile on your disk, but how much memory is used in the entire system, RAM and on disk.

    --
    Mats
    Compilers can produce warnings - make the compiler programmers happy: Use them!
    Please don't PM me for help - and no, I don't do help over instant messengers.

  10. #25
    Chinese pâté foxman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    404
    Really ? That's interesting.

  11. #26
    Cat without Hat CornedBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,893
    Quote Originally Posted by brewbuck View Post
    If you start swapping out when you hit a soft ceiling, then you can still maintain performance as the old pages get dropped from RAM. If you wait until you're against the wall, everything takes a hit as stuff swaps out.
    You mean, by swapping out long-unused stuff, you can avoid a delay when swapping is finally necessary?
    All the buzzt!
    CornedBee

    "There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code."
    - Flon's Law

  12. #27
    pwns nooblars
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    1,094
    Pretty much, stuff that is the oldest and most unused in memory gets swapped out, allowing you to keep launching more and more applications, but you take a huge hit on load time when you click on a completely paged program that takes up more than the memory left. Since it has to page something then unpage as much of the once completely paged program.

  13. #28
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraithan View Post
    Pretty much, stuff that is the oldest and most unused in memory gets swapped out, allowing you to keep launching more and more applications, but you take a huge hit on load time when you click on a completely paged program that takes up more than the memory left. Since it has to page something then unpage as much of the once completely paged program.
    Get a Solid State Drive.

    Me want one of those Memorights.
    Last edited by SlyMaelstrom; 02-05-2008 at 12:29 PM.
    Sent from my iPad®

  14. #29
    pwns nooblars
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    1,094
    I want one of those so bad, but the price keeps me out of that market =(

  15. #30
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,897
    Quote Originally Posted by CornedBee View Post
    Are you saying that Windows will start swapping while there's still 128 MB of physical memory free? What kind of stupid memory management is that?
    Yeah, unfortunately, Windows is a complex beast and I certainly don't understand fully how it works.
    However, I'm assuming that with such little memory footprint, Windows actually wants to keep some RAM free so applications that demands more memory can actually receive it directly instead of having to page out something to make room before granting the request.
    Instead Windows might page out most unused pages to disk so as to keep some free. Makes sense, since it optimizes the speed of active applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. RAM upgrade
    By BobS0327 in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-10-2008, 08:14 AM
  2. Ways to save RAM when RAM is very limited
    By suzanne_lim in forum C Programming
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-07-2006, 01:39 AM
  3. Programming and RAM
    By spveer in forum C Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-16-2005, 12:17 PM
  4. RAM how do i know?
    By Boomba in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-18-2003, 09:17 PM
  5. pointerz
    By xlordt in forum C Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-11-2002, 08:31 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21