Multiple C Compilers installed

This is a discussion on Multiple C Compilers installed within the Tech Board forums, part of the Community Boards category; I currently have: - Visual Studio 2003 Professional installed + Service Pack - Visual Studio 2005 Professional installed + Service ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    21

    Multiple C Compilers installed

    I currently have:

    - Visual Studio 2003 Professional installed + Service Pack
    - Visual Studio 2005 Professional installed + Service Pack

    a project I am working on requires the FREE Visual Express C++ but also the Visual C# (both express Editions, Free).

    Does anyone here have a combination like this? I am pretty sure all 4 can co-exist without any "issues", perhaps I am wrong?

  2. #2
    Registered /usr
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts
    1,262
    Why install the Express versions when you have the professional suite (most recent version of Express tools is 2005)?

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by SMurf View Post
    Why install the Express versions when you have the professional suite (most recent version of Express tools is 2005)?
    I am not entirely sure that is true; hence my original question. I read somewhere (wish I could remember where) that there are differences between say C# Visual Express and C# in Visual Studio 2005 Pro, but I am not sure :-(

  4. #4
    Registered /usr
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts
    1,262
    The language itself would be the same; What the IDE gives you, like the ability to edit resources and stuff, is what you're paying for (Pro "does" more).

    Therefore I'm pretty sure that you can't install the same version of both Express and Pro.

  5. #5
    Cat without Hat CornedBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,893
    You might be able to, but it is simply unnecessary. Pro is a superset of Express.
    All the buzzt!
    CornedBee

    "There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code."
    - Flon's Law

  6. #6
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    the newest version of express is indead 2005, and the features it leaves out are truly enormous. So stripped down in fact that it doesnt provide a meaningful demonstration of the full versions abilities, or so I would hope. I D/L'd it and tried to compile an application and it refused to compile at all, it cant even find <windows.h> .
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  7. #7
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,473
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    the newest version of express is indead 2005, and the features it leaves out are truly enormous. So stripped down in fact that it doesnt provide a meaningful demonstration of the full versions abilities, or so I would hope. I D/L'd it and tried to compile an application and it refused to compile at all, it cant even find <windows.h> .
    To find windows.h you need to install Windows SDK as addition to the VS Express
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-08-2009, 03:03 PM
  2. Is It Possible To Install Multiple Compilers?
    By mishna_toreh in forum C Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-13-2005, 07:32 AM
  3. Linker errors - Multiple Source files
    By nkhambal in forum C Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2005, 02:41 AM
  4. Using multiple threads in REALLY old compilers
    By scooby13q in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-16-2002, 03:31 PM
  5. multiple compilers
    By newbie_grg in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-30-2002, 12:54 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21