Parallelism

This is a discussion on Parallelism within the Tech Board forums, part of the Community Boards category; Originally Posted by cerin When I said 'parallel compiler' I meant a compiler that automatically turns all applications you compile ...

  1. #16
    Just Lurking Dave_Sinkula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    5,006
    Quote Originally Posted by cerin View Post
    When I said 'parallel compiler' I meant a compiler that automatically turns all applications you compile into parallel ones not a compiler that itself is actually parallel.
    http://www.intel.com/cd/software/pro...8.htm#features ?
    7. It is easier to write an incorrect program than understand a correct one.
    40. There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.*

  2. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    465
    Thanks for the link. That is expensive....



    Quote Originally Posted by Cactus_Hugger View Post
    Between random links and great guides, it was meant partially as a joke. (That, and I was posting at 12:30 AM, something I apperently shouldn't do. )
    First, the context:
    After which, you'd expect a link to some sort of multithreading library. (At least, I would.) Rather, we got Beej's Guide to Network Programming. Nothing to do with parallelism ("...a discussion about multithreading is beyond the scope of this document..."). Granted, parallelism can be used in conjunction with sockets as a means to an ends when dealing with multiple connections, but the two are separate things.

    I would've expected a link along the lines of Boost Threads, POSIX Threads for Win32, etc.

    Sorry don't want to bash your sense of humor or anything but I didn't think it was clever enough to be a joke...
    Last edited by cerin; 06-01-2007 at 10:21 PM.
    My computer is awesome.

  3. #18
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    Thanks for the link. That is expensive....
    You can download free version for personal use on linux...

    And note that you still need some customization with pragrams to tell the compiler what part of the code to parallize... And of course - you should be smart enough here to gain instead of loss (due to locking mechanism)
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Parallelism
    By bob20 in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-27-2002, 06:46 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21