What editor should i download ?

This is a discussion on What editor should i download ? within the Tech Board forums, part of the Community Boards category; Hey guys, Im quite new to programing and so far i've been using 'putty' to log into my universitie's system ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2

    Wink What editor should i download ?

    Hey guys,
    Im quite new to programing and so far i've been using 'putty' to log into my universitie's system and write programs.. Can you please send me a link of where i can download an editor at home. So i dont need to be conneced to the net.
    Cheers

  2. #2
    Math wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    582
    Perhaps Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express? It's freeware and I use it. If that's not what you're after, then more details would be nice or someone else would have to answer.
    High elevation is the best elevation. The higher, the better the view!
    My computer: XP Pro SP3, 3.4 GHz i7-2600K CPU (OC'd to 4 GHz), 4 GB DDR3 RAM, X-Fi Platinum sound, GeForce 460, 1920x1440 resolution, 1250 GB HDD space, Visual C++ 2008 Express

  3. #3
    Deathray Engineer MacGyver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,211
    For compilers, you can google for LCC, MinGW, or even Borland's command line tools.

    For text editors, there are many: JEdit is nice because, since it's in Java, it's almost guarenteed to be the same on all platforms... about as much as can be guarenteed anyway.

  4. #4
    Registered User whiteflags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,627
    The usual suggestions are fine

    Because each editor has fanboys, gurus, haters, and complainers, I doubt our opinion matters. Look over features carefully and decide what you would use. Specific items on this list are simply things I've used before.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2
    ok... thanks
    would Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express be able to run just plain C programs ???

  6. #6
    Anirban Ghosh
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    278
    amico_ole

    If u r a beginner go for wxdevC++ : http://wxdsgn.sourceforge.net/index....c5241d64b0f0af

    else go for CODE BLOCKS : www.codeblocks.org . Do not forget to download the latest nightly build from there.

    You can also Visual Mingw Studio, Quincy 2005 too!!!!!

  7. #7
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,470
    Quote Originally Posted by amico_ole View Post
    ok... thanks
    would Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express be able to run just plain C programs ???
    Yes - just rename your files to .c after creation and inseart them into the project instead of cpp

    also check the option - Use compiler according to the extention instead of C++ always that can be on by default...
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    752
    What editor did you use while telnett'd into the university computers?
    Callou collei we'll code the way
    Of prime numbers and pings!

  9. #9
    Registered Abuser
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    591
    I'd stay away from MCVS unless you intend to use the Window's API, as it can lead you into many frustrating compatability issues when using some of its proprietary code/standards.
    Chances are your university is using GNU C, so you'll want an editor/IDE that uses that or a similar port. My vote goes to CodeBlocks if you need a feature-rich IDE or kate, emacs, or vim for simple (unix) editors or Quincy 99 (windows).

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7
    I personally really like gedit

  11. #11
    Reverse Engineer maxorator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,318
    I would just prefer a non-Microsoft solution. Their software is just annoying (10 different install files, 20 folders of useless stuff, need some extra downloads, 50% won't be compatible with your computer).
    "The Internet treats censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Reverse Engineering on a Download file
    By c_geek in forum C Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 03:15 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-30-2005, 02:51 AM
  3. IE 6 status bar
    By DavidP in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-23-2002, 05:31 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21