DVD nightmare

This is a discussion on DVD nightmare within the Tech Board forums, part of the Community Boards category; Hi all, i'm in a real trouble. i have this DVD which i use to store all my computer data. ...

  1. #1
    Android
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Kurunegala Colony, Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka
    Posts
    362

    Unhappy DVD nightmare

    Hi all,
    i'm in a real trouble. i have this DVD which i use to store all my computer data. i've

    burned data into it in couple of sessions now, and nothing went wrong - untill

    today. today, i wrote some new files into the disc and all the previous data in it

    dissapeared. But, when i run Nero's "Disc info" tool, it displays that the disc

    contains 4000MB of data. Though i could see none, when i open the disc in

    explorer. anybody know why this is, please?

    please i really need ur help
    thanx a lot.
    Some useless programs i've wrote : slprogrammersheaven
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/geekyzine
    My amature IT Blog: http://everything-geeky.blogspot.com/
    My Flash games: http://flashweed.blogspot.com/

    (and, sorry for my amature english)

  2. #2
    The superhaterodyne twomers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    2,262
    Are the files hidden? CHeck the options in explorer for that. Is it a DVD RW or just regular R?

  3. #3
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,473
    how many sessions have you made? as I remember there is a limit for CD-Rs (about 9) - maybe DVD-Rs have also such a limit? Have never encountered it cause I don't use multisession disks
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  4. #4
    Android
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Kurunegala Colony, Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka
    Posts
    362
    thanx 4 the replys

    The files are not hidden and the drive is a RW.

    >>how many sessions have you made? as I remember there is a limit for CD-Rs (about 9) - maybe DVD-Rs have also such a limit?

    10 sessions. may be u are right.
    but, even if there is such a limitation, would that means that weird things happens to the data if i exceed that limitation?
    Some useless programs i've wrote : slprogrammersheaven
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/geekyzine
    My amature IT Blog: http://everything-geeky.blogspot.com/
    My Flash games: http://flashweed.blogspot.com/

    (and, sorry for my amature english)

  5. #5
    The superhaterodyne twomers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    2,262
    It might result in undefined behaviour. I used to have an old video tape that said it could be used 30 times, can't remember the exact number. After I used more than the maximum number of times the image would get very very noisy and the sound would be messed up.

    I'm assuming something similar would happen with the DVD. May not be possible to retrieve the info in a comprehensible form I'm afraid.

  6. #6
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,473
    Quote Originally Posted by geek@02
    thanx 4 the replys

    The files are not hidden and the drive is a RW.

    >>how many sessions have you made? as I remember there is a limit for CD-Rs (about 9) - maybe DVD-Rs have also such a limit?

    10 sessions. may be u are right.
    but, even if there is such a limitation, would that means that weird things happens to the data if i exceed that limitation?
    Your writer should give you a warning
    And it should be able to set the "default" session - in this case you can retreive the info stored in the session
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  7. #7
    Android
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Kurunegala Colony, Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka
    Posts
    362
    (by saying 10 sessions, i meant that i did 10 sessions)
    i'm using Nero 7 and it didn't gave any warnings. but the data became invisible - though the Nero scan disk util even can dump the file names correctly.
    Last edited by geek@02; 01-20-2007 at 11:42 AM.
    Some useless programs i've wrote : slprogrammersheaven
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/geekyzine
    My amature IT Blog: http://everything-geeky.blogspot.com/
    My Flash games: http://flashweed.blogspot.com/

    (and, sorry for my amature english)

  8. #8
    Registered User code2d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    87
    Ok.....there is a quick solution its called http://www.isobuster.com/. I believe the trial can only do cds last time I checked, but It has probably changed so it can do dvd's for free. You may have to buy it. It scan's disk and get your data back.

    (tip:buy a spindle of dvd-r if its a older dvd burner or dvd+r for newer burners..check your manual..... for about $15 for 50 and never get rw's. Get a new disk every time you want to a burn.)
    Compiler in use: MinGW

    OS: Windows ME

  9. #9
    Android
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Kurunegala Colony, Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka
    Posts
    362
    ok i'll check that website.
    and thx again for all the replys.
    Some useless programs i've wrote : slprogrammersheaven
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/geekyzine
    My amature IT Blog: http://everything-geeky.blogspot.com/
    My Flash games: http://flashweed.blogspot.com/

    (and, sorry for my amature english)

  10. #10
    Registered User code2d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    87
    you are very welcome...it really is a great program
    Compiler in use: MinGW

    OS: Windows ME

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. HELP!!!!emergency Problem~expert please help
    By unknowppl in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-21-2008, 06:41 PM
  2. HELP!!!!emergency ~expert please help
    By unknowppl in forum C Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-19-2008, 07:35 AM
  3. CD as DVD
    By Liger86 in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-14-2004, 03:04 AM
  4. DVD ripper
    By afreedboy in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-28-2004, 04:30 PM
  5. Watching a dvd film.
    By adrianxw in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-11-2003, 01:25 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21