Configuring VPN

This is a discussion on Configuring VPN within the Tech Board forums, part of the Community Boards category; Hello guys, Have a quick question on configuring a VPN. I was trying to configure VPN on my local machine ...

  1. #1
    Registered User ssharish2005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    1,682

    Configuring VPN

    Hello guys,

    Have a quick question on configuring a VPN. I was trying to configure VPN on my local machine (win XP), so that i can access my machine anywhere else. Please correct me if i am wrong because i am just beginner in this.

    In order to use the VPN we got to have VPN server configures on my local machines so that it can get all the incoming VPN calls from the clients. My problem is here.

    This is how my home networking infrastructure look like. I have Linksys router(WRT54G). Behind that we got totally 3 system on IP ranges from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.102. For the information i have opened the VPN port 1723 on my router to accept the incoming calls. Is there anymore ports which need to opened??

    When i try to configure my VPN serve we will be asked to enter the IP address. I have read tutorials on the web but i dint understand. May be u all can help me. By default most the tutorial say that select the DHCP option. Some say to give static IP address.

    Can any one explain me why do need to have an IP address there. Which is the best way is it Dynamic or static. More over from the remote Mahican how do I connect to my home PC. Which IP address should I use. Is that the IP address given by the ISP. That is nothing much WAN IP address or something else which need to be entered while it ask me for the Host IP address on connecting to my home PC.

    Thanks very much guys. Sorry for the lengthy post.

    ssharish2005

  2. #2
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    As I understand you should also configure port forwarding on your router to transfer the connections accepted on the port 1723 to one of your local machines with the same port

    When you connect from outside you just use the IP of your router
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  3. #3
    Registered User ssharish2005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    1,682
    vart thanks for the reply. Well i guess i have done that. I have forwarded port 1723 which is the default port of the VPN to direct to my local machine. So for example my local machine IP address is 192.168.1.101 which is allocated by the DHCP server. All the packet coming through port 1723 is been directed to 192.168.1.101. Is this is right or did u mean something else.

    ssharish2005

  4. #4
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    yes, that's what I think you should do...
    Note that to connect from the Inet - you should use the public IP of your router
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  5. #5
    Registered User ssharish2005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    1,682
    Vart, I think i have done that, but still no luck. Do you know any about the configurating VPN server. I guess that is where i am going wrong.

    ssharish2005

  6. #6
    Registered User Bajanine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    The most peaks over 10,000 feet!
    Posts
    396
    May need to enable PPTP Passthrough. I think you may need to forward ports 500 and 5051 to the vpn server. This is from memory so the port numbers may be incorrect.

    Also, I would suggest OpenVPN it is all I currently use.
    Favorite Quote:

    >For that reason someone invented C++.
    BLASPHEMY! Begone from my C board, you foul lover of objects, before the gods of C cast you into the void as punishment for your weakness! There is no penance for saying such things in my presence. You are henceforth excommunicated. Never return to this house, filthy heretic!



Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. SQL over VPN
    By Liger86 in forum Networking/Device Communication
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-16-2009, 02:22 PM
  2. vpn lib
    By AngKar in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-13-2006, 04:27 PM
  3. vpn not working
    By Waldo2k2 in forum Networking/Device Communication
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2005, 12:45 AM
  4. Script App for SSL VPN Link
    By Hobbes80 in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-09-2004, 01:32 PM
  5. vpn???
    By Bajanine in forum Networking/Device Communication
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-26-2003, 12:13 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21