MSVC 6 Intermittent Linker Crashing

This is a discussion on MSVC 6 Intermittent Linker Crashing within the Tech Board forums, part of the Community Boards category; Hello, Every now and then when I compile and link something with VC 6 I get this:- Code: --------------------Configuration: retrieve ...

  1. #1
    Registered /usr
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts
    1,262

    MSVC 6 Intermittent Linker Crashing

    Hello,

    Every now and then when I compile and link something with VC 6 I get this:-
    Code:
    --------------------Configuration: retrieve - Win32 Debug--------------------
    Compiling...
    main.c
    Linking...
    LINK : error : Internal error during SetupPhase
      ExceptionCode            = C0000005
      ExceptionFlags           = 00000000
      ExceptionAddress         = 00436134
      NumberParameters         = 00000002
      ExceptionInformation[ 0] = 00000000
      ExceptionInformation[ 1] = 00000018
    CONTEXT:
      Eax    = 00000000  Esp    = 0012F598
      Ebx    = 400049F8  Ebp    = 3FFF3BE4
      Ecx    = 00000000  Esi    = 3FFFA6DC
      Edx    = 3587DA85  Edi    = 004BEA21
      Eip    = 00436134  EFlags = 00010202
      SegCs  = 0000001B  SegDs  = 00000023
      SegSs  = 00000023  SegEs  = 00000023
      SegFs  = 0000003B  SegGs  = 00000000
      Dr0    = 0012F598  Dr3    = 400049F8
      Dr1    = 3FFF3BE4  Dr6    = 00000000
      Dr2    = 00000000  Dr7    = 00000000
    Error executing link.exe.
    Tool execution canceled by user.
    Has anyone else come across this? I think I've got the most recent service pack installed but I can't see how I can check.

  2. #2
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    ...to determine your current service pack level, you need to look up a registry value.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio \6.0\ServicePacks

    View the REG_DWORD latest value. The data value equals the service pack version.

    Here's the KB article about it.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;316915
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Linker problem... no idea
    By cyreon in forum C Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2009, 02:53 PM
  2. linker
    By George2 in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-23-2008, 12:25 AM
  3. Linker errors in VC++ 2005
    By C+/- in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 07:42 AM
  4. GCC (cygwin) much faster than MSVC, Borland?
    By Sargnagel in forum C Programming
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 03:15 AM
  5. MSVis-Studio C++ libraries and linker errors
    By kellydj in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-12-2002, 01:03 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21