So, I finally got high(er)-speed internet! Ok it's not blazingly fast. 512kb down, 128kb up. It's still better than dial-up. Anyway, we got it through Xplornet, which is a satellite internet provider.
One of the first things I went for was a bittorrent client. Unfortunatly, routers don't seem to like P2P, as all my download speeds are that of dial-up (1-4kb/s), where HTTP and FTP downloads are all around 40-50kb/s.
I'm using uTorrent 1.6, and I have a Dlink, DI-604 router. I've read that I should try port forwarding, but AFAIK, I need a static IP address, which I don't believe Xplornet supports ("ipconfig /all" just gives me 192.168.0.1 for a DNS address).
The uTorrent port forwarding test says OK, but i'm still getting a yellow exlamation mark thing in the status bar.
I've made sure uTorrent is an exception in the SP2 firewall.
There's a filter page in my routers firewall options, where BitTorrent and Azureus are set. I didn't set them, and I don't really know exactly how to go about adding programs to that filter. However, I still had the same issues with those clients, so I don't know if it would help.
Anyway, the basic question here, is how to speed up uTorrent (or any client really), without using a static IP (or if i'm misunderstanding what static IP their talking about).