Networking 98 with XP

This is a discussion on Networking 98 with XP within the Tech Board forums, part of the Community Boards category; I got a laptop today and i am trying to netowrk it with my desktop... My desktop is a win98 ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    24

    Networking 98 with XP

    I got a laptop today and i am trying to netowrk it with my desktop...

    My desktop is a win98 machine
    My laptop is a winXP machine

    im going through a 4 port router which i conected to the internet... I have the internet on bot computers and it works fine... I have never networked 2 computers together befor so i really dont know all the terminology but ill try to explain my problem...

    I set up XP machine for the network... It has a neat little network setup wizard which did everything for me... then i went to my 98 machine a searched under FIND COMPUTERS for my XP Machine...

    Windows 98 see's my XP machine...

    But when i goto my XP machine and try to search for the 98 Machine it does not see it... I dont think i have my 98 machine configured right...

    Can someone walk me throught the steps of setting up 98 for my network... Neither machine is running a server i dont think.

  2. #2
    RoD
    RoD is offline
    Redundantly Redundant RoD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    6,331
    search the boards, coverd many times.

    in short u need a netboui and a tcp/ip binded to your network card on the 98 box. the ip should be after the xp machine in series, ie, if xp box is 192.168.0.2 then the 98 would be 192.168.0.3...also make sure that you have two tcp/ip's, only one with a configured ip adress. I left some out but a search will fix u up.

  3. #3
    Me -=SoKrA=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    448
    Tried to network a Win98 with a WinMe. Didn't work. Tried Win98 with WinXP. Didn't work. Put toghether WinXP and WinXP. Worked without trying.
    That's life. Sorry I can't help but I think it's impossible.
    SoKrA-BTS "Judge not the program I made, but the one I've yet to code"
    I say what I say, I mean what I mean.
    IDE: emacs + make + gcc and proud of it.

  4. #4
    RoD
    RoD is offline
    Redundantly Redundant RoD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    6,331
    Originally posted by -=SoKrA=-
    Tried to network a Win98 with a WinMe. Didn't work. Tried Win98 with WinXP. Didn't work. Put toghether WinXP and WinXP. Worked without trying.
    That's life. Sorry I can't help but I think it's impossible.
    its about as far from impossible as it can be. 98/xp/me/2k and such work together nicely if u kno what you are doing.

  5. #5
    Me -=SoKrA=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    448
    Originally posted by Ride -or- Die
    its about as far from impossible as it can be. 98/xp/me/2k and such work together nicely if u kno what you are doing.
    Then I probably didn't know what I was doing. I wasn't working when I first tried the XP-XP network it didn't work because the cable was a bit loose in the socket. It might have been the problem with that as well, but I think I tried moving the cable as well. Anyhow, you probably know a lot more about networks than I do.
    Bye
    SoKrA-BTS "Judge not the program I made, but the one I've yet to code"
    I say what I say, I mean what I mean.
    IDE: emacs + make + gcc and proud of it.

  6. #6
    Registered User dirkduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    428
    This is _exactly_ what happened to me (other than the internet conenction). Anyways, on the desktop, make sure that you have added tcp/ip and netbeui (sp?) protocols for your adapter (control panel>network). I had done that and it only worked sometimes, so I re-installed the protocols and it worked fine from then on. On the TCP\IP properties for the adapter, set to a static IP, 192.168.0.x on each computer (for instance, on my setup I had .3 and .10) If I remember correctly that was about it. If its not working still, check to make sure you have file sharing enabled (not sure if you have to, but if your out of luck, might as well give it a try). Good luck!

  7. #7
    RoD
    RoD is offline
    Redundantly Redundant RoD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    6,331
    Originally posted by dirkduck
    This is _exactly_ what happened to me (other than the internet conenction). Anyways, on the desktop, make sure that you have added tcp/ip and netbeui (sp?) protocols for your adapter (control panel>network). I had done that and it only worked sometimes, so I re-installed the protocols and it worked fine from then on. On the TCP\IP properties for the adapter, set to a static IP, 192.168.0.x on each computer (for instance, on my setup I had .3 and .10) If I remember correctly that was about it. If its not working still, check to make sure you have file sharing enabled (not sure if you have to, but if your out of luck, might as well give it a try). Good luck!
    you should have noted the ip's should be placed under alternate config.

  8. #8
    Registered User dirkduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    428
    "you should have noted the ip's should be placed under alternate config.""

    Sorry, dont know what that means (I'm not too good with networks )

  9. #9
    RoD
    RoD is offline
    Redundantly Redundant RoD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    6,331
    when u keep "obtain ip auto" as an option theres another tab called Alternate Configuration, where u can enter an ip manually.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Program works on Windows XP and 2000, not on 98 or ME
    By MidnightlyCoder in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2006, 03:36 PM
  2. Question..
    By pode in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-19-2004, 07:05 PM
  3. HUGE fps jump
    By DavidP in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 11:36 AM
  4. Resource ICONs
    By gbaker in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 07:18 AM
  5. Dual Booting Win XP & Win 98
    By netboy in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-18-2003, 03:29 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21