Like Tree55Likes

Need to know parameter format for a Call function?

This is a discussion on Need to know parameter format for a Call function? within the Tech Board forums, part of the Community Boards category; Originally Posted by Elkvis Please read this page before you make any more ignorant assumptions about how memory works in ...

  1. #106
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkvis View Post
    Please read this page before you make any more ignorant assumptions about how memory works in x86 protected mode.
    Thanks Elkvis! Finally something that I can use and it came from Wikipedia of all places.

    Now I need to know if the registers in an X86 computer are physically inside of, or physically outside of the Intel or AMD X86 processors? (I'm of the opinion that, like memory, they are probably outside of the processor but they could be inside of them.)

    Will
    Last edited by Will1; 07-29-2014 at 10:09 PM.

  2. #107
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Will1 View Post
    Thanks Elkvis! finally something that I can use and it came from Wikipedia of all places.

    Now I need to know if the registers in an X86 computer are physically inside of, or physically outside of the Intel or AMD X86 processors? (I'm of the opinion that, like memory, they are probably outside of the processor but they could be inside of it.)

    Will
    LOL

    Tim S.
    Matticus likes this.
    "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." Rick Cook

  3. #108
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,502
    Is it possible that you are this William R. Mattison? It would explain why a programmer with an alleged 40 years of experience would have so little knowledge of modern operating systems and CPU hardware. It also correlates with your stated political views. DOS was still on the uphill side of its run in 1991.
    Code:
    namespace life
    {
        const bool change = true;
    }

  4. #109
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by stahta01 View Post
    LOL

    Tim S.
    Tim: Does LOL mean I don't know? it seems to me that's what you mean!

    Will

  5. #110
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkvis View Post
    Is it possible that you are this William R. Mattison? It would explain why a programmer with an alleged 40 years of experience would have so little knowledge of modern operating systems and CPU hardware. It also correlates with your stated political views. DOS was still on the uphill side of its run in 1991.
    So! Go out and publicize the fact that this "Damn Yankee" was "RailRoaded" by a bunch of "Good Ole Boy" lawyers, including the chief and trial judges, in Nashville Tennessee. Unless you have been tried in the lawyer owned and controlled courts of this country you will never know how corrupt our judicial system is - enough said!

    Will

  6. #111
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Will1 View Post
    Now I need to know if the registers in an X86 computer are physically inside of, or physically outside of the Intel or AMD X86 processors? (I'm of the opinion that, like memory, they are probably outside of the processor but they could be inside of it.)
    I am going to assume that this is a serious question. I can understand that if you worked on mainframes for a significant part of your career, the hardware differences of mainframes versus PCs, and the fuzzy line of what is and what is not contained in the processor in a discrete logic based machine, you actually might not know the answer to this question. Every processor in the line that started with the Intel 8086 has had its registers contained within the chip itself, as part of the CPU hardware. The registers are similar to RAM, but they operate at the clock speed of the processor. Starting with the 80386, the set of registers included the following:

    Segment Registers:
    CS
    DS
    SS
    ES
    FS
    GS

    General Purpose Registers:
    EAX
    EBX
    ECX
    EDX
    EBP
    ESP
    EDI
    ESI

    Instruction pointer:
    EIP

    Status Register:
    EFLAGS

    Control Registers:
    CR0 - Protection enable, paging enable, etc
    CR1 - Reserved
    CR2 - Page fault linear address
    CR3 - Page directory base address
    CR4 - Protected mode flags

    The increase to 64-bit processing renamed the general purpose registers from EAX to RAX and so on. 8 additional general purpose registers were added, named R8 through R15. Several other control registers were added, but I'm not especially familiar with them.

    Long story short, registers are part of the CPU, not external to it.
    Code:
    namespace life
    {
        const bool change = true;
    }

  7. #112
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Will1 View Post
    So! Go out and publicize the fact that this "Damn Yankee" was "RailRoaded" by a bunch of "Good Ole Boy" lawyers, including the chief and trial judges, in Nashville Tennessee. Unless you have been tried in the lawyer owned and controlled courts of this country you will never know how corrupt our judicial system is - enough said!

    Will
    I wasn't judging. I was actually giving you the benefit of the doubt, looking for a rational explanation that would give you some credibility, and if this is in fact your story, then it may just be that I've misjudged you. I actually have been dragged through the federal court system on ridiculous charges. My case was dismissed when the judge realized just how ridiculous it was, but it is still something that I have to deal with, 14 years later.
    Code:
    namespace life
    {
        const bool change = true;
    }

  8. #113
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,570
    Now I need to know if the registers in an X86 computer are physically inside of, or physically outside of the Intel or AMD X86 processors?
    Now I'm certain that you're trolling.

  9. #114
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkvis View Post
    I am going to assume that this is a serious question. I can understand that if you worked on mainframes for a significant part of your career, the hardware differences of mainframes versus PCs, and the fuzzy line of what is and what is not contained in the processor in a discrete logic based machine, you actually might not know the answer to this question. Every processor in the line that started with the Intel 8086 has had its registers contained within the chip itself, as part of the CPU hardware. The registers are similar to RAM, but they operate at the clock speed of the processor.
    Thenks Elkvis! I.m going to go ahead and assume that you are right. You seem to know a great deal about the architecture of the hardware of the X86 line of computers. I assume that AMD is still "copying" the Intel processor (or chip as you say) but will go to them to see if I can get them to help me with what I am attempting to do. (Intel is bigger than AMD and the bigger the corporation the harder it is to actually talk to someone in charge. You have to swim the mote, climb the castle wall, and fight your way through the army that they have built between themselves and the general public.)It seems a bit amazing that so much hardware can be contained in a chip that is about 2 inches by two inches in size. In 1998 I built a PC from parts I bought and still think that the registers may be on the motherboard rather than inside the Intel or AMD chip, but I'll take your word that they are unless I find out differently.

  10. #115

  11. #116
    Master Apprentice phantomotap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,335
    Now I'm certain that you're trolling.
    O_o

    seven years!

    That is an extremely dedicated troll...

    @Will: You've been parading "ADAM" around for many years. Don't you think that is a little long to be trying scavenge your work? You've been told the things in this thread many times over many years. What Elkvis posted in #111 was offered once before over four years ago. In the time you've spent pretending to know what you are talking about, you could have very nearly mastered it resulting in you actually knowing what you are talking about.

    Soma
    Sebastiani likes this.
    “Often out of periods of losing come the greatest strivings toward a new winning streak.” -- Fred Rogers
    “Salem Was Wrong!” -- Pedant Necromancer

  12. #117
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,681
    Microprocessor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I suggest learning about this "new" invention called Microprocessors.

    If you do NOT wish me to post a lot of LOL (Laugh Out Load) in this thread.

    Tim S.
    "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." Rick Cook

  13. #118
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas
    Posts
    104
    [QUOTE=phantomotap;1208743]O_o

    seven years!{/QUOT]

    It was about 20 years ago tht I decided to update ADAM to 32 bit technology.

    That is an extremely dedicated troll...

    @Will: You've been parading "ADAM" around for many years. Don't you think that is a little long to be trying scavenge your work? You've been told the things in this thread many times over many years. What Elkvis posted in #111 was offered once before over four years ago. In the time you've spent pretending to know what you are talking about, you could have very nearly mastered it resulting in you actually knowing what you are talking about.
    Actually, I only decided to start the project a couple of months ago and only have been on this forum for about a month.

    Elkvis showed me why I have to attack the problem fom a different direction.

    Will
    Last edited by Will1; 07-30-2014 at 01:32 PM.

  14. #119
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by stahta01 View Post
    Microprocessor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I suggest learning about this "new" invention called Microprocessors.
    I already know enough about the Intel and AMD microprocessors and your link to Wikipedia was virtually useless to me.

    If you do NOT wish me to post a lot of LOL (Laugh Out Load) in this thread.

    Tim S.
    Posting little sarcasms doesn't accomplish anything except, as I told Elkvis, create animosty, I already knew what LOL means but you were sarcatically using it rather than admitting that you don't know the answer to my question. I trust that Elkvis does know the answer and he gave it to me rather than making useless posts like you have done.

    Will

  15. #120
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkvis View Post
    I wasn't judging. I was actually giving you the benefit of the doubt, looking for a rational explanation that would give you some credibility, and if this is in fact your story, then it may just be that I've misjudged you. I actually have been dragged through the federal court system on ridiculous charges. My case was dismissed when the judge realized just how ridiculous it was, but it is still something that I have to deal with, 14 years later.
    I guess that you have had experience with our corrupt judicial system. The actual history of what happened to me is too long to post on a forum. The one important fact that I left out is that Federal Judge Wiseman, the chef judge of the Middle Tennessee distruict was, for all intents and purposes, the only witness against me and his prejudice against me was blatantly obvious when he testified. He had a long political career in Nashville. The jury asked a question about the legal definition of the word "threat" and I argued with the trial judge, Judge Higgins, about that definition and he ordered me to sit down and shut up or he would find me in contempt of court so the jury got the legal definition of the word threat. It is that if the person receiving the alleged threat believes it is a threat then it is a threat regardless of whether the person making it considered it a threat or not. In my case, I considered it political speech. Judge Wiseman made sure that the jury was berated with the fact that I was making a threat. He was the person who received it and it was in a pleading to transfer a civil case being tried in the Nashville court to the federal court becasue I was being sued by a person who resided in Kentucky. Naturally, the Nashville judge and the federal judge denied the motion. The whole thing cost me the fortune that I made programming ADAM to run on the IBM 360 system.

    I don't know which one said it, but one of the founders of this once greatest nation that ever existed said, "Where the people fear the government there is tyranny, where the government fears the people there is liberty!" Think about that on April 15.

    I imagine your case cost you thousands of dollars for which the courts will never repay you.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Function call Overhead and Function Call Stack
    By Alam Khan in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-26-2014, 08:28 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-03-2011, 06:30 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-24-2006, 12:22 AM
  4. Parameter in a function
    By cpluspluser in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-09-2003, 07:48 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21