Like Tree9Likes

Look at all that Empty!

This is a discussion on Look at all that Empty! within the Tech Board forums, part of the Community Boards category; Originally Posted by phantomotap I'm going to ignore that because you clearly arrived at that purely by accident trying to ...

  1. #31
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,025
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomotap View Post
    I'm going to ignore that because you clearly arrived at that purely by accident trying to clear a spillage of some kind from your keyboard.
    I use the term loosely. Anything can be broken, but if you follow good guidelines, you can make it harder, so that it doesn't take a few seconds to break it.

    I see your way of doing it, though. Cannot say I would use it, though. It seems "over the head" for most. So I'm sticking with my original phrase. If you don't have passwords saved on your computer, you're doing something wrong. It's good enough to cover all the cases I see now, with yours being an exception to my way of seeing things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  2. #32
    Master Apprentice phantomotap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,415
    Wow, I think I just soiled my pants. You better get encrypting those drives, MutantJohn!
    O_o

    You know, your trolling used to be much better.

    Are you feeling ill these past few months?

    Soma
    Yarin likes this.
    “Often out of periods of losing come the greatest strivings toward a new winning streak.” -- Fred Rogers
    “Salem Was Wrong!” -- Pedant Necromancer

  3. #33
    Tweaking master Aslaville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Rogueport
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomotap View Post
    O_o

    I agree that the "Because Linux" mindset is terribly flawed, but your argument is rally just as flawed.

    How many "Windows" packages have "zeroth day" exploits? (Actually, how many people are still running "Windows XP" on the internet despite the "end of life" status?) How many "Mac OSX" packages "zeroth" day exploits?

    You want to be secure? Start by abandoning any flavor of "Because Linux" or "Because Windows".

    Soma
    I would argue that there are much less 0-days on Windows software than Linux software(unless you are installing some software which you can well see is fishy).
    In C++14 you just write "auto auto(auto auto) { auto; }".
    The compiler infers the rest from context.

  4. #34
    Registered User MutantJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,283
    Well, this certainly blew up O_o

    Sorry, phantom, there are no pictures of my gf on my computer.

    You did get me, though, with someone hacking my FaceBook acount. Through I'm sure my friends would understand that it was a hacker pretending to be me vs me. My FaceBook friends know me irl and would think it is oddly uncharacteristic.

    I was just under the assumption that hackers were in it for the money otherwise, what's the point? Sure, they can ruin my online life but that seems particularly malicious and only has the gain of entertainment. It seems like it'd be a lot of work for not that much benefit.

    And are you kidding? I love Yarin's trolling! You mean they used to be better at it? XD

    And is Linux really not secure? I've been living a lie!!!

  5. #35
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,025
    Quote Originally Posted by MutantJohn View Post
    I was just under the assumption that hackers were in it for the money otherwise, what's the point? Sure, they can ruin my online life but that seems particularly malicious and only has the gain of entertainment. It seems like it'd be a lot of work for not that much benefit.
    There are a lot of malware writers out there who don't do it for the money. Don't try to consider for whatever reason they might do it. Just know that they may harm you, and that should be enough to take it seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  6. #36
    Master Apprentice phantomotap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,415
    Sorry, phantom, there are no pictures of my gf on my computer.
    O_o

    You should be be sorry. I've already spent all that time "h@x0r1ng ur b0xen".

    What I'm doing this for if not for pornography?

    And is Linux really not secure? I've been living a lie!
    Nobody said that "GNU/Linux" world can't be secure.

    You just aren't secure "Because Linux.". You have to work at it.

    *shrug*

    Same with all the other systems...

    Soma
    “Often out of periods of losing come the greatest strivings toward a new winning streak.” -- Fred Rogers
    “Salem Was Wrong!” -- Pedant Necromancer

  7. #37
    Registered User whiteflags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,762
    If you don't have passwords saved on your computer, you're doing something wrong.
    People have an uncanny ability to take the simplest of my directions and then do the completely wrong thing.

    It's good enough to cover all the cases I see now, with yours being an exception to my way of seeing things.
    O____________________________o

    You could do with being a little more paranoid. Interpreted one way, you just told everyone involved in "all the cases [you] see now" to store a Word file called password on their desktop.
    Last edited by whiteflags; 06-25-2014 at 05:15 PM.

  8. #38
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,025
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteflags View Post
    You could do with being a little more paranoid. Interpreted one way, you just told everyone involved in "all the cases [you] see now" to store a Word file called password on their desktop.
    That's fine, as long as it's encrypted and you don't allow other people to use your account. If the file is encrypted using a password (as opposed to being tied to your user account), then it's fine as long as you don't give up that password.
    Okay, to be honest, it's really bad practice, but getting security right is hard, you know? So I expect everyone to at least do that.
    Of course, if you know some other good approach to security that's good, then feel free to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  9. #39
    Registered User MutantJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,283
    You mean like not even having a computer in the first place?

    Oh! I am on fire!
    whiteflags likes this.

  10. #40
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,025
    Quote Originally Posted by MutantJohn View Post
    You mean like not even having a computer in the first place?
    Sure, that's one way of doing it.

    Quote Originally Posted by MutantJohn View Post
    Oh! I am on fire!
    Just don't set your apartment or computer on fire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Empty Fl_Window?
    By SterlingM in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-17-2011, 08:14 PM
  2. empty
    By KIBO in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 07:09 AM
  3. MFC in an empty project
    By cunnus88 in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2005, 10:19 AM
  4. File Empty?
    By quizkiwi in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-13-2005, 07:49 AM
  5. .empty()
    By minesweeper in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-07-2002, 06:26 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21