"Out of Ideas"
Hey, just wondering if anyone has some ideas on programs to write. I have been programming for a while now and i dont have any ideas on what programs to make. Im not quite an expert yet but im not a beginner either, but all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
For example, you can try to do a RPG game (without graphics) using files, structs... all you learned.
Code Chef, Project Euler, SPOJ.
That will keep you busy!
- Make a phone book
- Make a task scheduler
- Make a "Mad Libs" style program
- Learn about a data structure you know nothing about
- If you're under 31.5 years old, write a program that will calculate your one billionth second alive (mine was just this past April)
- Write a program to automate a task for work or your hobbies
- Pick a new library and start learning that (if you're code is strictly console-based, consider a GUI or game library)
- Buy some hardware and start learning how to program embedded devices
I know how you feel, I often end up out of ideas too. It's hard to make the switch from beginner to expert without some kind of formal learning plan.
Ask a friend or family member for something they need, and code it. Outside of my professional work, almost everything I've coded has been for either my own benefit or for someone I know. Asking other people is a more accurate representation of what professional coding is like.
Thanks heaps for all those suggestions guys, that will keep me going for a while.