Like Tree4Likes

Software Protection

This is a discussion on Software Protection within the Tech Board forums, part of the Community Boards category; Originally Posted by whiteflags Well that's wrong. As a customer I've never felt like I could tell anyone to do ...

  1. #16
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,452
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteflags View Post
    Well that's wrong. As a customer I've never felt like I could tell anyone to do anything.
    The point is that you, as a developer, should listen to your customers. Users should feel like they can tell the developer to implement some stuff. That creates a happy customer.
    So I am unsure of what you feel is wrong.

    And when you want to quit? Either:
    a) groom your successor, or
    b) freeze development and work under an alias for the rest of your career

    I have no shortage of alternate names.
    If you groom a successor, you have to think about your existing customers. If you simply quit and tell them to pay for the successor again, they are not going to be happy.
    And if you disappear... well, that's just a big F*** YOU to your customers. Not very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  2. #17
    Registered User whiteflags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    If you groom a successor, you have to think about your existing customers. If you simply quit and tell them to pay for the successor again, they are not going to be happy.

    And if you disappear... well, that's just a big F*** YOU to your customers. Not very nice.
    That's tough for the customer because it really has nothing to do with them. "Grooming a successor" means you chose someone to take over your responsibilities in development. That means you can move on to other things. You probably seriously misunderstood me on this point so I'm not going to address what you said about paying again.

    And the other option is not as big a deal as you make it out to be. If you as a developer are not going to make another version, customers have to live with that. Software does eventually get shelved. Can you still buy XP? Eventually it's not going to be updated.

  3. #18
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,452
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteflags View Post
    ...You probably seriously misunderstood me on this point so I'm not going to address what you said about paying again...
    Yeah, I did misunderstand you there...

    And the other option is not as big a deal as you make it out to be. If you as a developer are not going to make another version, customers have to live with that. Software does eventually get shelved. Can you still buy XP? Eventually it's not going to be updated.
    All I am saying is you can't just drop maintenance out of the blue, or too quickly. You have to support your users for some minimum amount of time, at least.
    Otherwise, there is going to be an outburst, and the users will start disliking you, which is not a good thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Protection of DLLs
    By Poche in forum C# Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-04-2009, 08:30 PM
  2. How to add copy protection to a software?
    By h3ro in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 09-07-2008, 07:09 PM
  3. C++ or C DRM Software protection developer
    By miles.spencer in forum Projects and Job Recruitment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-08-2006, 02:56 AM
  4. Best software copy protection program
    By axr0284 in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 08:07 AM
  5. Making a virus protection software
    By DanielH in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-06-2002, 06:36 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21