where can i find rich documentation for Fat32 (for OS development)

This is a discussion on where can i find rich documentation for Fat32 (for OS development) within the Tech Board forums, part of the Community Boards category; Hello all . I'm searching for any kind of technical documents to use it as a reference for Os development ...

  1. #1
    بابلی ریکا Masterx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somewhere nearby,Who Cares?
    Posts
    493

    where can i find rich documentation for Fat32 (for OS development)

    Hello all .
    I'm searching for any kind of technical documents to use it as a reference for Os development . any Open Source Project or any articles suitable for implementation purposes is greatly appreciated .

    Thanks in advance .
    Highlight Your Codes
    The Boost C++ Libraries (online Reference)

    "...a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are,in short, a perfect match.."
    Bill Bryson


  2. #2
    and the hat of wrongness Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The edge of the known universe
    Posts
    32,418
    Since FAT32 is proprietary, definitive documentation is likely to cost you $$$

    You might be able to get enough from say OSRC: File Systems
    If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.
    If at first you don't succeed, try writing your phone number on the exam paper.
    I support http://www.ukip.org/ as the first necessary step to a free Europe.

  3. #3
    Master Apprentice phantomotap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,147
    O_o

    FAT32 isn't proprietary. It was realized as a trivial extension to FAT12/FAT16.

    What is proprietary is the VFAT "Long Filename Support" for backwards compatibility. There are four or five patents still in force for those bits. It is easily possible to implement FAT12/FAT16 that infringes those patents as readily as a FAT32 implementation might.

    Microsoft will happily apply the thumbscrews if you implement those bits without a valid license. (Which, despite my distaste for the company, is actually quite reasonable.)

    If you implement FAT32 without using bits covered by patents, which is difference depending on where in the universe you live, you should be fine. If you are worried about it, consult a lawyer.



    It should be noted that many devices implementing FAT32 sidestep the issue by using different methods, specifically those that one would consider to be blindingly obvious, to support long filenames without infringing.



    Microsoft's website still distributes the original specification. You will have to "sign" an agreement to download the specification. The specification is free, but hasn't been updated in a very long time.

    If that isn't acceptable, you can easily find partial references. If you put a few of them together you'd have an entire reference.

    Soma

  4. #4
    Password:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    587
    FAT - OSDev Wiki Explore the site, it will be very helpful to you.

  5. #5
    بابلی ریکا Masterx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somewhere nearby,Who Cares?
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    Since FAT32 is proprietary, definitive documentation is likely to cost you $$$

    You might be able to get enough from say OSRC: File Systems
    thank you very much
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomotap View Post
    O_o

    FAT32 isn't proprietary. It was realized as a trivial extension to FAT12/FAT16.

    What is proprietary is the VFAT "Long Filename Support" for backwards compatibility. There are four or five patents still in force for those bits. It is easily possible to implement FAT12/FAT16 that infringes those patents as readily as a FAT32 implementation might.

    Microsoft will happily apply the thumbscrews if you implement those bits without a valid license. (Which, despite my distaste for the company, is actually quite reasonable.)

    If you implement FAT32 without using bits covered by patents, which is difference depending on where in the universe you live, you should be fine. If you are worried about it, consult a lawyer.



    It should be noted that many devices implementing FAT32 sidestep the issue by using different methods, specifically those that one would consider to be blindingly obvious, to support long filenames without infringing.



    Microsoft's website still distributes the original specification. You will have to "sign" an agreement to download the specification. The specification is free, but hasn't been updated in a very long time.

    If that isn't acceptable, you can easily find partial references. If you put a few of them together you'd have an entire reference.

    Soma
    Thanks Soma , where exactly should i search for these kind of docs on Microsoft website actually? (and sign that agreement ? )
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name: View Post
    FAT - OSDev Wiki Explore the site, it will be very helpful to you.
    thank you very much , OSDev Wiki is indeed a great place for people like me thanks that's a nice one (^^ر)
    ----------
    by the way guys , cant i use any linux documents ? cause linux had support for fat32 for a long time now? is there any problem going about it ?
    too technical for me ? or what ?
    i would be grateful if some one answers these too .
    again thanks a million for your replies
    Highlight Your Codes
    The Boost C++ Libraries (online Reference)

    "...a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are,in short, a perfect match.."
    Bill Bryson


  6. #6
    Password:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    587
    Reimplementing something from source, especially something from the realm of OS/driver development, would be more work than reading the OS Dev wiki-page at the link I posted. On top of the fact you would have to read kludgey Linux code, you'd also probably have to learn the interfaces before you fully understood.

  7. #7
    بابلی ریکا Masterx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somewhere nearby,Who Cares?
    Posts
    493
    Thank you verymch dear "User Name:"
    i'll remember what you just said
    tanx again
    Highlight Your Codes
    The Boost C++ Libraries (online Reference)

    "...a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are,in short, a perfect match.."
    Bill Bryson


Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Memory Leak in AppWizard-Generated Code
    By jrohde in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-19-2010, 04:24 PM
  2. How the rich get rich [Long]
    By nickname_changed in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-05-2005, 10:36 PM
  3. Won't Return pointer, i can't find why...
    By ss3x in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-28-2002, 07:50 PM

Tags for this Thread


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21