My First Youtube video

This is a discussion on My First Youtube video within the Tech Board forums, part of the Community Boards category; YouTube - Edge detector Demo with second stage feature filter I suck at public speaking when I know its being ...

  1. #1
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189

    My First Youtube video

    YouTube - Edge detector Demo with second stage feature filter

    I suck at public speaking when I know its being recorded
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  2. #2
    Woof, woof! zacs7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,459
    Cool

    When you put the tank in, you said it sees the tree more as noise and the tank as much more interesting than the tree. But, IMO the tree looks better when the tank is behind it

    It would be cool to run a windy forest (with leaves and branches) through it. For example, if you wanted to identify a tank in a forest

    Cool video BTW.

  3. #3
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Ill try to get out to a forest to do just that, although it will be my truck instead of a tank, I just need to find a cheap laptop and a webcam that can handle outdoor light levels. Maybe if I get a job with Raytheon I suppose I could just take snapshots and feed them through the filter. Or if I wanted to get really fancy I could just take a video, then burn it to DVD then play it through my video capture board, which would show the real time processing. Yeah I think thats what Ill do.
    Last edited by abachler; 10-01-2009 at 11:25 PM.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  4. #4
    Internet Superhero
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    Ill try to get out to a forest to do just that, although it will be my truck instead of a tank
    If you're gonna do it, do it right!
    How I need a drink, alcoholic in nature, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics.

  5. #5
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,069
    Pretty cool. You neglected to mention the resolution of the feed, however. I'd like to know how a higher resolution feed might effect the filter's judgment on noise vs edges. I'd also like to know how it handles compressed video stored on the disk. There are some video codecs that could bring that processor to a crawl with a decent resolution... let alone reprocessing it three more times.
    Last edited by SlyMaelstrom; 10-02-2009 at 07:56 AM.
    Sent from my iPad®

  6. #6
    Registered User Codeplug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4,660
    Being able to pipe any video through your software would "open the flood gates" for testing opportunities.

    gg

  7. #7
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyMaelstrom View Post
    Pretty cool. You neglected to mention the resolution of the feed, however. I'd like to know how a higher resolution feed might effect the filter's judgment on noise vs edges. I'd also like to know how it handles compressed video stored on the disk. There are some video codecs that could bring that processor to a crawl with a decent resolution... let alone reprocessing it three more times.
    The feed I'm using is 320x240, processing it 2 times (both the edge detector and feature selector) to determine the filters usage shows that the application would use about 60% of the processor, meaning the rough estimate is the filter itself uses about 10% for 320x240 or 40% at 640x480. The filter isn't currently written to use multiple threads, but it would be trivial to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeplug View Post
    Being able to pipe any video through your software would "open the flood gates" for testing opportunities.

    gg
    The capture class I am currently using will capture video from any WDM compliant source, webcams, video capture boards, etc. This makes it possible to feed direct video from say a DVD or a camcorder to the application.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  8. #8
    Crazy Fool Perspective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,640
    So I should just hang some tree leaves off of my tank?

  9. #9
    spurious conceit MK27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    segmentation fault
    Posts
    8,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    So I should just hang some tree leaves off of my tank?
    Technology has come a long way. Today, crews can get creative with their edge detection spoofing techniques, so that the tank appears as something innocuous and friendly, and does not have to hide.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    C programming resources:
    GNU C Function and Macro Index -- glibc reference manual
    The C Book -- nice online learner guide
    Current ISO draft standard
    CCAN -- new CPAN like open source library repository
    3 (different) GNU debugger tutorials: #1 -- #2 -- #3
    cpwiki -- our wiki on sourceforge

  10. #10
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,436
    Very interesting. One thing that I didn't understand however...

    First thing that came to mind was applications for the medical field. Dunno, real-time edge detection seems really neat when applied to certain types of tomography scans... I think. The sharpness of your filter was something to behold. But the fact the tree edges where they touch the tank became features of the tank seemed to make you happy. But I didn't quiet grasp how so.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  11. #11
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by MK27 View Post
    Technology has come a long way. Today, crews can get creative with their edge detection spoofing techniques, so that the tank appears as something innocuous and friendly, and does not have to hide.
    I dunno, looks like a tank to me

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    Very interesting. One thing that I didn't understand however...
    First thing that came to mind was applications for the medical field. Dunno, real-time edge detection seems really neat when applied to certain types of tomography scans... I think. The sharpness of your filter was something to behold. But the fact the tree edges where they touch the tank became features of the tank seemed to make you happy. But I didn't quiet grasp how so.
    The edges of the tree sharpen only because there is an object behind it which is of interest, the actual internal details of the tree diminish. With just the outline fo the tree, its easier for a neural network to recognize the tank as there are fewer details that belong to the 'background' classification.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by abachler; 10-02-2009 at 02:15 PM.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  12. #12
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,436
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    The edges of the tree sharpen only because there is an object behind it which is of interest, the actual internal details of the tree diminish.
    Ah, gotcha..
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  13. #13
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Here are a few more images, I probably need to work on its ability to detect a tank in a sandstorm.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  14. #14
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    OK, fixed it by adding a setting to allow the amplification of low contrast images -
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  15. #15
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,436
    A fixation on tanks. I see...
    My interest died here.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. C++ youtube video
    By kypronite in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-18-2008, 11:05 PM
  2. Problem With My Box
    By HaVoX in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-15-2005, 07:38 AM
  3. Codec Bitrates?
    By gvector1 in forum C# Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-16-2003, 08:39 AM
  4. OpenGL .dll vs video card dll
    By Silvercord in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-12-2003, 06:57 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21