Ubuntu 9.02 Cannot find network device

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 9.02 Cannot find network device within the Tech Board forums, part of the Community Boards category; Ubuntu don't seem to find my network card. The command ifconfig eth0 gives no device found. So what can I ...

  1. #1
    Registered User C_ntua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,853

    Ubuntu 9.02 Cannot find network device

    Ubuntu don't seem to find my network card. The command ifconfig eth0 gives no device found.
    So what can I do to make it detect it?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,265
    You can run lspci (assuming your network card is on the PCI bus) to make sure the kernel sees it. If it shows up, then it's probably just a matter of installing the correct driver. The correct driver is dependent upon what card you have.
    bit∙hub [bit-huhb] n. A source and destination for information.

  3. #3
    Registered User C_ntua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,853
    Its on board on the motherboard actually. Should mention that I didn't have problems with Ubuntu 7.10

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,265
    >> Its on board on the motherboard actually.
    So it's probably on the PCI bus then. What is the output from lspci?
    bit∙hub [bit-huhb] n. A source and destination for information.

  5. #5
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    9.02? what is this?

    some beta version of 9.04 had problems with network card driver on some netbooks. But it was long time ago fixed... have you searched you network card model on the Ubuntu forums?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  6. #6
    Registered User C_ntua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,853
    Sorry, meant 9.04. I also tried 7.10 which I am sure they had no problems, though of course they didn't work.

    I tried Ubuntu forums but cannot get it working yet.

    I give the commands:
    lshw -C network
    I get something like

    network DISABLED
    Ethernate Interface (or controller?)
    ...
    ...

    Nothing else. Shouldn't I get something with nvidia nforce also, sine that is the chipset?

    I tried modifying /etc/network/interfaces. It had

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    I change lo to eth0 and loopback to dhcp

    Then when I restart networking then dhcp finds nothing.

    ifconfig eth0 gives me
    inet addr 127.0.0.1 hwaddr blah:blah:blah:blah
    so no correct ip either

    route gives me an empty table


    So still stuck how to enable the network...

    EDIT: I believe it doesn't actually finds the network chipset at all, just something else. Is there a way to make it look up for it?
    Last edited by C_ntua; 09-05-2009 at 04:29 AM.

  7. #7
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    have you looked at
    Code:
    dmesg | grep eth0
    output for errors?

    Have you checked the System/Preferences/Network Connections/Wired tab?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,183
    Quote Originally Posted by bithub View Post
    >> Its on board on the motherboard actually.
    So it's probably on the PCI bus then. What is the output from lspci?
    4 characters.

  9. #9
    spurious conceit MK27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    segmentation fault
    Posts
    8,300
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberfish View Post
    4 characters.
    Well, something is busted then, which I presume you know that. lspci should show the bridges and interfaces even if there are no pci devices on the system.
    C programming resources:
    GNU C Function and Macro Index -- glibc reference manual
    The C Book -- nice online learner guide
    Current ISO draft standard
    CCAN -- new CPAN like open source library repository
    3 (different) GNU debugger tutorials: #1 -- #2 -- #3
    cpwiki -- our wiki on sourceforge

  10. #10
    Registered User C_ntua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,853
    I will look into it and see. Currently it is not working for windows either...

  11. #11
    int x = *((int *) NULL); Cactus_Hugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Banks of the River Styx
    Posts
    902
    You need to be more specific. This:
    ifconfig eth0 gives me
    inet addr 127.0.0.1 hwaddr blah:blah:blah:blah
    so no correct ip either
    ...contradicts:
    ifconfig eth0 gives no device found
    Did ifconfig eth0 give you ouput, even if with a wrong IP? Also, are you sure your device is eth0? (What's in /dev/net/dev ?)
    long time; /* know C? */
    Unprecedented performance: Nothing ever ran this slow before.
    Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.
    Real Programmers confuse Halloween and Christmas, because dec 25 == oct 31.
    The best way to accelerate an IBM is at 9.8 m/s/s.
    recursion (re - cur' - zhun) n. 1. (see recursion)

  12. #12
    Registered User C_ntua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,853
    Yeah, that is because the second time I modified /etc/network/interfaces. Have some other issues atm, so will try what suggested in a few days maybe

    EDIT: So modifying the file gives an output. Before it didn't. Tried to change to eth1, eth2, eth3, eth4 etc but wouldn't detect anything.

  13. #13
    int x = *((int *) NULL); Cactus_Hugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Banks of the River Styx
    Posts
    902
    You're still making little sense. Does the command `ifconfig eth0` give you output? Also `cat /proc/net/dev` should show your ethernet devices. If you see your device in either listing, then you have drivers for it, and your problem is something else.
    long time; /* know C? */
    Unprecedented performance: Nothing ever ran this slow before.
    Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.
    Real Programmers confuse Halloween and Christmas, because dec 25 == oct 31.
    The best way to accelerate an IBM is at 9.8 m/s/s.
    recursion (re - cur' - zhun) n. 1. (see recursion)

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Problem building Quake source
    By Silvercord in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-11-2010, 10:13 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-30-2004, 04:11 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-16-2004, 02:29 AM
  4. linked list recursive function spaghetti
    By ... in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-02-2003, 03:53 PM
  5. Won't Return pointer, i can't find why...
    By ss3x in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-28-2002, 08:50 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21