Working on huge projects

This is a discussion on Working on huge projects within the Tech Board forums, part of the Community Boards category; I have never worked on a huge project, as I am still a student and my programs rarely gets bigger ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK/Norway
    Posts
    485

    Working on huge projects

    I have never worked on a huge project, as I am still a student and my programs rarely gets bigger then 5.000 lines. When Im programming I am constantly compiling my program. I do it to make sure that the new code is working correctly, to check that the new code did not break any older code and I find it to be an easy way of finding syntax errors.

    But, when reading articles I often hear about compile times much higher then an hour. How do people work then? Do people only compile over night and just hope it is all working when they get back?

    Regards,

  2. #2
    Confused Magos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,145
    First of all you could structure your program in modules, so you don't have to recompile everything. Only the module you've been working on.
    MagosX.com

    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

  3. #3
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    1. when you working on 1 file - just compile this file instead of whole project
    2. when modifying header - make sure it is included only when needed - so no unneded code is recompiled
    3. the above statement of Magos - part code in modules/libraries and recompile only library which includes current file
    4. rebuild all only before final release of the project to testing... Rest of the time use regular build. Make sure to setup correct project dependencies, so your build will always correct. Prevent cyclic dependencies
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Merging projects
    By Coder87C in forum C# Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2005, 06:27 PM
  2. Trying to eject D drive using code, but not working... :(
    By snowfrog in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2005, 07:47 PM
  3. Beginner projects
    By MagSteve in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-05-2004, 02:04 AM
  4. getting current working filename
    By Unregistered in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-17-2002, 03:42 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21