Quad core cpu

This is a discussion on Quad core cpu within the Tech Board forums, part of the Community Boards category; How many cpu does a quad core have...sorry for asking here....

  1. #1
    deletedforumuser
    Guest

    Quad core cpu

    How many cpu does a quad core have...sorry for asking here.

  2. #2
    and the hat of sweating
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    3,545
    quad = 4
    dual = 2

  3. #3
    deletedforumuser
    Guest
    Thank you, my friend just doesn't trust me...lol

  4. #4
    and the hat of wrongness Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The edge of the known universe
    Posts
    32,434
    Moved (nothing to do with C++).
    Please ask your random technical questions on the tech board.
    If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.
    If at first you don't succeed, try writing your phone number on the exam paper.
    I support http://www.ukip.org/ as the first necessary step to a free Europe.

  5. #5
    Algorithm Dissector iMalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6,293
    Also:
    Hexacore = 6 cores
    Octacore = 8 cores

    Glad we could clear that up
    My homepage
    Advice: Take only as directed - If symptoms persist, please see your debugger

    Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"

  6. #6
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,066
    It's worth mentioning that people are answering a question that they assumed you were asking, however, worded incorrectly. To answer your question more pedantically: A quad core CPU has (or rather is), as the article implies, a single CPU with four cores. There is a significant difference between four cores and four CPU.
    Last edited by SlyMaelstrom; 08-30-2008 at 05:17 AM.
    Sent from my iPadŽ

  7. #7
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,470
    And how do you call the CPU with 16 or 32 cores?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  8. #8
    Internet Superhero
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by iMalc View Post
    Also:
    Hexacore = 6 cores
    Octacore = 8 cores

    Glad we could clear that up
    Remember Pentacore = 5 cores
    How I need a drink, alcoholic in nature, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    2,129
    > And how do you call the CPU with 16 or 32 cores?

    Multi-core.

  10. #10
    Dr Dipshi++ mike_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    On me hyperplane
    Posts
    1,218
    how about Hexteen and Trity Dual

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    2,129
    did you just make that up?

  12. #12
    and the hat of sweating
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    3,545
    Quote Originally Posted by vart View Post
    And how do you call the CPU with 16 or 32 cores?
    Using this as a reference: http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.polygon.names.html
    I'd say they'd be called: Hexadeca-core and Triacontakaidi-core.

  13. #13
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,470
    The last I like most - it will be so easy to ask about it in the shop...
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  14. #14
    Woof, woof! zacs7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,459
    Good line to pick up girls with though

    Boy: I've got a Triacontakaidi-core CPU
    Girl: O' rly?
    Boy: Yeee!
    Girl: Do you want to get a drink sometime?

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    71
    In real life,it's there any program that utilize 4 cpu?
    For example in networking program,each thread are created for each client connected to server.Sorry for sounding like a newbie but you have to create 1 thread to utilize 1 cpu,second to utilize second cpu...I hope you understand what I mean.
    So my question is that,If I were to buy 4 cpu as opposed to 2 cpu.I'm most likely wasting my money.Programming multithreaded program are hard,I think nobody except for scientist/engineer or guys in pixar that crunch large number would create program that utilize 4^x cpu.

    huh,I hope somebody can clear up my confusion?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. pthread question
    By quantt in forum Linux Programming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 01:21 AM
  2. questions on multiple thread programming
    By lehe in forum C Programming
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-27-2009, 07:44 AM
  3. how to make opengl draw in lighter colors ?
    By jabka in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-17-2007, 05:12 AM
  4. OpenGL, loading BMP Textures?
    By Zeusbwr in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 04:16 PM
  5. Odd 3D Invis Objects?
    By Zeusbwr in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 06:01 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21