svchost.exe?

This is a discussion on svchost.exe? within the Tech Board forums, part of the Community Boards category; Originally Posted by maxorator I wonder why it only does that for you... If I knew that, I'd be a ...

  1. #16
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,455
    Quote Originally Posted by maxorator View Post
    I wonder why it only does that for you...
    If I knew that, I'd be a genius
    The only guaranteed stable way is to slipstream the pack into the installation and install. Installing a service pack can sometimes be risky, too, but far less so than installing all fixes manually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  2. #17
    Reverse Engineer maxorator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,318
    Check the box of your XP to see if it isn't the "Windows XP Annoying Edition".

    I have to admit I have had no problems installing patches and fixes.
    "The Internet treats censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

  3. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Free Country, USA
    Posts
    105
    No, my Windows is 'Home Edition', and is upgraded to SP2. Also, I haven't seen the 'Windows Update' dialog box since upgrading my comp initially to SP2. I think the progs giving me a problem only act up if I manually kill the errant instance of svchost.exe, since Windows killed it for referencing memory at 0x000000 (or however many zeros it is), and I haven't had any problems since.

  4. #19
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,473
    my Windows is 'Home Edition'
    It is just a synonim
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  5. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Free Country, USA
    Posts
    105
    Actually help with my problem if you post, ok?

  6. #21
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,473
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAlex View Post
    Actually help with my problem if you post, ok?
    The only help I can give - an advice - change your OS to something serious... XP Pro for example
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  7. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Free Country, USA
    Posts
    105
    Ok, update: At the time of this post, svchost.exe has yet again eaten my CPU usage. The owner of the process is 'SYSTEM'. Shutting it down... Again, sound is gone. I thought Windows had killed the rouge process. Any help now?

    EDIT: 11:58 AM
    ----------------------------
    I rebooted and Windows displayed a message box that said "Data Excecution Prevention" and shut down a rouge instance of svchost.exe. I haven't lost sound yet.
    Last edited by DarkAlex; 03-25-2008 at 12:01 PM.

  8. #23
    Internet Superhero
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by vart View Post
    The only help I can give - an advice - change your OS to something serious... XP Pro for example
    What difference between Home and Pro Edition is it that makes XP Pro more serious :S?
    How I need a drink, alcoholic in nature, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics.

  9. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Free Country, USA
    Posts
    105
    Oi! No go on side topics! XP Pro has better security features than XP Home. That's it! Now posters please help!

  10. #25
    Peace
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    1,510
    You have bad drivers for something or a virus. Thats basically all it could be.
    "There's always another way"
    -lightatdawn (lightatdawn.cprogramming.com)

  11. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Free Country, USA
    Posts
    105
    Please elaborate and tell me how to fix. Remember, I have Norton Antivirus 2007 and it doesn't detect anything.

  12. #27
    Registered User NeonBlack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    435
    Norton, as the name implies, gets rid of VIRUSES. There is absolutely nothing it can do about BUGS in the operating system.
    Try the hotfix. If that doesn't work, turn off automatic updates until SP3 comes out.

    (Actually, there is already a pre-release of SP3 available, but I don't recommend downloading it until the release version is made available.)
    I copied it from the last program in which I passed a parameter, which would have been pre-1989 I guess. - esbo

  13. #28
    Peace
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    1,510
    The standard first try for something like this is to update everything. Make sure all your drivers are new, especially the sound ones in your case. Run Windows Update and get whatevers available.

    Try an online virus scanner just in case. It's easy and costs you nothing. BitDefender pops to mind but there are a few others. It's always nice to rule out the simplest answers first.

    Failing those I'd try SpyBot Search & Destroy and failing any of that easy stuff, your into some real diagnostics.
    "There's always another way"
    -lightatdawn (lightatdawn.cprogramming.com)

  14. #29
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,455
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAlex View Post
    Please elaborate and tell me how to fix. Remember, I have Norton Antivirus 2007 and it doesn't detect anything.
    Norton is a very poor AV software. You can try NOD32, the best one of the market, for free in 30 days. It gets rid of most viruses. But there's no telling it might be a virus. Scanning for spyware using Spybot might also help, as they say.
    Otherwise a google search for svchost.exe 100% might help?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Failed to host service in Svchost.exe
    By Alvaro_MM in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-12-2007, 02:11 AM
  2. enumerating process
    By BianConiglio in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-08-2005, 12:51 PM
  3. svchost.exe shuts down computer?
    By Stan100 in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 04:38 PM
  4. svchost.exe process
    By stumon in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-20-2003, 05:54 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21