Run .swf?

This is a discussion on Run .swf? within the Tech Board forums, part of the Community Boards category; Is it possible to run a Shockwave Flash (.swf) file on it's own, without being embedded in an HTML file? ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Free Country, USA
    Posts
    105

    Run .swf?

    Is it possible to run a Shockwave Flash (.swf) file on it's own, without being embedded in an HTML file? And if so, is there a special program to do this?

  2. #2
    Frequently Quite Prolix dwks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,047
    I was able to run a .swf file just by typing its address into Opera. No other browser I tried did this, but I don't think any of the other ones I tried had a Flash plugin. Try just typing the path to the .swf file and see what happens.

    Is there a reason you want to do this? It's pretty easy to create a minimalistic HTML file that just displays a .swf one.

    If you want to display Flash plugins by yourself in a C program or something, that would be pretty difficult . . . .
    dwk

    Seek and ye shall find. quaere et invenies.

    "Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it." -- Alan Perlis
    "Testing can only prove the presence of bugs, not their absence." -- Edsger Dijkstra
    "The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing." -- John Powell


    Other boards: DaniWeb, TPS
    Unofficial Wiki FAQ: cpwiki.sf.net

    My website: http://dwks.theprogrammingsite.com/
    Projects: codeform, xuni, atlantis, nort, etc.

  3. #3
    Reverse Engineer maxorator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,318
    Just double-click on the swf file and it should get opened with Flash Player. This should be installed to your computer with the browser plugins.

    Firefox opens swf files directly without any problems (I couldn't test with IE7 though, updated to IE8 which crashes when I right-click a Flash Object... lol).
    "The Internet treats censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

  4. #4
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    other browser I tried did this,
    I just double click on th file and IExplorer plays it for me...
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Free Country, USA
    Posts
    105
    Ok, I want to do this because my internet browser (IE7) can't open Flash files directly but can open Flash files embedded in HTML files, while, on another computer, the browser can. If the fix is downloading a Flash plugin for IE7, then where can I find one? Also, I don't want to have to go through the trouble of learning about the <EMBED> tag in HTML right now.

  6. #6
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    if you open some site with flash - browser should ask you if you want to donwload and install plug-in
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Free Country, USA
    Posts
    105
    Ok, I can run flash files, but only if they're embedded in an HTML file. I want to be able to run the flash files directly in IE, like another computer we have with the same browser.

  8. #8
    Internet Superhero
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAlex View Post
    Is it possible to run a Shockwave Flash (.swf) file on it's own, without being embedded in an HTML file? And if so, is there a special program to do this?
    Well, i can run them directly from my computer without having to mess about with browsers and stuff. If i have a flash file on my HD i just double click it and it plays. I have Macromedias flash editor installed, don't know if that has anything to do with it?
    How I need a drink, alcoholic in nature, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics.

  9. #9
    Reverse Engineer maxorator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,318
    Quote Originally Posted by vart View Post
    I just double click on th file and IExplorer plays it for me...
    Download Flash Player
    "The Internet treats censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Free Country, USA
    Posts
    105
    I have Adobe Flash Player. I think the other computer has Macromedia Flash Player. Still, I want to be able to play Flash files direcly in IE.

  11. #11
    Reverse Engineer maxorator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,318
    If you have Flash Player installed you can just double-click on the files without any browser...
    "The Internet treats censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

  12. #12
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    without any browser
    which makes me wonder - how can you nowdays install some windows without any browser?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  13. #13
    Reverse Engineer maxorator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,318
    Quote Originally Posted by vart View Post
    which makes me wonder - how can you nowdays install some windows without any browser?
    Huh?
    "The Internet treats censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

  14. #14
    Frequently Quite Prolix dwks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,047
    I think vart is referring to the bundling practises that Microsoft uses. You can't really install Windows without installing their web browser, Internet Explorer. Though because of that anti-trust lawsuit a while back, I imagine it's now at least possible to get a Windows system without Explorer.
    dwk

    Seek and ye shall find. quaere et invenies.

    "Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it." -- Alan Perlis
    "Testing can only prove the presence of bugs, not their absence." -- Edsger Dijkstra
    "The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing." -- John Powell


    Other boards: DaniWeb, TPS
    Unofficial Wiki FAQ: cpwiki.sf.net

    My website: http://dwks.theprogrammingsite.com/
    Projects: codeform, xuni, atlantis, nort, etc.

  15. #15
    Cat without Hat CornedBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,893
    Not really. You probably can get a system without the iexplore.exe file, but that's just a thin wrapper around the real workhorse, which is still there.
    All the buzzt!
    CornedBee

    "There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code."
    - Flon's Law

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Re-doing a C program to run in Win2000 or XP
    By fifi in forum C Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-17-2007, 05:32 PM
  2. how to run an exe command in c++ and get back the results?
    By mitilkhatoon in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-21-2006, 06:00 PM
  3. calculating the mode
    By bigggame in forum C Programming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-13-2006, 03:04 AM
  4. How I can Run exe file in C++
    By palang in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2006, 11:55 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2002, 03:56 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21