Thread: Absolutely bizaar accident.

Absolutely bizaar accident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4216052.stm

If that was presented as a work of fiction, everybody would have said it was ridiculous. The probabilities involved in that must be astronomic.

Very sad.
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity unto the dream.

> Very sad.

And probably totally preventable. Surely there had to be another way up the mountain that didn't go over the cable cars.

didn't something similar happen a few years ago, except it was a military jet that clipped the line?
    I'm not immature, I'm refined in the opposite direction.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMcGee123
    didn't something similar happen a few years ago, except it was a military jet that clipped the line?
    It was either a helicopter or jet, yes. I remember that one. They were doing training exercises. *EDIT* http://www.historychannel.com/exhibi...ers/mb_cc.html That was further in the past than I thought.

And this certainly seems like a case where they could have picked an alternate route.
    EntropySink. You know you have to click it.

aoeuhtns
    It's 'bizarre', by the way.

& the hat of GPL slaying Thantos's Avatar
    Yeah I wouldn't fell to safe about taking one of those things now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashakil Fol
    Oh thank you sooooo much for contribting that well thought out point in this discussion. Just for that I'm not even going to spell check "contribting" which I'm pretty sure is spelt wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Thantos
    Oh thank you sooooo much for contribting that well thought out point in this discussion. Just for that I'm not even going to spell check "contribting" which I'm pretty sure is spelt wrong.
    That's what I like about programming -- the compiler desn't care how I spell something (other than keywords) as long as I'm consistent. So if you want to spell it "contribting" -- feel free to do so! (but English majors may not like it)

& the hat of GPL slaying Thantos's Avatar
    More then once I've coded a project for a few days using the same misspelling, taken a few days off, came back and started spelling the word correctly. Boy thats fun

Yeah I remember that - that was my first thought too. Cable cars have never seemed that safe to me (though I'm sure they're safer than some of the alternatives)

What struck me, was if you asked a helicopter pilot to fly 300m above a 50mm thick cable and precision drop the swinging 750kg block of concrete in such a way as to hit the line, he'd never be able to do it.
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity unto the dream.

Wannabe Coding God
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashakil Fol
    I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
    Mark Twain

Just feelt like I had to post that...
    They say that if you play a Windows Install CD backwords, you hear satanic messages. That's nothing; play it forward and it installs Windows.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed