Thread: Windows 7 official launch tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    Simply curious.
    No you are not. You are just dying for him to say "because I don't like it".
    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

C++まいる!Cをこわせ!
    No. I am curious. If thantos says he or she does not like it, I ask why because I am curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

Riiight!
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

& the hat of GPL slaying Thantos's Avatar
    XP works and works well. I've rarely had a problem with it. I like staying with a stable system rather then upgrading to a newer system just because it is newer.

C++まいる!Cをこわせ!
    Ah, the convenient theory that if something works, then why change it?
    Well, it is your choice, so (continue to?) have fun with XP.
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

Well, it's not like he is still using Windows 95...

C++まいる!Cをこわせ!
    True, if I saw anyone using W95, I would scream at that someone to upgrade

Win7

My company is big telecoms outfit, we have totally skipped vista and rightly so, what was the point? I am trial user in the test rollout for some time now and as far as my role goes its bloody brilliant, dont know whether the home user will agree though

Well, it's not like he is still using Windows 95...
    That guy really needs to be educated about Linux, but not before he gets whacked hard over the head.

You speak as if though "if something works why change it" is flawed. Why?
    You seem happy with your Microsoft stuff, because of that, I'm not trying to sell you on what I use, even though I think it's better. Do you think you'd have better luck converting a satisfied person?

Quote Originally Posted by rogster001 View Post
    I am trial user in the test rollout for some time now and as far as my role goes its bloody brilliant, dont know whether the home user will agree though
    It's not the home user that is a problem. It's the corporate user. You are in fact an exception. Windows Vista introduced, and Windows 7 kept, important changes to the operating system interface and usage patterns that are not at all compatible with many companies busy schedule. If you expect companies will flock to Windows 7 like bears to a honeycomb, you will be surprised.

Not many companies will willingly accept the added costs of employee training or the reduced productivity that Windows 7 will no doubt temporarily introduce. Don't expect adoption to be sweat on this market. Although I do agree it will be inevitable.

EDIT: And I'm not even considering the obligatory hardware upgrade that Windows 7 will demand on many corporate computers currently running XP under stress already.
    Last edited by Mario F.; 10-24-2009 at 02:56 PM.

Win7

Well i suppose thats what i meant by home user really, i.e. I dont hav to worry about additional resource demands to support the os, the build i am provided with is par for the course and if any issues they are remedied without any cost to me

Also from an engineer perspective it offers several features improve mobile i.t. And also the business has microsoft agreement which means can drop licences for other products n use packaged, thus saving money, but we talkin slow rollout all the same

C++まいる!Cをこわせ!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarin View Post
    You speak as if though "if something works why change it" is flawed. Why?
    Because it hinders development.
    XP was a good OS. So should we stop there? Should Vista and 7 never have come out?
    That is the flaw in that attitude. Things that are good enough can still be improved. And if we stick to that motto, then we would miss out the better stuff.
    That is why I am so-so against that motto.

To be fair, I can understand that it is a hassle to upgrade to 7, partly because it would have to be a reinstall and partly due to it is a completely new architecture, which is bound to bring changes, and sometimes not always for the best. So the once stable system might become unstable.
    But I do think it would be a good idea to try out something new when you get the excuse for it, ie a new computer or the OS crashes and you cannot recover or something like that.

You seem happy with your Microsoft stuff, because of that, I'm not trying to sell you on what I use, even though I think it's better. Do you think you'd have better luck converting a satisfied person?
    To be honest, I am not entirely a fan of Microsoft software. The ones I use is simply because I know of no better alternative or I simply do not want the hassle to try other software out and adapt to the new environment.
    Microsoft software is huge, sluggish and treat you as dumb. Usually no settings to configure and so. I do not like it.

Conversions are difficult things. How easy it would be would depend on your definition of satisfied.

The ones I use is simply because I know of no better alternative or I simply do not want the hassle to try other software out and adapt to the new environment
    Ah! So you agree.
    That's good to know.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed