Thread: int and long

int and long

Are int's and long's the same on 32 bit windows?

and the Hat of Guessing tabstop's Avatar
    If your compiler says sizeof(int) == sizeof(long), then yes.

C++まいる!Cをこわせ!
    Depends on the compiler. The standard does not say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

Any Win32 compiler that wants any hope of application compatibility has both int and long at 32 bits.
    All the buzzt!
    CornedBee

"There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code."
    - Flon's Law

int is the native register size, 32 bits on 32 bit machines. 32 bits on a 64 bit machine, which techncially goes aginst the standard, but is done so for compatibility reasons, so not too many people gripe or even care.

long is longer than a short, the standard makes no further requirements

32 bits on a 64 bit machine, which techncially goes aginst the standard
    Against what standard?
    All the buzzt!
    CornedBee

"There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code."
    - Flon's Law

Kernel hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    int is the native register size, 32 bits on 32 bit machines. 32 bits on a 64 bit machine, which techncially goes aginst the standard, but is done so for compatibility reasons, so not too many people gripe or even care.
    The C standard does not state the size of any integer type other than minimum values they need to cope with, and that the types must be sized in this order: char<= short <= int <= long <= long long. [So long may not be longer than short, but long must not be SHORTER].

As you state, on a 64-bit machine, an integer may well be 32-bit, and long can be 32 or 64 bits [in fact, Linux has long as 64 bits, when Windows choose to have long as 32 bits on the x86-64 architecture].

Yes, on Windows you can rely on int and long being 32 bits for the near foreseeable future. In other platforms, it's not necessarily true.

--
    Mats
    Compilers can produce warnings - make the compiler programmers happy: Use them!
    Please don't PM me for help - and no, I don't do help over instant messengers.

> Yes, on Windows you can rely on int and long being 32 bits for the near foreseeable future. In other platforms, it's not necessarily true.

Which brings me to the question, what if you want a 32 bit data type? Ie for reading / writing to files? Would it be best to use the C99 standard stdint.h? Or is there an alternative for C89 programs...

I ask because I've seen countless, fwrite(&myint, sizeof(int), 1, fp); & respective freads() even in "industrial" code.

Kernel hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by zacs7 View Post
    > Yes, on Windows you can rely on int and long being 32 bits for the near foreseeable future. In other platforms, it's not necessarily true.

Which brings me to the question, what if you want a 32 bit data type? Ie for reading / writing to files? Would it be best to use the C99 standard stdint.h? Or is there an alternative for C89 programs...

I ask because I've seen countless, fwrite(&myint, sizeof(int), 1, fp); & respective freads() even in "industrial" code.
    For C89 and portability, you would have to implement something comparable [although of course not necessarily as comprehensive] to stdint.h yourself. But I'd go for stdint.h until you find an instance where you actually need the c89 compatibility - I'd expect it be pretty rare these days.

What you should definitely do, is to use some sort of typedef that includes a side indication to make sure that IF you ever need to move to another platform where int is a different size than your program expects, you don't have to "search and destroy" all int's [of course, for local variables that are not stored in file, size generally doesn't matter, and you may want to use int for simple stuff where "any integer as long as it can hold a few thousand is ok" and long "need an integer that can hold several millions".

--
    Mats

C++まいる!Cをこわせ!
    There are stdint.h files to find on the web, so I don't think it's that bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

Hmm thanks, It's another one of those issues that's "glossed" over. Never thought of typedef'ing them myself -- adds a big dash of portability I guess -- which I know I don't need anyway

> There are stdint.h files to find on the web, so I don't think it's that bad.
    Noticed that in some of my research, but I guess this is where autoconf and co. come into it

Kernel hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by zacs7 View Post
    Hmm thanks, It's another one of those issues that's "glossed" over. Never thought of typedef'ing them myself -- adds a big dash of portability I guess -- which I know I don't need anyway

> There are stdint.h files to find on the web, so I don't think it's that bad.
    Noticed that in some of my research, but I guess this is where autoconf and co. come into it
    Yes, the stdint.h also must match the current compiler - two different compilers on the same processor MAY do things in different ways for some reason.

--
    Mats

If you're already doing windows programming, windows.h defines an absurd amount of types that are of known size. WORD is guaranteed to be unsigned 16 bits, DWORD unsigned 32 bits. INT16, INT32 and their UINT variants also are defined somewhere in the depths of the Win32 API. Perhaps even the 64 bit variants.
    All the buzzt!
    CornedBee

- Flon's Law

To me int never made any sense, that's why I use:

long - not int
    ulong - not DWORD
    short
    ushort - not WORD

And a good thing to, my code's easier to read now, it even looks more organized.

Kernel hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarin View Post
    To me int never made any sense, that's why I use:

long - not int
    ulong - not DWORD
    short
    ushort - not WORD
    long has a meaning in a 16-bit compiler or a compiler that supports 64-bit integers. For Windows (these days), there is no point to using long.

ulong isn't a standard type: unsigned long is. As above, no point in Windows.

short definitely has a valid point in Windows compilers if you only need 16 bits and a sign.

ushort, again, isn't a standard type, unsigned short is.

But I would also point out that if you use WORD, DWORD, INT16 etc, you are relying on Windows.h - which means that the code is unportable to other architectures. Defining YOUR OWN types will allow the code to compile on "any" machine that has an architecture suitable for the application as such, as long as you use your own types. You can, if you see fit, provide your own typedefs that use DWORD, WORD, etc as the basetype. Obviously, if you make extensive use of Windows API, you should use the original type (e.g. DWORD).

--
    Mats

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed