question about sockets

This is a discussion on question about sockets within the Networking/Device Communication forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; I'm new to internet programming. I read some tutorials to get myself off the ground. I was wondering whether it's ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    150

    question about sockets

    I'm new to internet programming. I read some tutorials to get myself off the ground. I was wondering whether it's possible for a client to send data to a server using the send() command. I want to send a filename to a server and have the server send it to the client if the server has it.

  2. #2
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,473
    yes it is possible... but you have to build the request by yourself. There are more simple ways to generate HTTP requests...
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator VirtualAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    9,590
    Yes you can send using send() or WSASend() but this is raw data. How you interpret the data is up to you and the agreed upon format or protocol of how you communicate from client to server and vice versa. TCP/IP is the base protocol but each app (server/client) still has to know what to expect and when to expect it in order to act correctly.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Question about forking with sockets listening
    By Phoenix_Rebirth in forum C Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 03:05 AM
  2. Sockets: IPv4 vs IPv6
    By ninboy in forum Networking/Device Communication
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 01:02 AM
  3. Hi all!, Another question about socket's & NetBios
    By Pandora in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 07:10 AM
  4. opengl DC question
    By SAMSAM in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-26-2003, 08:22 PM
  5. Sockets Question
    By SyntaxBubble in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-30-2001, 06:50 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21