Ip address

This is a discussion on Ip address within the Networking/Device Communication forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; hi all how can i use one IPadress to four machines..? thank you in advance...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    136

    Ip address

    hi all
    how can i use one IPadress to four machines..?
    thank you in advance

  2. #2
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,456
    One public IP address (to access Internet)?
    Or you mean One private IP address inside the local area Network?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by vart View Post
    One public IP address (to access Internet)?
    Or you mean One private IP address inside the local area Network?
    private IP address..

  4. #4
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,456
    No you cannot run several computers in the LAN with the same IP...
    Why do you need it?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by vart View Post
    No you cannot run several computers in the LAN with the same IP...
    Why do you need it?
    i saw this situation at my friends workstation..
    three people having same ip address...
    so this is my doubt..

    thank you

  6. #6
    Woof, woof! zacs7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,459
    i saw this situation at my friends workstation..
    three people having same ip address...
    so this is my doubt..

    thank you
    No you didn't.

    If your trying to do what I think, then use some sort of broadcasting method (as games and things do to publish lan servers)

  7. #7
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by zacs7 View Post
    No you didn't.

    If your trying to do what I think, then use some sort of broadcasting method (as games and things do to publish lan servers)
    no, im actually going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you here, yeah. While its not 'technically' possible, adn certainly not adviseable for the average joe to do this, you can in fact have multiple NIC's on the same physical layer that all have the same IP. Here is how and why -

    When a NIC starts the first thing ti does is broadcast a packet that basicalyl says I, 192.168.0.2, KING of all that I survey, THINK, therefore I AM. To which all the other NIC's with other IP's roll their eyes and continue happily transferring gay midget beastiality porn to their hard drives. However, one lonesome NIC notices that IT is 192.168.0.2 and pipes up with a packet that basicalyl says USURPER!!! Get thee hence foul spawn of MFC. To which the usurper tucks its tail between its legs and reports to the system that that IP is already in use.

    But, lets say we have a usurper that is disconnected from the main network when it starts up, it can successfully anounce its precense on teh network, which goes unchallenged. Then a second NIC which is also disconnected does the same thing. Then for some unknown reason the two networks become connected. Both NIC's will recv() packets going to their shared IP, and they will both send() packets that appear to be from the same IP. The results are undefined.

    Now as to why you would want to do this, lets say you have some BigHugeApp.exe or BigHugeData.bin to transfer to multiple nodes in a cluster. You can save significant bandwidth by having every node operate on the same IP. Then again, if you are runnign a cluster, you are probably writing your own file transfer code, in which case you can just use a broadcast IP.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Linux raw socket programming
    By cnb in forum Networking/Device Communication
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 07:56 AM
  2. What does this do (Windows API)?
    By EVOEx in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-19-2008, 09:48 AM
  3. DX - CreateDevice - D3DERR_INVALIDCALL
    By Tonto in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2006, 06:17 PM
  4. Identify dynamic IP address of network device
    By BobS0327 in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-21-2006, 12:49 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21