detect connection through cat5

This is a discussion on detect connection through cat5 within the Networking/Device Communication forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; hi, does anyone know how i could detect the bit (ie tx and rx) on cat5 cable? or any other ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    23

    detect connection through cat5

    hi,
    does anyone know how i could detect the bit (ie tx and rx) on cat5 cable? or any other ways that i could detect the connection to a sever?
    thanks

  2. #2
    and the hat of wrongness Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The edge of the known universe
    Posts
    32,751
    What's wrong with using the standard protocol based approaches to checking if a connection exists?

    Besides, who said anything about it being 'cat5' all the way between you and the server?
    If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.
    If at first you don't succeed, try writing your phone number on the exam paper.
    I support http://www.ukip.org/ as the first necessary step to a free Europe.

  3. #3
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    Also note that cat5 is just a cabel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable
    it is not a connection method...
    This type of cable is often used in structured cabling for computer networks such as Ethernet, although it is also used to carry many other signals such as basic voice services, token ring, and ATM (at up to 155 Mbit/s, over short distances).
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  4. #4
    Registered User ssharish2005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    1,682
    u better have to look at some tutorial on how to get the data from the cables

    [url ="http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=41926"]Network Programming[/url]

    there are some set of websites which might b helpfull for you.

    ssharish2005

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    23
    i understand that it just a cable. but imagine, i have this pc which connected to a server through cat 5 cable and my program will be running in that particular pc to detect when the server is down. what i previously do is to ping to the server which will occupy the line, it seems like not a good method to do so. and now i was trying to detect through the port where we connected to the server (which cat 5 cable connected). if we're detecting a modem signal then the serial port will be used (which is ttyS0 in linux) but how about the port for cat 5?

    perhaps the idea would sound silly, but i couldnt think of any other better way.

  6. #6
    and the hat of wrongness Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The edge of the known universe
    Posts
    32,751
    It might be possible, but it would require more detailed knowledge of your system.

    Say for example performing some kind of diagnostic checks on the actual network hardware in your machine. This is where it gets OS/Compiler/device specific.
    If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.
    If at first you don't succeed, try writing your phone number on the exam paper.
    I support http://www.ukip.org/ as the first necessary step to a free Europe.

  7. #7
    * Death to Visual Basic * Devil Panther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    768
    Can't you just use the bind() function?
    I believe that if the link on the ethernet port is down, the function will return an error.
    "I don't suffer from insanity but enjoy every minute of it" - Edgar Allen Poe

    http://www.Bloodware.net - Developing free software for the community.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. multiple forks in one client connection (ftpclient)
    By Dynamo in forum Networking/Device Communication
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-16-2011, 12:41 PM
  2. passing a connection to another process.
    By Kinasz in forum Networking/Device Communication
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-09-2004, 06:34 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-20-2003, 01:27 AM
  4. Headers that use each other
    By nickname_changed in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-03-2003, 05:25 AM
  5. Cable Connection problems
    By RoD in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-10-2003, 07:00 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21