Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By memcpy
  • 2 Post By memcpy
  • 1 Post By andrew89
  • 1 Post By dennis.cpp

Email program

This is a discussion on Email program within the Networking/Device Communication forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; I am a fairly new socket programmer, yet I understand the concept on how to do it. I am not ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    24

    Email program

    I am a fairly new socket programmer, yet I understand the concept on how to do it. I am not sure what kind of network programming I should focus mostly on, so I guess my first question is should I program for Linux or windows if I am just starting out. Then my real question is how I can go about creating a program that can send a line of text as an email to a host (xxx@domain.com)? Any links to guides or other tuts would be great. Even just example code would help me figure it out. thanks!

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hintzke View Post
    Then my real question is how I can go about creating a program that can send a line of text as an email to a host (xxx@domain.com)? Any links to guides or other tuts would be great. Even just example code would help me figure it out. thanks!
    If you're really interested in sending mail.. (it's not the easiest thing to do):

    smtp protocol c - Google Search


    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hintzke View Post
    my first question is should I program for Linux or windows if I am just starting out.
    If you have a linux box available, use it. If you don't, make one. You can do so much more code-wise than windows or even Mac, and you don't have to deal with Windows' constant bugs and broken trashy APIs that microsoft restricts (raw sockets??!).
    dennis.cpp likes this.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    9,547
    Quote Originally Posted by memcpy View Post
    If you have a linux box available, use it. If you don't, make one. You can do so much more code-wise than windows or even Mac, and you don't have to deal with Windows' constant bugs and broken trashy APIs that microsoft restricts (raw sockets??!).
    What a load of fanboi crap that is.

    Do you really thing Windows and OS-X would last a week if they went about making it impossible to do stuff?

    Get a clue.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
    What a load of fanboi crap that is.

    Do you really thing Windows and OS-X would last a week if they went about making it impossible to do stuff?

    Get a clue.
    You obviously didn't read. I never said I had anything against OSX (I'm actually using a Mac right now and its perfectly fine), and I already explained why I don't like windows. If you don't believe me, why not try remembering all of the security holes, exploits, unfixed bugs, and other issues with Windows that have been floating around the internet.

  5. #5
    Registered User andrew89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana, United States
    Posts
    80
    Out of the top 1,000,000 servers--as of August 2011 anyway--63.9% was some flavor of nix the remaining were M$. Another survey conducted in '09 on 38,549,333 publicly accessible servers found that over 60% were based on Linux--not including BSD or Unix.

    Just going by the figures there, some nix distro would be preferred.

    Source

    Edit: I would also like to say Tater is rather opinionated. I like that in a woman :P but not as much in my taters lol.
    memcpy likes this.

  6. #6
    Registered User manasij7479's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kolkata@India
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew89 View Post
    ..... opinionated ....
    Didn't you now that you have to be a fanboy to choose anything other than Windows ?
    Manasij Mukherjee | gcc-4.9.2 @Arch Linux
    Slow and Steady wins the race... if and only if :
    1.None of the other participants are fast and steady.
    2.The fast and unsteady suddenly falls asleep while running !



  7. #7
    language hopper dennis.cpp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Herborn, Hesse, Germany
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by manasij7479 View Post
    Didn't you now that you have to be a fanboy to choose anything other than Windows ?
    While generally agreeing with you, memcpy and the other linux users, let's be fair here: That's neither what Tater said, nor what he meant.
    andrew89 likes this.
    Hardware: Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz × 8
    Operating system: Debian Testing/Jessie / Linux 3.16-2-amd64 / KDE SC 4.14.1
    Compiler: gcc 4.9.1-16 with KDevelop 4.7.0

  8. #8
    Registered User andrew89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana, United States
    Posts
    80
    Actually, as far as server stats go, we're 'mainstream' lol. I wasn't trying to start anything, I'm just hoping OP can figure it out. I've never written a mailer before. Well, I have, but that was in PHP. I might peruse the source code a little and see if I can understand any of it, which isn't likely... but possible.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. how to send Email By C Program ??
    By Gaurav Singh in forum C Programming
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-01-2011, 04:23 PM
  2. C++ Email Box Program
    By tiredtired in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-07-2008, 11:30 AM
  3. Sending an email in C program
    By Moony in forum C Programming
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-19-2006, 11:42 AM
  4. email program
    By fromhome in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2006, 05:38 PM
  5. sending an email through a C program
    By shoobsie in forum C Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-06-2005, 07:10 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21