0.0.0.0:80 what does this mean?

This is a discussion on 0.0.0.0:80 what does this mean? within the Networking/Device Communication forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; I have an Embedded device. It basically uses the Linux as a OS . It works as a modem i.e ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    108

    0.0.0.0:80 what does this mean?

    I have an Embedded device.

    It basically uses the Linux as a OS .

    It works as a modem i.e having a wan interfaces and lan interfaces .

    I Connect my PC to that Modem .

    Now that modem becomes a router to me .

    i can access that router using the g/w address ex: 192.168.1.1

    Now when i type the netstat -aln in that device

    i get the following information


    tcp 0 0 192.168.1.1:139 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:2420 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:53 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:23 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:4567 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 255.255.255.255:5819 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN


    1) here my first doubt is the http service is not running on the 192.168.1.1:80

    it is running on 0.0.0.0:80 eventhough in my pc browser if i type the

    192.168.1.1 how does it access the webservice.

    2) what is this 255.255.255.255 ip ?


    please guide me in understanding this network .

    regards

  2. #2
    Cat without Hat CornedBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,893
    0.0.0.0 means "every IP that the computer provides". So it listens on the loopback (127.0.0.1) as well as your internal network address (192.168.1.1).

    I don't know what 255.255.255.255 means in this context. But it's not a regular IP either.
    All the buzzt!
    CornedBee

    "There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code."
    - Flon's Law

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    108

    255.255.255.255:5819 ?

    I have seen the implementation of this device.

    This 5819 is being used by upnp service

    Here it runs a http server , to respond to the upnp requests from clients.

    Here in implementation it shows as to listen on ip 192.168.1.1 port 5819

    strangley some times the server runs in ip 255.255.255.255 where as debug message shows that the ip provideing to socket is still 192.168.1.1

    ofcoures this type of behaviour is not happening regulary . once in 5 times it shows as running in 255.255.255.255:5819 where as in remaining times in 192.168.1.1:5819.

    when it runs in 192.168.1.1 upnp is working fine and i could able to see the icon in my network places in my Lan PC .

    I could not able to find where is this malfunctioning happening.

    Can any body help me in this

    regards

    Can you people

  4. #4
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,473
    255.255.255.255 is broadcast address when message is sent to any client in the subnet

    I'm not really get the scenario you are describing - but here is the article on the issue - how to listen to the broadcast address http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/127329.html

    maybe it could help you to investigate your problem... and rephrase your question...
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21