http requests

This is a discussion on http requests within the Networking/Device Communication forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; Hello. I am trying to write a program that will send an http request to a web server and then ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    150

    http requests

    Hello. I am trying to write a program that will send an http request to a web server and then get the requested resource. I know a little about socket programming, but not much. I got stuck when i started trying to connect to a server:

    Code:
    SOCKET call_socket (const char *hostname, unsigned short portnum)
    {
     struct sockaddr_in sa;
     struct hostent     *hp;
     SOCKET s;
     
     hp = gethostbyname (hostname);
     if (hp == NULL)
      return INVALID_SOCKET;
     
     memset (&sa, 0, sizeof (sa));
     memcpy ((char *) &sa.sin_addr, hp->h_addr, hp->h_length);
    
     sa.sin_family = hp->h_addrtype;
     sa.sin_port = htons ((u_short) portnum);
     
     s = socket (hp->h_addrtype, SOCK_STREAM, 0);
     if (s == INVALID_SOCKET)
     {
      closesocket(s);
      return INVALID_SOCKET;
     }
     
     if (connect (s, (struct sockaddr *) &sa, sizeof (struct sockaddr_in)) == SOCKET_ERROR)
     {
      closesocket(s);
      cout << WSAGetLastError();
      return INVALID_SOCKET;
     }
     return s;
    }
    
    int main ()
    {
     WSADATA wsaDat;
     SOCKET test;
    
     if (WSAStartup (MAKELONG (1, 1), &wsaDat) == SOCKET_ERROR)
     {
      cout << "Problem!!!";
      return -1;
     }
    
     if (call_socket ("webpages.atlanticbb.net", 50000) == INVALID_SOCKET)
     {
      cout << "That failed!!!";
      system ("pause");
      return -1;
     }
     return 0;
    }
    Most of the code i got from a tutorial site, but for some reason i cannot connect to the requested server. Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong?

  2. #2
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,468
    for some reason i cannot connect
    could you elaborate a little more about that "some" reason.
    What function has failed and what error code you get?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  3. #3
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    If you are using windows, dont use teh winsock functions, use HttpSendRequest() and its ilk.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Juneda
    Posts
    287
    "... for some reason i cannot connect..."

    Maybe because by default web servers are not listening on port 50000?

    Code:
    call_socket ("webpages.atlanticbb.net",80)
    Niara

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Persistent HTTP Requests
    By reelbigtim in forum Networking/Device Communication
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-08-2008, 12:06 AM
  2. Timing HTTP GET requests
    By traef06 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 09:33 PM
  3. viewing HTTP requests
    By DavidP in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-09-2007, 06:44 PM
  4. Writing all HTTP requests from a website to a log file
    By goomyman in forum C# Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2005, 09:18 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21