Creating pthreads in for loop

This is a discussion on Creating pthreads in for loop within the Linux Programming forums, part of the Platform Specific Boards category; Hi all, I'm encountering a little problem creating a variable amount of pthreads. I tried to create this threads in ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3

    Creating pthreads in for loop

    Hi all,

    I'm encountering a little problem creating a variable amount of pthreads.
    I tried to create this threads in a loop, but that will give me a segmentation fault...

    Salem explained here why, but there isn't a solution for me in that topic.

    Is there a way to create a number of threads in a for loop?

    I was trying it this way, but as said before, that gives a segmentation fault.

    Code:
    void* function(int nmbr){
        int i;
        pthread_t threads[nmbr];
    
        for(i=0;i<nmbr;i++){
            pthread_create(&threads[i], NULL,function2,(void *)i);
            pthread_join(thread[i],NULL);     
        }
    return NULL;
    }

  2. #2
    Registered User Codeplug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4,680
    I don't really see anythying wrong with what you've posted - other than not checking return values.

    Let's see function2().

    gg

  3. #3
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    i do not see a reason to create thread and suspend the calling thread till created thread exits - you can just call the function2 in a loop with the same effect

    so what is your intentions?

    and also - could you show the function2 code - I'm interested how you read the parameters
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3
    Thanks codeplug for the quick reply.

    It is a big bummer There was u huge seg fault in function2

    Thanks for paying my attention to it.

    But Salem is wrong in his post than?

  5. #5
    Registered User Codeplug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4,680
    Salem is correct. That code used "&i" and you are using "(void*)i".

    gg

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. using pthreads with an API that uses pthreads
    By MK27 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2009, 01:47 PM
  2. Profiler Valgrind
    By afflictedd2 in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-18-2008, 09:38 AM
  3. Pthreads performance
    By C_ntua in forum C Programming
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 06-17-2008, 11:29 AM
  4. Creating A Thread W/ PThreads within an Object
    By HalNineThousand in forum Linux Programming
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-28-2008, 02:57 PM
  5. pthreads and resources
    By ubermensch in forum C Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-07-2006, 01:27 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21