Socket Speed

This is a discussion on Socket Speed within the Linux Programming forums, part of the Platform Specific Boards category; Hi, Does anyone know how i can find out the transfer speed of incoming data into my program? Im using ...

  1. #1
    Registered User (TNT)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    339

    Socket Speed

    Hi,

    Does anyone know how i can find out the transfer speed of incoming data into my program? Im using standard TCP sockets, and need to get the data from my recv() call.

    Any simple ways of doing this?

    Thanks
    Jack
    TNT
    You Can Stop Me, But You Cant Stop Us All

  2. #2
    Captain Crash brewbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    7,230
    Quote Originally Posted by (TNT) View Post
    Hi,

    Does anyone know how i can find out the transfer speed of incoming data into my program? Im using standard TCP sockets, and need to get the data from my recv() call.

    Any simple ways of doing this?

    Thanks
    Jack
    The same way you figure out the rate of anything. Figure out how much "stuff" came in, happened, passed by, etc. and divide by the amount of time it took.

  3. #3
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,458
    using select you don't need to know the speed - it will notify you when data are ready to be read...
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. socket programming question, closing sockets...
    By ursula in forum Networking/Device Communication
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-31-2009, 05:17 PM
  2. when to close a socket
    By Wisefool in forum Networking/Device Communication
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-02-2003, 09:33 AM
  3. problem closing socket
    By Wisefool in forum Networking/Device Communication
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2003, 11:19 AM
  4. problem closing a socket
    By Wisefool in forum C Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2003, 12:38 PM
  5. socket newbie, losing a few chars from server to client
    By registering in forum Linux Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-07-2003, 11:48 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21