Like Tree1Likes

LG "joke"

This is a discussion on LG "joke" within the General Discussions forums, part of the Community Boards category; I heard that this (video of 2 minutes) is the new ad of LG. Some claim that is just a ...

  1. #1
    SAMARAS std10093's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nice, France
    Posts
    2,681

    LG "joke"

    I heard that this (video of 2 minutes) is the new ad of LG. Some claim that is just a joke.

    Do you think it is too much? Maybe we can not feel it from the video, but the reactions of the people that are being interviewed seem to be intense, or do you think they are just acting?

    And by the way, how would you react? :P
    Code - functions and small libraries I use


    It’s 2014 and I still use printf() for debugging.


    "Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute. " —Harold Abelson

  2. #2
    - - - - - - - - oogabooga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,808
    It looks to me like the people are real.
    Personally, I'd sue them.
    The cost of software maintenance increases with the square of the programmer's creativity. - Robert D. Bliss

  3. #3
    SAMARAS std10093's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nice, France
    Posts
    2,681
    Quote Originally Posted by oogabooga View Post
    It looks to me like the people are real.
    Me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by oogabooga View Post
    Personally, I'd sue them.
    Always wondering why shows/ads/etc (not that's not a path, / indicates "or" in this case :P ) do not fear of getting indictment.
    I can recall certain shows that do worse jokes than that. Punk'd, if the name is correct, is an example. I had watched maximum 5 times. At least the 3, were very bad jokes...
    Code - functions and small libraries I use


    It’s 2014 and I still use printf() for debugging.


    "Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute. " —Harold Abelson

  4. #4
    - - - - - - - - oogabooga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,808
    The cost of software maintenance increases with the square of the programmer's creativity. - Robert D. Bliss

  5. #5
    SAMARAS std10093's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nice, France
    Posts
    2,681
    There is really a possibility of a heart attack!

    I mean, in the case of the video I have in the first post, people go there for a job interview. Most of them get anxious, some very some in a normal condition. But you do not know, how much the person wants to do well in this interview, thus how much anxious he is, or nervous, or stressed.

    Moreover, I do not think that they have their medical history checked before letting them enter the room...
    Code - functions and small libraries I use


    It’s 2014 and I still use printf() for debugging.


    "Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute. " —Harold Abelson

  6. #6
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,640
    Quote Originally Posted by std10093 View Post
    And by the way, how would you react? :P
    I'd accept it as a good joke, and consider myself foolish for having been fooled by an movie.

    Quote Originally Posted by oogabooga View Post
    Personally, I'd sue them.
    Of course, because if someone shows you a convincing video of your city being destroyed, they totally owe you lots of money.

    OTOH, I don't think I would sign the release papers until I get compensated for my time.
    A class that doesn't overload all operators just isn't finished yet. -- SmugCeePlusPlusWeenie
    A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God. -- Alan J. Perlis

  7. #7
    - - - - - - - - oogabooga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarin View Post
    I'd accept it as a good joke, and consider myself foolish for having been fooled by an movie.

    Of course, because if someone shows you a convincing video of your city being destroyed, they totally owe you lots of money.

    OTOH, I don't think I would sign the release papers until I get compensated for my time.
    I suppose the average pathetic weakling wouldn't mind being used and made fun of when thinking they're going to a job interview, especially if they were given some cash. But some of us have balls. I would sue them, not because they "owe" me money, but simply to stand up for myself and teach them a lesson.

    And the people were not "fooled by a movie". They were in a position where it would have been virtually impossible not to take what they were seeing seriously, especially after the Chelyabinsk meteor.
    The cost of software maintenance increases with the square of the programmer's creativity. - Robert D. Bliss

  8. #8
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,640
    Quote Originally Posted by oogabooga View Post
    I suppose the average pathetic weakling wouldn't mind being used and made fun of when thinking they're going to a job interview, especially if they were given some cash. But some of us have balls. I would sue them, not because they "owe" me money, but simply to stand up for myself and teach them a lesson.
    You imply that being okay with being the subject of a joke is pathetic and weak. But contraire, in fact you're inability to receive the joke with grace indicates not that you "have balls", but that you're a proud egotist that's "too good" for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by oogabooga View Post
    And the people were not "fooled by a movie". They were in a position where it would have been virtually impossible not to take what they were seeing seriously, especially after the Chelyabinsk meteor.
    If it was in fact a window, looking out it would have caused your eyes to focus out. But it was a screen (decently close too), meaning to look at it your eyes would focus in. Big giveaway.
    I'll bet that there were people that _weren't_ fooled by it, but there's no reason for them to show that.
    Elysia likes this.
    A class that doesn't overload all operators just isn't finished yet. -- SmugCeePlusPlusWeenie
    A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God. -- Alan J. Perlis

  9. #9
    - - - - - - - - oogabooga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,808
    Obviously I disagree.

    Anyway, you started it, you weak pathetic little twerp.
    The cost of software maintenance increases with the square of the programmer's creativity. - Robert D. Bliss

  10. #10
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,668
    Quote Originally Posted by oogabooga View Post
    ...But some of us have balls. I would sue them, not because they "owe" me money, but simply to stand up for myself and teach them a lesson.
    You don't sue someone because that someone played a harmless prank on you. That's an abuse of the suing system.
    Consider how much the system costs, and how little you lost because of it and then compare the two.
    Clearly, running the court costs lots and lots of money, and who will pay that in the end for one silly little joke? You are unreasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  11. #11
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21,794
    In this case, I suspect that LG had it staged with actors. It would have been safer anyway since the aim was to produce an advertisement that looks like a prank, and hence hopefully would go viral, rather than produce a prank for the sake of making an audience laugh.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia
    You don't sue someone because that someone played a harmless prank on you.
    The problem as described in the articles that oogabooga linked to is that intentionally harmless pranks might not turn out to be harmless. Furthermore, even if they did turn out to be harmless from a medical point of view, the person involved may have incurred a cost that he/she would not have been willing to pay if he/she had known the facts, e.g., give up a real interview for a badly needed job to get this fake interview.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia
    Clearly, running the court costs lots and lots of money, and who will pay that in the end for one silly little joke?
    The company that staged the prank. You could say that this is a risk of doing business, which is why I doubt LG would have taken that risk since performing pranks is not their business.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Version Control System: Bazaar

    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  12. #12
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,069
    I must agree... I don't think a lawsuit would be totally out of the question if the person incurred any real loss as the result of the prank, even though the intent was harmless. Most countries have laws that explicitly distinguish harm with and without intent. They do that because harm, even without intent, should not go unpunished as a means to make people consider the unintended consequences of their actions.

    That said, I don't think I would sue if I didn't really lose anything in the process (especially if I was compensated for any minor loss I might have incurred like travel expenses and such) and I don't think that means I don't "have balls."
    Sent from my iPad®

  13. #13
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,668
    Quote Originally Posted by laserlight View Post
    The problem as described in the articles that oogabooga linked to is that intentionally harmless pranks might not turn out to be harmless. Furthermore, even if they did turn out to be harmless from a medical point of view, the person involved may have incurred a cost that he/she would not have been willing to pay if he/she had known the facts, e.g., give up a real interview for a badly needed job to get this fake interview.
    Hence, a prank. Even if the actors did not know, it is my belief that this level of prank does not justify suing someone.
    The point about a medical point of view is valid, however. If someone got a heart attack from that, then it might have been appropriate to sue them because doing pranks that causes heart attacks is not okay. Regardless of that point, you'd first have to prove that they did a prank knowing that it could cause a heart attack or some other medical condition and went ahead with it anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  14. #14
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    you'd first have to prove that they did a prank knowing that it could cause a heart attack or some other medical condition
    It looks to me like some logical error here...

    So you mean if someone hit someone else with a car, it is enough to say "I did not know he was there" and walk away without being sued?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  15. #15
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,668
    Running into someone with a car is not a prank. Besides, it's illegal to do so (on purpose).
    There is nothing illegal on pulling a prank on people. However, it can have undesired effects depending on medical conditions.

    I see this situation as equal to giving someone a drink which that someone is allergic to, but the giver does not know that.
    If the giver did not know, then can you fault him/her? Perhaps. But I don't know if suing that someone might be the best answer.
    If the giver DID know and did it on purpose, then that would be illegal since the giver would inflict harm on purpose, and it would be enough to sue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2012, 06:15 AM
  2. Interview with Bjarne Stroustrup "C++ a joke"
    By novacain in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-31-2003, 10:55 PM
  3. "itoa"-"_itoa" , "inp"-"_inp", Why some functions have "
    By L.O.K. in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-08-2002, 07:25 AM
  4. "CWnd"-"HWnd","CBitmap"-"HBitmap"...., What is mean by "
    By L.O.K. in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2002, 06:59 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21