Like Tree23Likes

America

This is a discussion on America within the General Discussions forums, part of the Community Boards category; While surfing the net, I found this clever && interesting picture....

  1. #1
    SAMARAS std10093's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glyfada,Athens
    Posts
    2,650

    America

    While surfing the net, I found this clever && interesting picture.
    Name:  1236684_594418140626164_1285025236_n.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  76.5 KB
    Code - functions and small libraries I use


    It’s 2014 and I still use printf() for debugging.


    "Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute. " —Harold Abelson

  2. #2
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,534
    I wish I could like your post twice
    A class that doesn't overload all operators just isn't finished yet. -- SmugCeePlusPlusWeenie
    A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God. -- Alan J. Perlis

  3. #3
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,383
    Not very clever for several reasons, but also because

    a) the author of that nonsense uses the same location for Afghanistan and Pakistan
    b) Doesn't know the 1999 (to which that picture belongs) NATO bombing campaigns in Yugoslavia, were a 14 country joint operation after the UN security council authorized the use of force in the conflict. All Security Council countries voted for it, with only China abstaining.
    c) There's North Korea and South Korea. South are USA allies, everyone fears North Korea and they constant threats of a nuclear attack.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  4. #4
    SAMARAS std10093's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glyfada,Athens
    Posts
    2,650
    Yarin, I know what you mean.

    Mario, try to get the point.
    Code - functions and small libraries I use


    It’s 2014 and I still use printf() for debugging.


    "Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute. " —Harold Abelson

  5. #5
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,383
    Quote Originally Posted by std10093 View Post
    Mario, try to get the point.
    I don't feel like validating the point that while USA must be directly responsible for the attacks on the WTC, none of the other countries are directly responsible for USA attacks on them. Seems like euro trash talk.
    stahta01 likes this.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  6. #6
    SAMARAS std10093's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glyfada,Athens
    Posts
    2,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    Seems like euro trash talk.
    Say this to all the people who were killed (armed or unarmed) for the profit of the big players... Tell this to there families..
    Code - functions and small libraries I use


    It’s 2014 and I still use printf() for debugging.


    "Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute. " —Harold Abelson

  7. #7
    Registered User whiteflags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,525
    Quote Originally Posted by std10093 View Post
    While surfing the net, I found this clever && interesting picture.
    Tumblr and facebook are pretty interesting on the first day, I will admit.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,068
    Quote Originally Posted by std10093 View Post
    Say this to all the people who were killed (armed or unarmed) for the profit of the big players... Tell this to there families..
    While I detest many actions of the US government, I prefer criticisms that are thought out and well written, as opposed to over-simplified pictures that lack any coherent information. To me, the picture you posted is more propaganda than a reasonable argument. While this "cutesy" method of presenting information might be alright for certain things, it is sorely inadequate for making serious criticisms of global importance.

    If this was posted "in fun", it wouldn't be so bad. But to use this picture as a political statement reeks of intellectual laziness.

    I am an American. I am not offended by the picture. I am not offended by the statements implied by the picture. What bothers me is the lack of seriousness in which your "arguments" are presented. When making statements of great importance about global atrocities, there should be coherent points discussed and, whenever possible, evidence cited. That is how you make a serious argument.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,068
    [accidental duplicate]

  10. #10
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    a) the author of that nonsense uses the same location for Afghanistan and Pakistan
    Agreed, that is a lazy (dishonest?) thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    b) Doesn't know the 1999 (to which that picture belongs) NATO bombing campaigns in Yugoslavia, were a 14 country joint operation after the UN security council authorized the use of force in the conflict. All Security Council countries voted for it, with only China abstaining.
    I don't think that nullifies it's use in the picture, but you make a very good point nonetheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    c) There's North Korea and South Korea. South are USA allies, everyone fears North Korea and they constant threats of a nuclear attack.
    There is no threat of nuclear attack from North Korea, as much as world will try to make you believe so. They aren't that stupid.
    In modern times, nukes aren't desired for use against nations, but rather for a 'graduation card' of sorts for that country.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    I don't feel like validating the point that while USA must be directly responsible for the attacks on the WTC none of the other countries are directly responsible for USA attacks on them.
    I expected this to be the larger point of controversy. But alas, the facts support this picture's suggestion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    Seems like euro trash talk.
    Maybe. But as an American, I find this to be pretty accurate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Matticus View Post
    To me, the picture you posted is more propaganda than a reasonable argument.
    An ironic way to assess the picture, considering the "what I think I do" part very cleanly expresses the problem of American propaganda.

    Quote Originally Posted by Matticus View Post
    What bothers me is the lack of seriousness in which your "arguments" are presented.
    You assume that this is joke. While the "thinks I do" format definitely originated in humor, there is no rule that says it can't be used to deliver serious messages.
    A class that doesn't overload all operators just isn't finished yet. -- SmugCeePlusPlusWeenie
    A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God. -- Alan J. Perlis

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,068
    An ironic way to assess the picture, considering the "what I think I do" part very cleanly expresses the problem of American propaganda.
    Hardly ironic, especially if the picture arguably uses propaganda to accuse propaganda.

    You assume that this is joke. While the "thinks I do" format definitely originated in humor, there is no rule that says it can't be used to deliver serious messages.
    This is an issue I have with pictures like this on social media sites. When someone uses a simple picture or brief statement to make a criticism on an important issue, it shows (in my opinion) an over-simplification of both argument and understanding. Pictures like this and "bumper sticker" slogans lack attention to the important nuances of any complicated issue. It's more about using emotion to sway people to one way of thinking, as opposed to providing real and thorough information to allow people to come to a rational and informed understanding themselves.

  12. #12
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarin View Post
    I expected this to be the larger point of controversy. But alas, the facts support this picture's suggestion.
    The idea here is not whether USA is directly responsible for the WTC attacks. But if, where we to agree with that, wouldn't this, by the same reasoning, mean USA intervention in these countries wasn't it too the direct responsibility of those countries prior actions?

    This picture assumption is that USA actions lead to 9/12. But when accepting it, we will fall into a fallacy if we do not treat with the same reasoning those other countries. It's circular reasoning and one of the reasons why I find so abhorrent the discussion of whether America is responsible for 9/12.

    Also of interest, and a consequence of the above, the fact that if one ends up agreeing America is responsible for the attacks on their own soil then one must by extension agree or be a non critic of American military interventions since they aren't American responsibility. Oops?
    Last edited by Mario F.; 08-25-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  13. #13
    SAMARAS std10093's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glyfada,Athens
    Posts
    2,650
    THE IDEA IS SIMPLE: AMERICA KILLS PEOPLE FOR HER OWN PROFIT!

    And the bad thing is that America is the one who kills people for her own profit today. Yesterday, it was another big "player". In the ancient times, Greece was the one, then Egypt, then Italy and so on.
    And what if we remove completely America? Nothing, because there will be another mega-force, that will replace her and do the same again.

    The problem is of humanity and not of just America. America is just the player now.
    Code - functions and small libraries I use


    It’s 2014 and I still use printf() for debugging.


    "Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute. " —Harold Abelson

  14. #14
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Matticus View Post
    Hardly ironic, especially if the picture arguably uses propaganda to accuse propaganda.
    Any political message that disagrees with someone somewhere will be called propaganda. It's futile to argue in any direction with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Matticus View Post
    This is an issue I have with pictures like this on social media sites. When someone uses a simple picture or brief statement to make a criticism on an important issue, it shows (in my opinion) an over-simplification of both argument and understanding. Pictures like this and "bumper sticker" slogans lack attention to the important nuances of any complicated issue.
    I acknowledge heavy shortcomings of over simplifications, but it's often the only effective way of Saying What Can Be Heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matticus View Post
    It's more about using emotion to sway people to one way of thinking, as opposed to providing real and thorough information to allow people to come to a rational and informed understanding themselves.
    Again, the you're the one taking an emotion assessment of the picture, when it only makes assertions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    The idea here is not whether USA is directly responsible for the WTC attacks. But if, where we to agree with that, wouldn't this, by the same reasoning, mean USA intervention in these countries wasn't it too the direct responsibility of those countries prior actions?
    Well... really this depends on exactly how responsible you America is for the attacks.
    A class that doesn't overload all operators just isn't finished yet. -- SmugCeePlusPlusWeenie
    A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God. -- Alan J. Perlis

  15. #15
    Registered User whiteflags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,525
    I wonder if you can be banned for this?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. America Needs Dirt
    By DavidP in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-15-2004, 08:29 PM
  2. The America syndrome
    By lil_punjabi in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-18-2002, 03:32 PM
  3. America Haters
    By sean in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-16-2002, 01:32 AM
  4. America
    By gamegod3001 in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 01-26-2002, 07:00 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21