Thread: I want one of those....

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,215
    They actually do exist. Metal 3D printers.

    Just slightly more expensive.
    Ponoko - Ponoko - United States - Ponoko

  2. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,215
    Someone made a food printer, too. Except everything it prints taste the same.

  3. #18
    l'Anziano DavidP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Plano, Texas, United States
    Posts
    2,743
    This actually looks quite cool:

    https://getmyo.com/
    My Website

    "Circular logic is good because it is."

  4. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,619
    I'm thinking of grabbing a Roomba, and probably hacking the hell out of it (I have a soft spot for robots, and my house being cleaned by robot servants is exactly the kind of thing I'd do.

    Long-term I'd like to build my own home automation system, and tie everything from lights and heat to security and robotic cleaning into one unified system. That's a project still in the conceptual stages - need to start doing my homework on that one.
    You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear on a pink ball alone can take the head clean off a 90 pound midget at 300 yards.

  5. #20
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Long-term I'd like to build my own home automation system, and tie everything from lights and heat to security and robotic cleaning into one unified system. That's a project still in the conceptual stages - need to start doing my homework on that one.
    That ones cake if you're willing to spend the money. There are plenty of home automation companies that makes network attached RF transmitters and software that can communicate with RF light switches, outlets, motors in blinds, etc, etc. Most of the time, you can even open up the right ports and access it from the internet while you're away. You have to buy all of the receptacles and change them... they aren't cheap, but not absurd, either. I could understand it if you wanted to go cheaper and try to build all of that yourself from scratch, but ultimately, I'm sure you'd find it isn't worth the time and risk that you might be going against some very strict electrical code.
    Sent from my iPadŽ

  6. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyMaelstrom View Post
    That ones cake if you're willing to spend the money. There are plenty of home automation companies that makes network attached RF transmitters and software that can communicate with RF light switches, outlets, motors in blinds, etc, etc. Most of the time, you can even open up the right ports and access it from the internet while you're away. You have to buy all of the receptacles and change them... they aren't cheap, but not absurd, either. I could understand it if you wanted to go cheaper and try to build all of that yourself from scratch, but ultimately, I'm sure you'd find it isn't worth the time and risk that you might be going against some very strict electrical code.
    I'd probably buy the hardware, but I'd also probably code the software. Sometimes it feels good to DIY. Plus I can probably write a better front end customized to my specific house and needs.
    You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear on a pink ball alone can take the head clean off a 90 pound midget at 300 yards.

  7. #22
    Lurking whiteflags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    9,008
    Recently thought it would be a good idea to get shower taps that are digitized, so you can input a temperature.

  8. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteflags View Post
    Recently thought it would be a good idea to get shower taps that are digitized, so you can input a temperature.
    Hmm, that's a pretty neat idea too. Especially for me; I don't shower at a single temperature for the entire time. I like hot showers, but jumping straight to the final temperature would be painful because the skin is naturally cooler after sleeping and warming too rapidly is painful. So I usually do the 'boiling a frog' approach and start with a warm shower that I gradually increase in steps as my skin adjusts to the warmth.

    I do wonder if that problem works well with open-loop control (i.e. in a computerized program, there would be no biological feedback in the loop anymore).
    You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear on a pink ball alone can take the head clean off a 90 pound midget at 300 yards.

  9. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,215
    Would be cool to have closed loop feedback through your nervous system with a brain implant to keep the water right at your pain threshold.

  10. #25
    and the hat of copycat stevesmithx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    I do wonder if that problem works well with open-loop control (i.e. in a computerized program, there would be no biological feedback in the loop anymore).

    We do know that it doesn't work well with voice control.
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted
    - Albert Einstein.


    No programming language is perfect. There is not even a single best language; there are only languages well suited or perhaps poorly suited for particular purposes.
    - Herbert Mayer

  11. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberfish View Post
    Would be cool to have closed loop feedback through your nervous system with a brain implant to keep the water right at your pain threshold.
    Someday, my dream of being a cyborg will become reality... but probably not very soon.
    You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear on a pink ball alone can take the head clean off a 90 pound midget at 300 yards.

  12. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed