Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Yarin

Not a big fan of windows 8

This is a discussion on Not a big fan of windows 8 within the General Discussions forums, part of the Community Boards category; Anybody else bothered by the interface?...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Around 8.3 light-minutes from the Sun
    Posts
    1,866

    Not a big fan of windows 8

    Anybody else bothered by the interface?
    Quote Originally Posted by anduril462 View Post
    Now, please, for the love of all things good and holy, think about what you're doing! Don't just run around willy-nilly, coding like a drunk two-year-old....
    Quote Originally Posted by quzah View Post
    ..... Just don't be surprised when I say you aren't using standard C anymore, and as such,are off in your own little universe that I will completely disregard.
    Warning: Some or all of my posted code may be non-standard and as such should not be used and in no case looked at.

  2. #2
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,538
    You are not alone.
    What bothered me most as far as I remember are:
    - The fact that UAC can't be turned off without killing Metro apps.
    - The poor substitute for a start-menu (everything is flat, huge and no right-click menu).
    - Having to mouse into a corner to get menus (who the hell thought that was a good idea!?!).
    - How stupid Metro apps look (they look like from 1980 or so, from when computers just appeared).
    - The fact that you can only snap two Metro apps side-by-side and not even 50/50.
    - How much it confused me to switch between desktop/metro apps forth and back.
    - How utterly useless all built-in apps were (incredible waste of space, difficult to use, half-complete [IIRC there wasn't even a Celsius option in the weather app] etc); they looked like they were concept prototypes meant for smartphones.

    So yeah, I'm completely skipping Windows 8 even though I can get it for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Around 8.3 light-minutes from the Sun
    Posts
    1,866
    I unfortunately have it. What a waste of an OS, thank you for calling out how dumb the metro apps look.....
    Quote Originally Posted by anduril462 View Post
    Now, please, for the love of all things good and holy, think about what you're doing! Don't just run around willy-nilly, coding like a drunk two-year-old....
    Quote Originally Posted by quzah View Post
    ..... Just don't be surprised when I say you aren't using standard C anymore, and as such,are off in your own little universe that I will completely disregard.
    Warning: Some or all of my posted code may be non-standard and as such should not be used and in no case looked at.

  4. #4
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    What bothered me most as far as I remember are:
    - The fact that UAC can't be turned off without killing Metro apps.
    - The poor substitute for a start-menu (everything is flat, huge and no right-click menu).
    - Having to mouse into a corner to get menus (who the hell thought that was a good idea!?!).
    - How stupid Metro apps look (they look like from 1980 or so, from when computers just appeared).
    - The fact that you can only snap two Metro apps side-by-side and not even 50/50.
    - How much it confused me to switch between desktop/metro apps forth and back.
    - How utterly useless all built-in apps were (incredible waste of space, difficult to use, half-complete [IIRC there wasn't even a Celsius option in the weather app] etc); they looked like they were concept prototypes meant for smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewHunter View Post
    I unfortunately have it. What a waste of an OS, thank you for calling out how dumb the metro apps look.....
    These complaints may be resolved easier than you may think.
    A class that doesn't overload all operators just isn't finished yet. -- SmugCeePlusPlusWeenie
    A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God. -- Alan J. Perlis

  5. #5
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,538
    If you mean something else than switching to Linux, do elaborate...
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  6. #6
    Captain Crash brewbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    7,239
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewHunter View Post
    Anybody else bothered by the interface?
    They said Windows 95 looked like crap. Then they said Windows 98 looked like crap. Then they said Windows ME looked like crap. Then they said Windows XP looked like crap. Then they said Windows Vista looked like crap. Then they didn't change the UI much for Windows 7, and people didn't say it looked like crap. Then they said Windows 8 looked like crap.

    It's not going to be any different this time around.
    Code:
    //try
    //{
    	if (a) do { f( b); } while(1);
    	else   do { f(!b); } while(1);
    //}

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Access Windows directory with OPENFILENAME in Windows mobile
    By nikhilesh1987 in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-31-2011, 02:49 AM
  2. GetDiskFreeSpace Windows API fails on windows 2000
    By dnyampawar in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 03:39 AM
  3. Open an excel file from a windows service under Windows Vista
    By AdrianaLuby in forum C# Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-05-2007, 03:55 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-03-2005, 04:44 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-07-2002, 01:46 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21