Like Tree13Likes

What OS do you guys Use and why?

This is a discussion on What OS do you guys Use and why? within the General Discussions forums, part of the Community Boards category; Home: Ubuntu on my desktop & laptop. I also have a Mac. Virtual machine of XP when needed Work: Windows ...

  1. #46
    &TH of undefined behavior Fordy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    5,789
    Home: Ubuntu on my desktop & laptop. I also have a Mac. Virtual machine of XP when needed
    Work: Windows Vista (need windows for the applications we use). I also control the servers (2 Linux, 1 Windows 2003)
    Phone: Android

    I wont comment as to why I think one is better than another, only use my stock reply in such discussions:
    "My choice of (OS | Programming Language | God | Sexiest Catwalk Model | Political Party | M&M Colour| Sports Team) is so much better than yours that I dont even need to justify why!"
    (delete as applicable)

  2. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    The WinAPI is a mess.
    You responded from a developer's perspective, and I understand why, but I was speaking from a user's perspective, although I'll admit I wasn't clear about that.

    Users are familiar with the standard desktop, and I see the move to metro as microsoft's attempt to make every desktop PC into a tablet, because "tablets are the future of computing," or whatever nonsense is the story of the day. I think that most long-time windows users will resist metro, regardless of the "improvement" that it represents, because in their eyes, it will really simply be an unnecessary change from the systems with which they are already familiar. people resisted the taskbar/desktop concept when windows 95 was released, but it actually turned out to be a very good change. I don't know anyone who would want to go back to the program manager of windows 3.1/NT 3.51, having used the windows 95 or newer desktop.

  3. #48
    Master Apprentice phantomotap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,230
    "My choice of (...) is so much better than yours that I dont even need to justify why!"
    O_o

    You forgot the most important consideration: single malt scotch region?

    Soma
    Elkvis likes this.

  4. #49
    &TH of undefined behavior Fordy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    5,789
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomotap View Post
    O_o

    You forgot the most important consideration: single malt scotch region?

    Soma
    Islay. No discussion on that one either

  5. #50
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkvis View Post
    You responded from a developer's perspective, and I understand why, but I was speaking from a user's perspective, although I'll admit I wasn't clear about that.

    Users are familiar with the standard desktop, and I see the move to metro as microsoft's attempt to make every desktop PC into a tablet, because "tablets are the future of computing," or whatever nonsense is the story of the day. I think that most long-time windows users will resist metro, regardless of the "improvement" that it represents, because in their eyes, it will really simply be an unnecessary change from the systems with which they are already familiar. people resisted the taskbar/desktop concept when windows 95 was released, but it actually turned out to be a very good change. I don't know anyone who would want to go back to the program manager of windows 3.1/NT 3.51, having used the windows 95 or newer desktop.
    I agree with you there. Metro is confusing, even for seasoned computer users because it's a separate world from the desktop. You might say that metro apps run in their own desktop, so you must switch between desktops to switch between apps.
    Anyway, I disagree with a lot of the simplification and the ugliness of Metro. I am extremely critical of it. Yet, from a developer perspective, they are taking a step in the right direction.
    So no, it isn't perfect, but it isn't a total mess. They did something right at least. I do, after all, as a user want high quality applications (or as much high quality as possible).
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  6. #51
    Master Apprentice phantomotap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,230
    Islay. No discussion on that one either
    O_o

    I have to go find a new Decepticon. ;_;

    Soma

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Hey Guys, can anybody help?
    By MstrKurt in forum C Programming
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 12:37 PM
  2. Hello guys =)
    By carol.prime in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-22-2006, 10:25 AM
  3. hey guys
    By MoneyH20 in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 01:56 PM
  4. where are you guys!!!?????!!!!
    By Gades in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 04-22-2005, 10:56 AM
  5. ASP.NET, what do you guys think?
    By Kleid-0 in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 01:30 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21