Like Tree28Likes

Dennis M. Ritchie

This is a discussion on Dennis M. Ritchie within the General Discussions forums, part of the Community Boards category; Originally Posted by Elysia C is not a wonderful language, and Linux is not a great operating system in my ...

  1. #31
    Internet Superhero
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    C is not a wonderful language, and Linux is not a great operating system in my opinion. And that is all I am going to say and why I regretted subscribing to the thread.
    The man did a lot of good to the world, but nothing wrong, so he deserves praise, but I am not going to endure praise to the works he created.
    You did not answer my question though, you said that dmr was not the greatest of pioneers, so who, in your opinion, is a great pioneer in the field of computer science. The reason i ask is that i'm beginning to think there is no such person.
    How I need a drink, alcoholic in nature, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics.

  2. #32
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    C is not a wonderful language, and Linux is not a great operating system in my opinion.
    Haha, you didn't think that one through, bashing C on a C Board!
    I agree that Linux is flawed, and I see this better as time passes, but what gets me, is the problems with it are _not_ as you described. In fact, some of your points against Linux are what I love about, and find to be its redeming qualities.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    People are defined by their actions, not words, no? You wouldn't believe me even if I did say so.
    Eh, words are subset of actions, so that's not entirely true. But I get your point and do mostly agree. However, we are communicating in words, there aren't very many "actions" to judge people by here on a forum.
    And, don't bash smilies. I keel you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    So what do I mean by surpass? Simple. A language that I get less frustrated working with.
    Lets see, something that _I_ personally get frustrated by is C's, C++'s, (and even C++0x's, I believe) lack of macros (and, but lesser so, closures). Preprocessors are not comparable to Lisp style macros. I _really_ wish the C family had this, but they don't and it is a constant source of frustration for me. What's more, is other languages try to remedy this by adding more syntactic sugar, which just exasperates the problem!
    But, I do agree that RAII is superior to Garbage Collection, which has also kept me from many other languages (ironically, Lisp is GCed, too).
    And, how in the world do you expect to better yourself in any way while being lazy‽
    Elysia likes this.

  3. #33
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarin View Post
    Haha, you didn't think that one through, bashing C on a C Board!
    I agree that Linux is flawed, and I see this better as time passes, but what gets me, is the problems with it are _not_ as you described. In fact, some of your points against Linux are what I love about, and find to be its redeming qualities.
    Problems? Eh, more like deterring factors to some. But not all, obviously, you being one of them

    And, how in the world do you expect to better yourself in any way while being lazy‽
    Eh, it's not something I can easily change. It's not like I'm being lazy on purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  4. #34
    In my head happyclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    391
    RIP Mr. Ritchie.
    whiteflags likes this.
    OS: Linux Mint 13(Maya) LTS 64 bit.

  5. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    C is not a wonderful language
    C is a wonderful language, in the same way that latin is a wonderful language. it (has | should have) been superceded by other languages, specifically C++, but it still has its supporters. it's true that C is really just platform-independent assembly, making it attractive for many embedded applications, but in reality, a well written C++ program should perform as well as the same program written in C, and in fact, should be easier to follow/maintain. automatic construction/destruction of objects, as well as the ability to control it manually, is a very strong point in favor of C++. most valid C programs are valid C++ programs, so in my opinion, C should be all but a dead language, just like latin. yes, some people still choose to speak latin, and many people can read and write it, but that doesn't mean that it's any more appropriate in today's world than C is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    Linux is not a great operating system
    I disagree on this point, but operating system preferences are purely opinion-based anyway. all of the major players in the field are based on sound software design principles (generally speaking), so an argumnent over which OS's kernel or API is better is really pointless.

  6. #36
    That weird Java guy xniinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    230
    RIP dmr, without you Steve Jobs probably wouldn't have had his job in the first place.
    manasij7479 likes this.

  7. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    142
    Ha, ha!

    The fact that everybody feels the need to put Jobs into any imaginable context on almost any imaginable forum these days just proves how influential he was.

  8. #38
    Registered User gardhr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    151
    Just change the words to Dennis M. Ritchie. Actually sounds pretty close.

  9. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,492
    jobs is known for being influential because he was a very public figure. dmr was not public in any way, and so remained unknown to the masses, despite his arguably greater contributions to computers and technology. just because his name isn't a household name, does not diminish his importance or influence.
    Salem likes this.

  10. #40
    Cogito Ergo Sum
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    463
    Elysia is not as open-minded as she claims she is. I remember long unfruitful discussions about how C sucks, and how she can't wrap her mind around why C continues to have big open fields in electrical engineering.
    =========================================
    Everytime you segfault, you murder some part of the world

  11. #41
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,768
    That proves nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  12. #42
    That weird Java guy xniinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    230
    On a lighter note. My history teacher showed me this. This involves Jobs so I think it is only necessary. btw its funny.
    Link
    MK27, Yarin, GReaper and 1 others like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Kernighan and Ritchie: Gods
    By Vespasian in forum Programming Book and Product Reviews
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-25-2011, 11:41 PM
  2. Kernighan and Ritchie confusion
    By suchthefool in forum C Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-06-2011, 10:16 AM
  3. Kerningham Ritchie - example query
    By aynzoya in forum C Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-20-2009, 12:25 PM
  4. doubt about kernighan and ritchie excercise 1-12
    By afol_1 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-05-2009, 06:31 PM
  5. Kernighan & Ritchie's vengance
    By "%s", username in forum C Programming
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 12:01 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21