I have a group project to do in school right now. My role is to find out about a career as a programmer. I was wondering if those who are a programmer by profession wouldn't mind answering the following questions. There are 15 of them. I thought it would add a lot of value to my presentation if I had people who were actually in the industry give their input.
1. What is your official title where you currently work?
2. What are the different positions or titles you can hold in a career as a programmer? For example, I've heard of Jr. Level Programmer and Sr. Level Programmer. What are the differences between them?
3. How do you attain a higher level and better paying position? Is it by years experience, hours of programming, or quality of projects?4. How are projects started, delegated, implemented, and finished in your company? What is your role in this process?
5. Are you usually working on more than one project at a time?
6. How long do projects take to complete?
7. Do you get to see the finished project?
8. What was the most boring, most exciting, and most challenging task you had to complete? What are you currently working on now?
9. Roughly, what percentage of your job involves dealing with people and working on teams, and what percentage is independant work?10. How many hours per day/week do you work?
11. What time do you start work and when do you finish?
12. Do you get any breaks, and how long are they?
13. Are there deadlines?
14. Is the job stressful?
15. Do you work a lot of overtime hours?