Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By quzah
  • 1 Post By Salem

Get ready for another 21st of the month disappointment

This is a discussion on Get ready for another 21st of the month disappointment within the General Discussions forums, part of the Community Boards category; Well May was a damp squib. How Harold Camping marketed the Rapture - CBS News Maybe this month will be ...

  1. #1
    and the hat of wrongness Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The edge of the known universe
    Posts
    32,451

    Get ready for another 21st of the month disappointment

    Well May was a damp squib.
    How Harold Camping marketed the Rapture - CBS News

    Maybe this month will be the one?
    Harold Camping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Another swing and a miss from HC seems the likely outcome.

    But wait, there's more
    2012 End Of The World - End Of The World 2012 Predictions
    Now that's more like it, 21st December. Get the beers in for a solstice day celebration around a nice bonfire.
    If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.
    If at first you don't succeed, try writing your phone number on the exam paper.
    I support http://www.ukip.org/ as the first necessary step to a free Europe.

  2. #2
    Programming Wraith GReaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    But wait, there's more
    2012 End Of The World - End Of The World 2012 Predictions
    Now that's more like it, 21st December. Get the beers in for a solstice day celebration around a nice bonfire.
    You know, I never understood the reason why these people tell others that the world is about to end. Unfortunately, noone give any details about how it's gonna end, leaving me to believe that the world's end has come many times, and more times to come.
    Devoted my life to programming...

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,297
    my personal theory is that the world has ended many, many times, and we are all just too selfish and self-absorbed to have noticed.

  4. #4
    Programming Wraith GReaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkvis View Post
    my personal theory is that the world has ended many, many times, and we are all just too selfish and self-absorbed to have noticed.
    Well, when people hear about "the world's ending", they assume that everything will fall apart and they'll die... The sentence itself has multiple meanings and none of these "prophets" clarifies it.

    Just like in ancient Greece, Delphi:
    You shall be harmed in battle, not to return alive.
    You see that if you shift the comma after the "not", the meaning of the sentence reverses ( I don't know if I translated correctly ).

    Similar sentences where being told to people who went to consult the oracle. Whichever the outcome, the oracle had given the correct answer just by claiming that that person didn't understand.

    See?
    Last edited by GReaper; 10-01-2011 at 03:25 AM.
    Devoted my life to programming...

  5. #5
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,412
    I have my own infallible prediction. It's true, it's been pretty much scientifically corroborated and there's no way we can stop it.
    The world is going to end in the day you die.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,297
    and according to the uncertainty principle, the world did not exist until I first became aware of it (an event has not occurred until it has been observed). just like it will cease to exist, from my frame of reference, when I die.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator VirtualAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    9,590
    About a month ago I took a cruise to Bermuda but was re-routed to Cozumel due to Hurricane Irene. While in Cozumel I took the trip to the Tulum ruins and the tour guide talked about the Mayan calendar thing. He said that the end of the world garbage was started by someone who looked at the calendar and found a way to make a lot of money off of it. In actuality the calendar does not end it simply does not go that far. Due to the way the Mayans numbering system works there are only a limited number of years it can represent similar to max values of data types in computers. Once that final day of the final years comes the Mayans would simply wrap back around to the start of the calendar and continue moving. There is no evidence they felt the world would end simply b/c their numbering system could only represent a finite amount of years. No evidence at all in their history, writings, drawings, etc. This is simply a modern thing perpetrated on people all for the sake of making money. I had no interest in the 2012 thing until the guy explained quite honestly how much of a hoax it was and how the current Mayan descendants feel about whole thing. Just another wacko trying to make a buck off of stupidity.

  8. #8
    ATH0 quzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    14,826
    The Mayans were the first Unix programmers.


    Quzah.
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,208
    Actually, the universe ceased to exist three minutes ago. Most people didn't notice, since we moved into an alternate reality.
    Right 98% of the time, and don't care about the other 3%.

  10. #10
    and the hat of wrongness Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The edge of the known universe
    Posts
    32,451
    See you all in the morning
    If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.
    If at first you don't succeed, try writing your phone number on the exam paper.
    I support http://www.ukip.org/ as the first necessary step to a free Europe.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    9,547
    Quote Originally Posted by VirtualAce View Post
    About a month ago I took a cruise to Bermuda but was re-routed to Cozumel due to Hurricane Irene. While in Cozumel I took the trip to the Tulum ruins and the tour guide talked about the Mayan calendar thing. He said that the end of the world garbage was started by someone who looked at the calendar and found a way to make a lot of money off of it. In actuality the calendar does not end it simply does not go that far. Due to the way the Mayans numbering system works there are only a limited number of years it can represent similar to max values of data types in computers. Once that final day of the final years comes the Mayans would simply wrap back around to the start of the calendar and continue moving. There is no evidence they felt the world would end simply b/c their numbering system could only represent a finite amount of years. No evidence at all in their history, writings, drawings, etc. This is simply a modern thing perpetrated on people all for the sake of making money. I had no interest in the 2012 thing until the guy explained quite honestly how much of a hoax it was and how the current Mayan descendants feel about whole thing. Just another wacko trying to make a buck off of stupidity.
    So.... P. T. Barnum was right???

    Who knew!

  12. #12
    and the hat of copycat stevesmithx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    493
    This one takes the cake:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Camping said his company would not return money donated by followers to publicize the failed May 21 prediction, stating: "We’re not at the end. Why would we
    return it
    ?"
    I predict, HC will predict again.
    Last edited by stevesmithx; 10-21-2011 at 01:14 PM.
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted
    - Albert Einstein.


    No programming language is perfect. There is not even a single best language; there are only languages well suited or perhaps poorly suited for particular purposes.
    - Herbert Mayer

  13. #13
    and the hat of wrongness Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The edge of the known universe
    Posts
    32,451
    Well the prophet for profit business has always been like that - long on promise, short on delivery.
    Yarin likes this.
    If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.
    If at first you don't succeed, try writing your phone number on the exam paper.
    I support http://www.ukip.org/ as the first necessary step to a free Europe.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. One month calendar
    By danieldcc in forum C Programming
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 03:18 PM
  2. Year, month and day
    By Newbie999 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-01-2006, 09:17 AM
  3. getting number for Month
    By Jasonymk in forum C# Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-09-2005, 03:35 AM
  4. getting the next day's day, month, year etc
    By underthesun in forum C Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-17-2005, 06:43 AM
  5. in one month i shall return.
    By doubleanti in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-05-2002, 07:35 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21