Like Tree42Likes

God hates cross-posters!

This is a discussion on God hates cross-posters! within the General Discussions forums, part of the Community Boards category; Except time that could have been spent on another thread. Read the asymptotic result of EVERYONE cross-posting everywhere. The chance ...

  1. #106
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    72
    Except time that could have been spent on another thread. Read the asymptotic result of EVERYONE cross-posting everywhere. The chance of any single thread being answered when there are say 1000 posts per day, ALL of them cross-posted would tend towards zero.
    I never like this, as this clearly would never happen
    what would happen if evrey one in the whole word got on this site? should we not let anyone new on?


    If all helpers have a finite amount of time they allocate to "help" (regardless of whatever value they place on it), then one question getting answered twice directly infers that another thread gets one LESS answer.
    The problem of this is that
    A. We don't know how much time each user is on
    B. a user only requires on correct answer to get what he came form so Unless it drops to 0 it makes no difference, and if the helper is like you and you see he is a cross poster then you wont reply and will reply to the other guy, problem solved.

    Now imagine the mind-set of a person who didn't get an answer because some selfish git cross-posted and got multiple duplicate answers.
    A. how would this person know? thats kind of like saying because he did this, I can't do that, the universe wont let me, you have no way of knowing if the person did not cross post and they got the answer.


    It isn't for MY benefit that I point out cross-posts, it's for everyone else who might spend time posting an answer. Instead, they click on the link and see whether what they were about to say hasn't been said already.
    you mean what happens on all forums? in the same thread? billions of billions of pepole post the same response in the same thread
    is that not wasted time? should we not be mad at them?

    If I was just posting to kill time, then surely I would be posting any old pith on any old GD thread - mmm, that sounds like a troll (ring any bells - ezmeralda?)
    I agree with you on this one.

    So time is only valuable if there is a monetary reward at the end of it? Gee, better not let your significant other hear that.
    Personally, I've no more desire to waste time on cross-posters as I have to do the homework of drive-by poop and scoop types. Neither group is interested in the longer term, only how easily they can pass the class and get back to the party.
    Once again, I'm with you


    I was, but then I saw the cross-posted link in a reply, and then I wasn't.
    But I did click on the "like" button of the person who saved me from what could have been a big waste of time.
    It's a big waste of time to answer a question?
    Since you know have the knowledge to see what others put why don't use that to type up a response not wasting your time , as you've clicked on a thread, read the response, saw the link may, or may not have clicked on a link, ect. you basically just spent the time it would of taken to write up a response.

    Talking of wasting time - that's quite enough I've spend on this thread.
    Fair enough.


    And again I sitll am unsure of which side I am on.
    English is my first language, I'm just not any good at typing\writing it, I can read and speak it just fine.

  2. #107
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    If all helpers have a finite amount of time they allocate to "help" (regardless of whatever value they place on it), then one question getting answered twice directly infers that another thread gets one LESS answer (possibly this becomes zero answers).
    Definitely the best argument against cross posting

  3. #108
    ATH0 quzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    14,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Prelude View Post
    You seem distraught by my choice of "/thread", which is the equivalent of "QED". Am I not allowed to post in threads because I'm a moderator? By the way, I notice that this thread is still open, which means all you're doing right now is fear mongering.
    When you show up as a moderator and say "move along" and "/thread", that's different than if I show up and say it.

    You lose some of your freedom to "joke around" as a moderator. Your words have more weight than someone who is not a moderator. So you cannot simply show up and tell people the thread has had enough. You don't get to anymore. This discussion has been had before.


    Quzah.
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

  4. #109
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by quzah View Post
    When you show up as a moderator and say "move along" and "/thread", that's different than if I show up and say it.

    You lose some of your freedom to "joke around" as a moderator. Your words have more weight than someone who is not a moderator. So you cannot simply show up and tell people the thread has had enough. You don't get to anymore. This discussion has been had before.
    Your over reacting.
    Considering she said "kthnxbye" (which is inherently not serious) & _didn't_ in fact close the thread even though she said "end thread", I think makes it obvious that it's a personal opinion & not a moderative one. Now, had she closed the thread, that would've been out of line, but as it stands, I'm still posting...

  5. #110
    ATH0 quzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    14,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarin View Post
    Your over reacting.
    No I'm not. You don't have the freedom as a moderator to show up and tell people to stop posting and then pretend you are just joking around. It is what is known as a veiled threat. You cannot pretend you don't have the ability to ruin everyone's fun as a moderator, because everyone knows that what you are really saying is "I don't like what you are posting, stop posting it or I'm going to lock your thread."


    Quzah.
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

  6. #111
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    72
    I know for a fact thats not what the mod meant, what the mod meant was what you or I mean when we do that.
    See, your still posting what you say the person dose not like and guess what? thread is still unlocked. So apparently, your wrong.
    English is my first language, I'm just not any good at typing\writing it, I can read and speak it just fine.

  7. #112
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by quzah View Post
    No I'm not. You don't have the freedom as a moderator to show up and tell people to stop posting and then pretend you are just joking around. It is what is known as a veiled threat. You cannot pretend you don't have the ability to ruin everyone's fun as a moderator, because everyone knows that what you are really saying is "I don't like what you are posting, stop posting it or I'm going to lock your thread."
    I know, you've already made that point. My counter point is in the part of my post that you didn't quote. Which, Shawn, for the most part reiterated: It wasn't a veiled threat. The fact that we're still posting proves it simply because if it was a threat, we wouldn't be.

  8. #113
    ATH0 quzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    14,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Belcher View Post
    I know for a fact thats not what the mod meant
    No you don't. You think that's what they mean, and they can pretend their words have no deeper context, but you cannot know that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Belcher View Post
    , what the mod meant was what you or I mean when we do that.
    You cannot pretend you are a regular citizen when you aren't. A police man telling you to stop riding your bike is different than the old guy on the corner to stop riding your bike. You can pretend he's "just a guy", but he's not. He's a cop. His words carry more weight than the old guy on the corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Belcher View Post
    See, your still posting what you say the person dose not like and guess what? thread is still unlocked. So apparently, your wrong.
    They can't very well lock the thread now without proving me right.


    Quzah.
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

  9. #114
    Super Moderator VirtualAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    9,586
    They can't very well lock the thread now without proving me right.
    No rules have been broken and thus there is no reason to close it. You really think we run around the forum all giddy with glee about which threads we are going to close today? I think you will find that most threads that have been closed as of late are either due to pure SPAM or bumping dead threads. And if no one wants moderators to moderate or close threads then why is my inbox literally filled with complaints from people asking the mods to close this thread or that thread due to whatever reason they can come up with? The number one source of new messages in my inbox is reported threads from cboard.

    ...because everyone knows that what you are really saying is "I don't like what you are posting, stop posting it or I'm going to lock your thread."
    I have never seen that reason given for closing a thread.

    And what are we talking about? I thought this thread was about cross-posting.
    Last edited by VirtualAce; 09-21-2011 at 05:44 PM.

  10. #115
    ATH0 quzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    14,826
    Quote Originally Posted by VirtualAce View Post
    No rules have been broken and thus there is no reason to close it.
    I've seen threads closed for cross posting, and that's not an actual rule. I've also seen thread closed because they've "gone on long enough", and that too is not an actual rule.


    Quzah.
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

  11. #116
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    72
    No you don't. You think that's what they mean, and they can pretend their words have no deeper context, but you cannot know
    Good, now take your own advice.

    because everyone knows that what you are really saying
    You cannot pretend you are a regular citizen when you aren't. A police man telling you to stop riding your bike is different than the old guy on the corner to stop riding your bike.
    not really I have had neighbors who are cops, when they say stop- i donut have to unless it breaks a rule.
    there is no rule that give the cop to tell any kid anytime to stop ridding their bikes
    same thing for mods you are overreacting

    You can pretend he's "just a guy", but he's not. He's a cop. His words carry more weight than the old guy on the corner.They can't very well lock the thread now without proving me right.
    So your whole proof that they want to is that they have not?
    uh huh, I think the problem here is you dont see the behined the scene and you go off topic a lot

    "this is getting no where" is in the rules

    . Please construct posts with content that furthers the community or holds some merit. Messages posted solely to increase post counts, SPAM, and pointless one-liner posts are discouraged. Solicitation of any product without the consent of the Administration is forbidden. Do not post requests for clicks on referrer links of any kind. This includes indirect solicitation such as linking to a website whose purpose, in whole or in part, is such solicitation. Advertising for programming groups and jobs is allowed only on the recruitment board. (Please note the Recruitment Board Rules.) Anyone with questions about this policy, or who wants permission to post something of this nature, may PM
    me.


    Moderators have been granted the right to use their best judgement in the pursuit of community prosperity and peaceful operation. They are permitted to police posts that do not directly infringe the technicalities of a Rule, yet fall outside the intended spirit of them. Also note; The administration reserves the right to modify these guidelines and rules, along with the terms and conditions of use for these forums, at any time, without notification
    Last edited by Shawn Belcher; 09-21-2011 at 05:59 PM.
    English is my first language, I'm just not any good at typing\writing it, I can read and speak it just fine.

  12. #117
    Super Moderator VirtualAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    9,586
    Well we only have 11 rules and 1 of those is be nice so it isn't like we have a book of them laying around. Also I believe those reasons would fall under rule 10. Obviously something happened in the thread that one of the mods felt violated the spirit of the rules or the type of atmosphere that the rules are there to preserve and thus closed the thread. We can do this all day long and get nowhere but I really do not think it is that bad around here. The forums are nice and tidy and you don't see SPAM, swearing, all CAPS posts/titles, flame wars, etc. all over the place. So a few threads get closed in the process of keeping things tidy that perhaps could have been left open. Is it really that big of a deal? And even though I am a moderator I would say this if I were not one. I cannot prove that since 'I'm a cop' as you so graciously put it but it is the truth. Out of my 9000 some posts here I think maybe 1% of them were closed and even that is a stretch. I'm not sure that the 9000 number is all that accurate but I still have not had many, if any, of my threads/posts closed/deleted (except those that I delete myself).
    Last edited by VirtualAce; 09-21-2011 at 05:58 PM.

  13. #118
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    72
    Also there is a rule aginst corss posting in this forum


    3. Please follow the forum structure when posting. Post threads on the board best suited for the topic. Please do not cross post (i.e. post the same question on multiple boards). Do not bump threads. (Bumping: Posting messages on threads to move them up the list or to post on a thread that has been inactive for two weeks or longer).
    English is my first language, I'm just not any good at typing\writing it, I can read and speak it just fine.

  14. #119
    ATH0 quzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    14,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Belcher View Post
    So your whole proof that they want to is that they have not? uh huh, I think the problem here is you dont see the behined the scene and you go off topic a lot
    Kid, I've been here on this forum for something like 12 years. I think I know what a mod means more than you do. When a mod shows up and hints that a thread is over, they usually mean exactly what they are saying. Come back in a few thousand posts and try again.

    As to going off topic, this is about people complaining about cross posting, and mod behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Belcher View Post
    Also there is a rule aginst corss posting in this forum
    No there isn't. The cross posting in that "rule" isn't about posting on other web sites. It's about posting one topic on multiple forums here. This forum cannot tell you not to post on another website. Furthermore, even if they did, they have no proof it's me on both sites.

    I know you want to be a contributing member of society here, but you just look like a suck up.


    Quzah.
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

  15. #120
    Code Goddess Prelude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    9,796
    I think I know what a mod means more than you do.
    Being both a mod and the one who made the statement, I think I'm in the best position to know what was meant. Please stop putting words in my mouth.

    Since I'm a mod, feel free to take that last part as a threat. I'm sure you will anyway.
    My best code is written with the delete key.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Pet Hates
    By twomers in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-21-2006, 04:08 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-19-2005, 08:31 PM
  3. Work groups of cboard posters?
    By jverkoey in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 05:27 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21