Like Tree42Likes

God hates cross-posters!

This is a discussion on God hates cross-posters! within the General Discussions forums, part of the Community Boards category; So, returning to this thread's name "God hates cross-posters!", Probably not... That's why they keep coming! ( That or He ...

  1. #31
    Programming Wraith GReaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,620
    So, returning to this thread's name "God hates cross-posters!", Probably not... That's why they keep coming!
    ( That or He hates us... Either way, we're Doom™ed ... )
    Devoted my life to programming...

  2. #32
    ATH0 quzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    14,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    I do believe the uncertainty adds to the equation here, as well.
    Do you reply to a topic when you have nothing to add? If what you've wanted to say was already written, would you still add that reply (even if perhaps worded a little differently)?
    If the answer is no, how can you guarantee that someone else has not just added what you wanted to add on another forum?
    Why do I care if someone else shows up and answers what I was going to? Also: I may be replying to someone else, like say to make a pun.

    But really, I'm not seeing the concern here. Why should I care if someone else answers the question before me, or in a better way?


    Quzah.
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

  3. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Around 8.3 light-minutes from the Sun
    Posts
    1,866
    Quote Originally Posted by quzah View Post
    So cross-post-answering is worse than cross-post-asking.
    Quzah.
    Haha...brilliant! That is the answer; we should stop scolding people for cross posting questions and start scolding people for cross posting answers!!!!
    CommonTater and MK27 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by anduril462 View Post
    Now, please, for the love of all things good and holy, think about what you're doing! Don't just run around willy-nilly, coding like a drunk two-year-old....
    Quote Originally Posted by quzah View Post
    ..... Just don't be surprised when I say you aren't using standard C anymore, and as such,are off in your own little universe that I will completely disregard.
    Warning: Some or all of my posted code may be non-standard and as such should not be used and in no case looked at.

  4. #34
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,452
    Well, I just threw that in as a reason for why people might dislike crossposting.
    I tend not to add anything to any discussion myself if I find what I wanted to add has already been said.
    And if we're replying at the same time, and I feel that someone whose reply is worded better, I simply delete my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  5. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,167
    I'm not sure what your question is then, because it's nearly impossible for two random people to use the exact same wording to answer something more than "go google that".
    Seeing another poster's answer will help you word your answer differently, trying to add value to your post. If the first answer was on another forum, you cannot do that.

    So with that line of reasoning cross posting isn't bad at all. Since they may get the same answer 5 times, but worded 5 different ways.
    If they are on different forums, 4 of them will probably be very similar, especially for very simple questions, hence wasting time. If they are on the same forum and 5 people want to reply, they will see previous replies, and try to word their own differently, explaining things in different ways, hence adding value.

    But no, I don't care if someone repeats what I've said or if I've said what they've said. If someone posts at the same time I do, I don't usually go back and delete what I've written (unless I happen to be wrong and they see something I don't and it makes sense to). It's just not that important to me.
    I see what you mean now. You don't really care if your time is wasted, because you are trying to kill time by answering questions anyways. Whether (and how much) your posts add to the discussion is secondary.

    For me, I want my time spent on the forum to add maximum value to discussions happening here, because I put a value on my time. Sure, posting on the forum is fairly low on my priority list, but I could be watching TV or something if I just want to blow the time away. There are other things I could do instead, but I post here because
    1) a lot of times I can learn stuff as well
    2) makes me feel good (helping people in general). I believe this is true for most people, but most people don't want to admit it (I was just reading about this in a psychology book)*

    So I don't want to waste time repeating things other people have said. I only post if I feel I can add to the discussion (by new info, correction, or substantial rewording).

    *Do you enjoy helping people? Is that why you help people? If so, you are in the same category. "enjoy" is another way of saying "feel good"
    Last edited by cyberfish; 09-18-2011 at 05:17 PM.
    MK27 likes this.

  6. #36
    ATH0 quzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    14,826
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberfish View Post
    If, on this forum, someone posts an easy question, and someone replied with an adequate answer. Would you reply again with the exact same answer, adding nothing to the discussion? Why or why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberfish View Post
    Ah, but that IS adding something to the discussion. Rewording an answer does add value to the discussion, because, like you said, it may help people understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberfish View Post
    Seeing another poster's answer will help you word your answer differently, trying to add value to your post. If the first answer was on another forum, you cannot do that.

    If they are on different forums, 4 of them will probably be very similar, especially for very simple questions, hence wasting time. If they are on the same forum and 5 people want to reply, they will see previous replies, and try to word their own differently, explaining things in different ways, hence adding value.
    You are contradicting yourself. You say that multiple answers provide value, and that each answer is different, but then say they're all the same so you can't add value.

    That's why I was asking what your actual question is - you are contradicting yourself or confusing your own question.


    Quzah.
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

  7. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,167
    Quote Originally Posted by quzah View Post
    You are contradicting yourself. You say that multiple answers provide value, and that each answer is different, but then say they're all the same so you can't add value.

    That's why I was asking what your actual question is - you are contradicting yourself or confusing your own question.


    Quzah.
    Ah I see. I was being confusing.

    What I meant is, when multiple posters on multiple forums post answers to the same simple question, not knowing others have already answered, chances are, their replies will be redundant.

    If they saw what other people have already wrote, and decide to improve on it, that is totally different, and will more likely add value.

  8. #38
    ATH0 quzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    14,826
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberfish View Post
    What I meant is, when multiple posters on multiple forums post answers to the same simple question, not knowing others have already answered, chances are, their replies will be redundant.
    Chances are if he receives his answer anywhere he's not going to bother going back to read the others anyway.


    Quzah.
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

  9. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,167
    Chances are if he receives his answer anywhere he's not going to bother going back to read the others anyway.
    That is even worse. Totally wasted time.
    Salem likes this.

  10. #40
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,412
    You are on a argumentative roll quzah. But your "cross-posters are ok" thing that you have going on there, just isn't cutting it for me. I get it you don't care about it. Totally your prerogative, man. But it's an easy spot to be, if anyone that comes across you that doesn't like cross posting has to explain to you why. Not caring should work both ways. Otherwise what you mean to say is that you defend cross-posting.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  11. #41
    ATH0 quzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    14,826
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberfish View Post
    That is even worse. Totally wasted time.
    Sure, but you don't know that most of the time. If your whole reason for posting is getting thanked, you are going to be disappointed most of the time, even if they did only post on one forum.


    Quzah.
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

  12. #42
    ATH0 quzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    14,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    You are on a argumentative roll quzah.
    I enjoy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    But your "cross-posters are ok" thing that you have going on there, just isn't cutting it for me. I get it you don't care about it. Totally your prerogative, man. But it's an easy spot to be, if anyone that comes across you that doesn't like cross posting has to explain to you why. Not caring should work both ways. Otherwise what you mean to say is that you defend cross-posting.
    I'm not sure what you're saying in the middle there. Do I care about people complaining about cross posters? Not really. I just think it's silly to go out of your way to complain about people looking for help.

    We're not talking about people too lazy to search, or too lazy to read the code tags sticky or something. We're strictly talking about people posting on multiple sites.

    For the record, I don't care if it upsets you that people that people post multiple places. You're free to be upset by anything you want to be upset by. Just like I'm free to think it's silly.


    Quzah.
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

  13. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,167
    Sure, but you don't know that most of the time. If your whole reason for posting is getting thanked, you are going to be disappointed most of the time, even if they did only post on one forum.
    We almost never get thanked here. But I still feel good about helping people, knowing I shared some knowledge, and did something more meaningful than wasting time. Once in a while, the discussion would continue, and I would learn something, too.

    I will never reply to a thread knowing it has been posted elsewhere without telling anyone, even if I find the other site, looked at replies there, and have something to add. I find it very rude, and I want to discourage this behaviour, by not helping. If they get what they want, they will do it again. I sometimes point out in the thread that it has been cross-posted, just so other members won't waste their time writing redundant replies, or better yet, so they also won't help and teach the poster a lesson.

  14. #44
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,412
    Quote Originally Posted by quzah View Post
    I enjoy it.
    I sure am glad. Totally my type of thing.

    I'm not sure what you're saying in the middle there. Do I care about people complaining about cross posters? Not really. I just think it's silly to go out of your way to complain about people looking for help.
    Because you don't care. It's circular reasoning, mate. We got it in the first post and you don't need to go off your way explaining why you think it's silly. Or I may start to think... you care

    (gosh, I can't stand these smileys!)
    MK27 likes this.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  15. #45
    ATH0 quzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    14,826
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberfish View Post
    I will never reply to a thread knowing it has been posted elsewhere without telling anyone, even if I find the other site, looked at replies there, and have something to add.
    That's fine. If you know it's already answered, why answer again, as you mentioned earlier?
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberfish View Post
    I find it very rude, and I want to discourage this behaviour, by not helping. If they get what they want, they will do it again. I sometimes point out in the thread that it has been cross-posted, just so other members won't waste their time writing redundant replies, or better yet, so they also won't help and teach the poster a lesson.
    Why should I limit myself to one source of information, when I could try four at the same time? How do I know someone is going to even answer me on one of them? How do I know the popularity of the site? Why should I even care? I don't just look at one web page when I'm trying to figure out something. Why should I restrict myself to just one forum if I'm looking for a speedy answer?

    Look, I'm not trying to convince you to start posting in every thread you see on every forum, because I simply don't care if you reply anywhere or not. Whatever you want to do, do it. It's not going to make me care either way.

    I personally just think it's silly to get all upset about someone posting on another forum. Even if I did read both of them. If I'm reading multiple forums, why should I care if someone asks me a question both places?

    I'm still waiting on a good reason. If your reason is "because it irritates me", then that's a good enough reason for you, but it's not a good enough reason for me, and so I won't care if they post.

    I find whining about people seeking help in multiple places more irritating than them actually looking in multiple places. Why? Probably for the same reason you find their seeking help irritating. It just is.


    Quzah.
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Pet Hates
    By twomers in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-21-2006, 04:08 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-19-2005, 08:31 PM
  3. Work groups of cboard posters?
    By jverkoey in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 05:27 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21