Windows 8 Developer Preview available tonight

This is a discussion on Windows 8 Developer Preview available tonight within the General Discussions forums, part of the Community Boards category; Windows 8 developer preview: when and where to download -- Engadget Just in case all you curious programmers aren't keeping ...

  1. #1
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,066

    Windows 8 Developer Preview available tonight

    Windows 8 developer preview: when and where to download -- Engadget

    Just in case all you curious programmers aren't keeping up, the x86 developer build of Windows 8 is going live tonight at 8PM PT. It's a great opportunity to tinker around with the new OS and get used to developing for the new interface.

    I'm personally pretty excited about this as I'm still convinced that it looks like nothing more than a wrapper around Windows 7 (in appearance, anyway).
    Sent from my iPad®

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    142
    Can someone please summarize the situation with classical Win32/64 API code that is out there and regular C# applications created in the last several years. What is still compatible, what isn't? I hope, all of it should work just fine on W8?!

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    9,547
    Quote Originally Posted by idelovski View Post
    Can someone please summarize the situation with classical Win32/64 API code that is out there and regular C# applications created in the last several years. What is still compatible, what isn't? I hope, all of it should work just fine on W8?!
    Windos API is always complete since, by definition, it is the sum of every public function in Windows.

  4. #4
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,404
    Quote Originally Posted by idelovski View Post
    Can someone please summarize the situation with classical Win32/64 API code that is out there and regular C# applications created in the last several years. What is still compatible, what isn't? I hope, all of it should work just fine on W8?!
    Until Microsoft announces otherwise, Windows 8 will follow the same backwards compatibility rules of Windows Vista. Meanwhile, so far, no changes to the WinAPI have been announced on msdn. I think your only concern should be WinAPI constructs tagged as deprecated in Windows XP and beyond, if you are using them in your PInvokes. Windows 8 -- being a new release -- could have some of them removed. However, you can always run the application in Compatibility Mode, if that's the case.

    As for straight .Net development, there's nothing to worry about. The framework will always abstract the WinAPI and remain backwards compatible with other .net versions within reason. Meanwhile, the point behind the framework is to always make available the runtime of the clr version the application was compiled with. So any compatibility issues that could arise from a .Net 1.1 or 2.0 application won't exist if you install the 1.1 or 2.0 runtime on the customer machine.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,197
    For those who wish to try it but do not have a spare computer or dont want to partition their current setup this might be a good alternative: Windows 7

    This guide is for windows 7 but from what I read on reddit it works with windows 8 aswell.

  6. #6
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,413
    This requires, like, Windows 7 Enterprise or higher, I believe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,197
    The way i understood it is you would perform those steps from the windows 8 installer, but as i said, not sure. I just tested to create a vhd file from diskpart on my own Windows 7 home premium and that was no problem so...

    Edit: Since you also would boot directly from the vhd file i doubt windows 7 enterprise or professional or so is required, since the bootloader would load the file for you.
    Last edited by Shakti; 09-14-2011 at 09:06 AM.

  8. #8
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,404
    I dunno... unless you guys want to prepare ahead your Windows 8 development roadmaps (particularly where it comes to WinRT and Metro development), I don't see the point. I'm not even sure this release already includes the new USB 3.0 driver stack or that you can trust the current implementation of the Hyper-V client to reflect the final build in Windows 8. In my humble opinion you'll be wasting your time gawking at a new interface that will get you bored after 5 minutes.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  9. #9
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakti View Post
    The way i understood it is you would perform those steps from the windows 8 installer, but as i said, not sure. I just tested to create a vhd file from diskpart on my own Windows 7 home premium and that was no problem so...

    Edit: Since you also would boot directly from the vhd file i doubt windows 7 enterprise or professional or so is required, since the bootloader would load the file for you.
    I am pretty sure you need Windows 7 Enterprise to actually boot from the vhd file.
    I could google it quickly.

    EDIT:
    I was right:
    While all Windows 7 editions can create and attach a VHD, only the Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise editions support booting from a VHD.
    Source: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...tart-boot.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,197
    I stand corrected

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. c/c++ Windows Mobile Developer Needed
    By ParaDiddle in forum Projects and Job Recruitment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-02-2007, 07:24 AM
  2. Red Diamond - Little bit of a preview
    By MidnightlyCoder in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-19-2006, 10:00 AM
  3. Print Preview
    By gvector1 in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2003, 10:36 AM
  4. Do you... preview?
    By Cheeze-It in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-09-2001, 04:32 PM
  5. compulsary preview
    By iain in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-14-2001, 06:09 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21