Like Tree9Likes

He's Dead!

This is a discussion on He's Dead! within the General Discussions forums, part of the Community Boards category; Originally Posted by Salem Say "yes" to photoshop Huh, exactly what i've expected: No actual proof about his death!...

  1. #16
    Programming Wraith GReaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    Huh, exactly what i've expected: No actual proof about his death!
    Devoted my life to programming...

  2. #17
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,438
    That's from an old rumour, Sipher.
    You can now rest assured that since it is official, he's dead.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  3. #18
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,609
    Well, considering he's now officially dead, one can expect to see no more of him - regardless of whether or not he really is.

  4. #19
    &TH of undefined behavior Fordy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    5,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarin View Post
    Well, considering he's now officially dead, one can expect to see no more of him - regardless of whether or not he really is.
    Ahhh...so your worried about Zombie Osama as much as I am then? I mean...come on, he was pretty scary when he was alive...

  5. #20
    Banned ಠ_ಠ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    That's from an old rumour, Sipher.
    You can now rest assured that since it is official, he's dead.
    unless it's just a ploy to win support for the next election
    ╔╗╔══╦╗
    ║║║╔╗║║
    ║╚╣╚╝║╚╗
    ╚═╩══╩═╝

  6. #21
    spurious conceit MK27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    segmentation fault
    Posts
    8,300
    Quote Originally Posted by ಠ_ಠ View Post
    unless it's just a ploy to win support for the next election
    Bin Laden will wait until next summer, then appear on YouTube endorsing Sarah Palin from his secret cave in Alaska.
    ಠ_ಠ likes this.
    C programming resources:
    GNU C Function and Macro Index -- glibc reference manual
    The C Book -- nice online learner guide
    Current ISO draft standard
    CCAN -- new CPAN like open source library repository
    3 (different) GNU debugger tutorials: #1 -- #2 -- #3
    cpwiki -- our wiki on sourceforge

  7. #22
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarin View Post
    Well, considering he's now officially dead, one can expect to see no more of him - regardless of whether or not he really is.
    Why would you want to see his dead body? Isn't it enough that the celebrations in New York made the whole country look exactly like some fundamentalist arab country celebrating the destruction of their satanic enemy? Complete with pictures burning, raised fists, children holding posters and Obama shouting "God Bless America"? Why add a morbid desire for pictures of dead enemies, when most of us couldn't ever tell if the corpse we are seeing is the person we are being told? I had enough of that idiocy with Saddam Hussein.

    I'm just glad this arsehole is gone. But definitely not thrilled about the idea of seeing his dead body. I could already barely stand him alive.
    MK27 likes this.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  8. #23
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    Why would you want to see his dead body? Isn't it enough that the celebrations in New York made the whole country look exactly like some fundamentalist arab country celebrating the destruction of their satanic enemy? Complete with pictures burning, raised fists, children holding posters and Obama shouting "God Bless America"? Why add a morbid desire for pictures of dead enemies, when most of us couldn't ever tell if the corpse we are seeing is the person we are being told? I had enough of that idiocy with Saddam Hussein.

    I'm just glad this arsehole is gone. But definitely not thrilled about the idea of seeing his dead body. I could already barely stand him alive.
    I would hardly call those celebratory acts barbaric if even distasteful considering the circumstances when we do it or when "some fundamentalist arab country" does it. We're talking about a man that directly affected the livelyhood of those celebrating in New York. The same goes for the people who protest and celebrate in the Middle East...

    No no... when I think barbaric, I think of the President of Iran holding an event in which he throws a stone at Israel. I think about the national sport of Afganistan being a full-contact horse riding sport in which the knock around and score points with the carcass of a goat instead of, you know, a ball or something.

    There are plenty of arguments as to why the middle east could be somewhat barbaric compared to the western world, but I never really found any of the nonsense you see the common people do in protests and celebrations to be overly barbaric simply because of the fact that I understood that we and any "civilized" nation would do the same thing in those circumstances.

    Anyway, what i do agree with in your remarks is that I have no interest in seeing the body of Osama simply because, as you said, I'd really have no way of knowing if it really was him or just some guy that I believe looks like him. If the scientists want to tell me that they saw him and proved it was him prior to the burial then that's as much as I need to see or hear.
    GReaper likes this.
    Sent from my iPad®

  9. #24
    Banned ಠ_ಠ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    Why would you want to see his dead body?
    Don't ask, don't tell
    ╔╗╔══╦╗
    ║║║╔╗║║
    ║╚╣╚╝║╚╗
    ╚═╩══╩═╝

  10. #25
    spurious conceit MK27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    segmentation fault
    Posts
    8,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    Isn't it enough that the celebrations in New York made the whole country look exactly like some fundamentalist arab country celebrating the destruction of their satanic enemy? Complete with pictures burning, raised fists, children holding posters and Obama shouting "God Bless America"?
    I don't know enough about Islam to say whether celebrating someone's death would be considered sacrilegious, but I am pretty certain it is WRT to Christianity.

    I would bet any amount of money the majority of Americans who condemn any form of abortion because it is wrong to take human life for any reason also joyously condone the killing of Osama Bin Laden. I'm not a Christian, so I have no qualms about condoning it, but stuff like this is a terrific demonstration of what really motivates the religious right wing (west or east).

    I can't condemn the celebration because, while I think we should be above that as a people, I'll admit there are a few evil mfs around whose death I would throw a party for. Certain people are better off dead, and in some cases it would make me happy to see it.

    But I think the partying and media frenzy about "death pics" will only further the (more or less accurate) impression many people in the third world have about Westerners (and Americans in particular) being decadent hypocrits. When it serves their interests, they are all about God and morality. When it doesn't, who cares?
    Last edited by MK27; 05-04-2011 at 11:41 AM.
    C programming resources:
    GNU C Function and Macro Index -- glibc reference manual
    The C Book -- nice online learner guide
    Current ISO draft standard
    CCAN -- new CPAN like open source library repository
    3 (different) GNU debugger tutorials: #1 -- #2 -- #3
    cpwiki -- our wiki on sourceforge

  11. #26
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,438
    I wasn't thinking about national sports or other cultural events when I was seeing those images in New York. Although, if you insist, we could. Personally the image of the carcass of a goat being dragged across the floor, isn't any more questionable than bullfighting in Portugal and Spain, or the UFL in USA. It depends on who's watching. Culture and history play a large role in how we witness domestic and foreign displays of violence and aggression and what we tag as "barbaric".

    Instead, what I was witnessing a clear parallel between manifestations in Middle-East and central New York. I can understand this may sting a bit the national sensitivities. But truth is, stupidity is universal. And mobs are particularly stupid. Before you know it, we are behaving like chimps performing the exact same sad display we get to see done by our "enemies" and that just a few minutes ago we were using as a way to measure our civilizational superiority. I wasn't particularly happy either by seeing the president of the USA using the name of God. Another parallel that really could be avoided. Particularly knowing how sensitive the religious aspect is to this war, considering the fact USA is fighting religious fundamentalists fighting in the name of God. I understand "God Bless America" is the national meme, but finishing off a victory speech with a provocation could/should be avoided. If for no other reason, because God has nothing to do with this. That's, I heard, the thing that most annoys people about fundamentalist Islam (the use of God as a justification and a tool). Also, always found it particularly offensive to any Christian relating God with the murder of people. But I guess it isn't.

    Anyways, this is just the ramblings of someone that felt kinda embarassed by the manifestations on New York and didn't thought for one moment they represented the actual spirit of most Americans (including New Yorkers). But I agree that couldn't be avoided giving the relationship of the city with this man. Just don't think anyone looked good in the picture.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  12. #27
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by MK27 View Post
    I would bet any amount of money the majority of Americans who condemn any form of abortion because it is wrong to take human life for any reason also joyously condone the killing of Osama Bin Laden. I'm not a Christian, so I have no qualms about condoning it, but stuff like this is a terrific demonstration of what really motivates the religious right wing (west or east).
    That's a very audacious statement, and would be a sorry waste of your money.
    AFAIK, the majority of people who condemn abortion, do not think it's wrong to take human life for "any reason"[sic], including the few who condemn abortion under all circumstances.
    And the very few (emphasis), who do believe it's wrong to take a life under any circumstance, don't "joyously" condone the killing of Laden. Could be wrong here, I haven't met or so much as heard of anyone that fits this description, but then again, I'm going to guess you haven't either.

  13. #28
    spurious conceit MK27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    segmentation fault
    Posts
    8,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarin View Post
    AFAIK, the majority of people who condemn abortion, do not think it's wrong to take human life for "any reason"[sic], including the few who condemn abortion under all circumstances.
    Yes, the reason they condemn abortion is because they consider themselves pariahs whom God has chosen to rule over everyone else, and they are just exercising that right.

    I would win the bet, even if it is embarrassing to the hypocrits and pariahs I'm referring to. I have evangelical friends, certainly their very clear position is that abortion is wrong because murder is wrong, and a quick google "Why is abortion wrong?" confirms this:

    Why is abortion wrong? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

    To be fair, this does also say, "We are allowed to take life under the prescribed requirements of law, such as self defense, war, execution, etc." but this is a thinly disguised piece of circular reasoning IMO.

    Sorry, I find religion deplorable...can't get over it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yarin View Post
    Could be wrong here, I haven't met or so much as heard of anyone that fits this description, but then again, I'm going to guess you haven't either.
    I don't think I have to look any further than the US Senate and House of Representatives to find plenty of examples of this; whether I have met them or not, they are very clear and outspoken about their absurd and reprehensible philosophies.
    Last edited by MK27; 05-04-2011 at 12:42 PM.
    C programming resources:
    GNU C Function and Macro Index -- glibc reference manual
    The C Book -- nice online learner guide
    Current ISO draft standard
    CCAN -- new CPAN like open source library repository
    3 (different) GNU debugger tutorials: #1 -- #2 -- #3
    cpwiki -- our wiki on sourceforge

  14. #29
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by MK27 View Post
    Yes, the reason they condemn abortion is because they consider themselves pariahs whom God has chosen to rule over everyone else, and they are just exercising that right.
    I'm not sure what you mean. Are you actually saying that anti-abortionists are people who try to control everyone else as per God's will?
    Quote Originally Posted by MK27 View Post
    I would win the bet, even if it is embarrassing to the hypocrits and pariahs I'm referring to. I have evangelical friends, certainly their very clear position is that abortion is wrong because murder is wrong, and a quick google "Why is abortion wrong?" confirms this:

    Why is abortion wrong? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry
    Yes, most everyone will readily agree with the strong difference between murder and "justified killing". Which is why it's wrong to say one is being hypocritical when they have a problem with murder, but not a problem with execution/self-defense. Think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MK27 View Post
    To be fair, this does also say, "We are allowed to take life under the prescribed requirements of law, such as self defense, war, execution, etc." but this is a thinly disguised piece of circular reasoning IMO.
    I guess that would depend. I find points of view on this vary from person to person regardless of religion.
    Quote Originally Posted by MK27 View Post
    Sorry, I find religion deplorable...can't get over it.
    Yeah, religion is like that - whether theistic or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by MK27 View Post
    I don't think I have to look any further than the US Senate and House of Representatives to find plenty of examples of this; whether I have met them or not, they are very clear and outspoken about their absurd and reprehensible philosophies.
    Again, I'm not sure there are any politicians who claim/have claimed that killing is wrong in all circumstances.

  15. #30
    Banned ಠ_ಠ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    687
    ╔╗╔══╦╗
    ║║║╔╗║║
    ║╚╣╚╝║╚╗
    ╚═╩══╩═╝

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. I am so dead , help please :(
    By Masterx in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-09-2010, 12:13 PM
  2. I'm dead serious
    By sean in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-21-2008, 12:46 PM
  3. Ok so MFC isn't dead.
    By VirtualAce in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-07-2008, 07:39 PM
  4. HDD Dead I think!
    By gsoft in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 06:16 AM
  5. DOS is dead??
    By Waldo2k2 in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-29-2003, 05:59 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21