Like Tree21Likes

Cboard meta-post with uninformative subject line

This is a discussion on Cboard meta-post with uninformative subject line within the General Discussions forums, part of the Community Boards category; Assertion that I'm not looking for help with my homework. Problem description which seems to strongly imply that I'm doing ...

  1. #1
    Captain Crash brewbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    7,235

    Cboard meta-post with uninformative subject line

    Assertion that I'm not looking for help with my homework.

    Problem description which seems to strongly imply that I'm doing homework.

    Code:
    snippet of random code I could have pulled from anywhere
    Insistence that the above code is my code.

    Statement indicating complete lack of understanding of the above code despite my insistence that I am the author.

    Reference to a compiler error on line 17, when I have not labeled my code with line numbers.

    Vague question involving aardvarks.

    Reiteration that this thing which isn't an assignment is "due" in three hours.

    Offering of thanks in advance, ensuring I will not need to follow up with a targetted thank you at a later date.
    Code:
    //try
    //{
    	if (a) do { f( b); } while(1);
    	else   do { f(!b); } while(1);
    //}

  2. #2
    'Allo, 'Allo, Allo
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    611
    Standard follow up enquiring about compiler/os/library/colour of your shoes

    Optional lambasting of usage of 20 year old compiler

    75% chance of being told nobody'll do your homework with 25% chance somebody'll dump it (falling to 50/50% for certain posters)

    Quote chapter and verse from the relevant standard that proves your compiler is a P.O.S/your lecturer gave you an impossible task/I don't know what point I'm making, but that quoting the standard will make it seem like I know what i'm on about

    And maybe one of the following:
    Code:
    Elysia special:
    If you're not using the tool I currently have a boner for, you're wrong
    
    CommonTater special:
    Use Pelles C / I'm old you know
    
    Me special:
    Borderline spam or tangential link to something I've written or done
    
    Salem special:
    Stop bumping 8 year old threads, *thread closed*
    
    VirtualAce special:
    Stop bumping 8 minute old threads, *thread closed*
    
    Phantamotap special:
    O_o
    OOC: EvoEx this is the game you should've created
    Last edited by adeyblue; 04-18-2011 at 06:27 PM.
    webmaster, Yarin, MK27 and 5 others like this.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    9,547
    Rolling on floor laughing ... well done guys!
    Well except that I don't FEEL old...
    ಠ_ಠ likes this.

  4. #4
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,406
    And then along comes Adak...
    Salem and ಠ_ಠ like this.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  5. #5
    Banned ಠ_ಠ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    687
    Three page story about how aardvarks killed my family and burnt down my house.

    Obligatory liking of every post in thread
    Last edited by ಠ_ಠ; 04-18-2011 at 11:45 PM.
    MK27 likes this.
    ╔╗╔══╦╗
    ║║║╔╗║║
    ║╚╣╚╝║╚╗
    ╚═╩══╩═╝

  6. #6
    Captain Crash brewbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    7,235
    Complaint that ಠ_ಠ is hijacking my thread.

    Overly defensive response to imagined accusations.

    Unprovoked insults directed at a moderator.

    Rage filled paragraph which sets off the .....ing swear detector several .....ing times in one .....ing sentence. Accusations of egotism, elitism, and fascism.

    Desperate plea for same moderator I just insulted to delete this thread before my instructor finds it.
    Code:
    //try
    //{
    	if (a) do { f( b); } while(1);
    	else   do { f(!b); } while(1);
    //}

  7. #7
    Registered User jdragyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    92
    Oblivious attempt to help the OP, with fundamentally flawed suggestion on how to fix the posted code.

    Code:
    fundamentally (and syntactically) flawed suggestion in code that
     - has very little to do with the problem I am trying to help fix
     - shows off how clever I am (not)
    Critique of adeyblue's lack of help

    Agreement with brewbuck's elitist sentiments, specifically regarding an ancient compiler that must be solid since it's been around for so long now.
    C+/- programmer extraordinaire

  8. #8
    Registered User kryptkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    638
    lettuce snot furgate tea overpopulated "google is your fiend" width ann stink witch rakes ewe two write tow tea lurch angina flat slumtimes doze tea lurch four ewe. buzz aye rice click dough farst slime eww sawed eight. mutt snot tea nine hound red thousandth dime. rafter slurching band grating 900 treesults oneway rand 915 dough utter. stringing ewe write black shear two mask tea requester agane. ewe nose dit bee aye snatch 22. mean bit crated buy mails. divide guy ah la buffy style <upcrotch> width seigth into. thrust equail 11. sand guys hasth eleven digits thrust spoof zit beighnine problime treated buy guys. else eat bee aye snatch 20. maiyia leggzur crust annahiem whizzing thud resourt "google is your fiend" kozz eye haz snow answer four ewe.

    wood ewe relieve ?

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    9,547
    common response to all errors... Doooh!

  10. #10
    Registered User whiteflags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,627
    A voice of reason descends upon lost lambs and there is a lot of mandatory ego stroking and bluffing.

    Derailment.
    CommonTater likes this.

  11. #11
    and the hat of wrongness Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The edge of the known universe
    Posts
    32,434
    Gimme a C
    Gimme a l
    Gimme a o
    Gimme a s
    Gimme a e
    Gimme a d
    At some point, the mods are petitioned to close the thread, or ban someone.
    Possibly both at the same time, possibly even for the same person.
    If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.
    If at first you don't succeed, try writing your phone number on the exam paper.
    I support http://www.ukip.org/ as the first necessary step to a free Europe.

  12. #12
    and the hat of wrongness Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The edge of the known universe
    Posts
    32,434
    bump - plz, ths iz urgent
    My deadline is in <single-digit> <minutes or hours>
    If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.
    If at first you don't succeed, try writing your phone number on the exam paper.
    I support http://www.ukip.org/ as the first necessary step to a free Europe.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    9,547
    Need help right now!


    Version 1.0:
    I didn't learn this in class because my teacher has a horrible accent and now it's your job to teach me because I spent the entire semester being too freaking lazy to read a textbook.

    Version 2.7
    We didn't cover this in class and I'm too lazy to look it up, can you do it for me?

    Version 3.8
    What do you mean "Google is my friend"... Just give me the #$@$#%%^ code already!

    Version 14.2 (5 years later)
    We didn't learn this in school, can you look it up for me....
    Last edited by CommonTater; 04-30-2011 at 02:17 PM.

  14. #14
    and the hat of wrongness Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The edge of the known universe
    Posts
    32,434
    After much prodding, there is a new version of the code where the indent style is almost certain to be either "none" or "chaotic", and a number of key points which were said to be fixed haven't been fixed at all.
    CommonTater likes this.
    If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.
    If at first you don't succeed, try writing your phone number on the exam paper.
    I support http://www.ukip.org/ as the first necessary step to a free Europe.

  15. #15
    and the hat of wrongness Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The edge of the known universe
    Posts
    32,434
    As if to reinforce the original post...
    I found this code
    I need it now!
    If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.
    If at first you don't succeed, try writing your phone number on the exam paper.
    I support http://www.ukip.org/ as the first necessary step to a free Europe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Meta Key
    By MTK in forum C Programming
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-22-2009, 07:01 PM
  2. meta data and attribute
    By George2 in forum C# Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-13-2008, 01:26 AM
  3. meta data for assembly
    By George2 in forum C# Programming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-09-2008, 03:50 AM
  4. About meta file
    By SuperNewbie in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 10:12 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21