Does your wife say she said things that you're sure she didn't say?

This is a discussion on Does your wife say she said things that you're sure she didn't say? within the General Discussions forums, part of the Community Boards category; Happen's ALL the flippn' time to me. Is it just me, or is this something that happens to all guys? ...

  1. #1
    Set Apart -- jrahhali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    256

    Does your wife say she said things that you're sure she didn't say?

    Happen's ALL the flippn' time to me. Is it just me, or is this something that happens to all guys?

    It makes me feel stupid, because she is SURE she said it. Happened two times in the past 3 hours

    1. She calls on her cell phone, talking a million miles per hour about how she's at a sports complex and needs me to pick her up. When I finally get a word in edge wise, I ask her if she needs me to come now, or later, to which she responds "I just told you: As soon as possible!"

    2. We get home, and she says that she'll cook dinner while I take a shower. Sounds good to me. "Do you care what I make?", she said. "No" I responded. Had a nice, hot shower. I come out and ask what she made. She looks at me odd, and asks me to think. OK...I"m thinking she wants me to guess, so I shoot off a few meals I know we have in the fridge. After a couple wrong attempts, she says, "I already told you before you went in the shower: Noodles and chicken and cheese."

    "No, honey, ....I didn't hear you say that..."

    Am I alone here?
    Clear the mines from our Shazbot!
    Get the enemy Shazbot!

  2. #2
    Gawking at stupidity
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    3,163
    Maybe. My wife and I are not that condescending to each other.
    If you understand what you're doing, you're not learning anything.

  3. #3
    Set Apart -- jrahhali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    256
    Oh, we're not condescending. I'm just saying it makes me feel like I have something wrong with my brain!
    Clear the mines from our Shazbot!
    Get the enemy Shazbot!

  4. #4
    Registered User C_ntua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,853
    Oh, so a woman drives you crazy. How surprising

  5. #5
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,605
    Hmm, I wouldn't know.
    But I can't help and think that your misusing 'Shazbot'.

  6. #6
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarin View Post
    Hmm, I wouldn't know.
    But I can't help and think that your misusing 'Shazbot'.
    I believe he's quoting some mangled, pre-defined phrases that one was able to make in the game Tribes.
    Sent from my iPadŽ

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    8,868
    Wasn't "Shazbot" from Robin Williams character on "Mork and Mindy"?

  8. #8
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    Wasn't "Shazbot" from Robin Williams character on "Mork and Mindy"?
    Yes... and it's been used in a handful of different things since then as an homage. Now, I'm pretty sure the lines in the OP's signature are not lines from Mork & Mindy... they do look, however, like something one might say in a FPS like Tribes. Also, in Tribes, when you started a predefined sound macro and another before the first one finished, it would get interrupted. So, for instance, if I were to use the sound bite macro "Get the enemy flag!" and interrupt it with "Shazbot!", I could say "Get the enemy Shazbot!" Something pretty common in that game.
    Sent from my iPadŽ

  9. #9
    Epy
    Epy is offline
    Fortran lover Epy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    951
    Women are programmed to lie. Some women, like my wife, have bad memory and just make stuff up and go with it as to not be embarrassed about forgetting something.

  10. #10
    Set Apart -- jrahhali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyMaelstrom View Post
    So, for instance, if I were to use the sound bite macro "Get the enemy flag!" and interrupt it with "Shazbot!", I could say "Get the enemy Shazbot!" Something pretty common in that game.
    You're exactly correct. I believe I was addicted to that game growing up. I stay away from games, especially FPS nowadays though, out of choice - It's way too easy for me to spend hours on end playing. edit: Plus, only being married for 3 1/2 months, other things take up a lot of my spare time now .

    My wife is really great for me though. Even though I've had to give up a lot of my schedule and desires for her, and accommodate another human being into my life (and vice versa), the gains have been far greater than the sacrifices.
    Last edited by jrahhali; 04-08-2011 at 04:39 PM.
    Clear the mines from our Shazbot!
    Get the enemy Shazbot!

  11. #11
    Super Moderator VirtualAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    9,596
    I have this happen quite a bit but I usually ignore it because it isn't worth the trouble just to prove you were right when you said she said thus and so. Even if you are 'right' the process of proving it to her will most assuredly make you wrong. Just accept it like every other guy on the planet that regardless of what you do or don't do you are wrong. The key to a happy marriage is when a guy realizes he is always wrong and just goes with whatever the wife says. So you learn new ways to prove points without her knowing you are proving a point. If none of that works and we are about to argue I just start talking about my fav sports team or NASCAR driver which makes it a pretty brief argument.

  12. #12
    Set Apart -- jrahhali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by VirtualAce View Post
    Just accept it like every other guy on the planet that regardless of what you do or don't do you are wrong.
    Many married men gave me this advice before I took the plunge. It's a hard truth to swallow, tbh, but I remember one guys (a mechanic) was totally conviced that this was the way to go! I have yet to completely make up my mind on this, but I think there is some truth in it. I do believe that laying down your pride of being right is definitely helpful in a marriage, or in any relationship for that matter.

    Quote Originally Posted by VirtualAce View Post
    If none of that works and we are about to argue I just start talking about my fav sports team or NASCAR driver which makes it a pretty brief argument.
    great! haha.
    Clear the mines from our Shazbot!
    Get the enemy Shazbot!

  13. #13
    Registered User C_ntua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,853
    Reading again your phrases, I would say that there is nothing really you should worry about.
    Women are emotional, men are logical (wouldn't bet money on it but that is another story...).
    You might care about what exactly was said, she might not really value it that much. The fact that its driving you crazy is not something she realizes.
    Her "attitude" might come from her agitation of you not understanding what she wants. The fact that you couldn't possibly know what she wants is not the priority for her. The fact that you ask her just irritates her more. She just wants you to understand her wants.

    Think that emotions are not that clear as logic is. She might be indecisive and the "Do you care what I make?" might imply that she is thinking about it hard trying to get an input from you. She might then give it some thought and finally conclude that chicken, noodles and cheese is an excellent choice. Note that she is very relieved. What to make was actually irritating her. At that point you go into the shower, thinking that you will come out, eat your dinner and keep your sanity. No sir. When poor you comes out and asks, she is pretty sure that her choice was known to you. How can such a big event of her finally deciding what to make not be known to everybody? Including you? So of course you know! Which is really close with "I told you". Close is good enough for her. So from her side there is no error. If you insist on the "truth" then she simply doesn't remember anymore what she said and what she didn't say. She didn't care that much (unlike you) on the first place to remember. From a psychological point of view, this makes sense.

    I have two advices:
    1) Women don't like questions.
    2) Don't take a womans words too literal.

    Note that I am just giving examples, just assuming things, in order to express my thoughts. I can be completely wrong about the situation, which is likely

  14. #14
    Registered User LunaLux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Malaysia for the time being.
    Posts
    13
    *2 weeks later*

    After reading this thread I begin to wonder how many females peruse this forum. =P

    As for your predicament, to be honest, you remind me of my brother.. Except in his case he also says 'Ok' - he heard us but he didn't actually LISTEN to what was said XD 30 minutes later: 'What? I didn't hear you!'

    Way to go for something to register.

  15. #15
    Super Moderator VirtualAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    9,596
    *2 weeks later*
    Which means if you had read the forum guidelines prior to posting you would realize we consider a thread that is 2 weeks old or older a dead thread.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Assistance with unknown errors?
    By westside222 in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-13-2009, 08:00 PM
  2. Suggestions for things to study
    By Mastadex in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-18-2008, 09:23 AM
  3. Trouble using Wife 1.0
    By bookworm in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-11-2003, 10:41 AM
  4. Funny things happening outside of function
    By drb2k2 in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-08-2003, 02:26 PM
  5. Help with these three things...
    By face_master in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-26-2001, 07:05 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21