Is there a way to install Mac OS on a PC?

This is a discussion on Is there a way to install Mac OS on a PC? within the General Discussions forums, part of the Community Boards category; I've been kinda intrigued by the whole iPhone app development and I would like to try to mess with it ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    55

    Is there a way to install Mac OS on a PC?

    I've been kinda intrigued by the whole iPhone app development and I would like to try to mess with it but unfortunately dont have a mac and can't afford one either at this time. Is there any way to install Mac OS on a PC?

  2. #2
    Jack of many languages Dino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    2,309
    Search on hackintosh.
    Mac and Windows cross platform programmer. Ruby lover.

    Quote of the Day
    12/20: Mario F.:I never was, am not, and never will be, one to shut up in the face of something I think is fundamentally wrong.

    Amen brother!

  3. #3
    Woof, woof! zacs7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,459
    You'd be better off running it in a virtual machine.

  4. #4
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,435
    No virtual machine I know can run MacOS from a windows host.

    Instead our friend should have googled: How To Develop iPhone Apps on Windows
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  5. #5
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    No virtual machine I know can run MacOS from a windows host.

    Instead our friend should have googled: How To Develop iPhone Apps on Windows
    Also google-able. There is a third-party bootloader that allows me to run a legal copy of Snow Leopard on a VirtualBox VM (albeit with mono sound. ).

    But *shhhhhhhh*!!!!! I don't want Steve Jobs to know I'm not paying for his marked up hardware.
    Last edited by SlyMaelstrom; 01-18-2011 at 08:37 AM.
    Sent from my iPad®

  6. #6
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,435
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyMaelstrom View Post
    But *shhhhhhhh*!!!!! I don't want Steve Jobs to know I'm not paying for his marked up hardware.
    Yeah. That's more or less the point. Hackintoshes are becoming somewhat common, but they are a breach of the EULA, and I suspect also a breach of the DMCA protection. So, discussing in any more detail that approach over here should probably be avoided.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  7. #7
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    Yeah. That's more or less the point. Hackintoshes are becoming somewhat common, but they are a breach of the EULA, and I suspect also a breach of the DMCA protection. So, discussing in any more detail that approach over here should probably be avoided.
    Well if that's the point, then to my understanding any attempt to develop iOS applications outside of OSX is also against their EULA. In fact, one of the suggestions (in fact, dubbed "one of the most effective") in the link you provided is to build a "hackintosh" computer. ... and that's with unlicensed software. I leave it to the moderators to decide what can and can't be discussed.
    Sent from my iPad®

  8. #8
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,435
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyMaelstrom View Post
    Well if that's the point, then to my understanding any attempt to develop iOS applications outside of OSX is also against their EULA.
    It is. Not for any other reason other than the fact the EULA stipulates any application must be developed in a Macintosh computer. Insane... but that's what it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by SlyMaelstrom View Post
    In fact, one of the suggestions (in fact, dubbed "one of the most effective") in the link you provided is to build a "hackintosh" computer.
    And? I think I made the point the idea is to not dwell too much into it because of the legal issues. Not that the OP shouldn't get an answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by SlyMaelstrom View Post
    I leave it to the moderators to decide what can and can't be discussed.
    Not before someone points out the legal issues.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  9. #9
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,069
    Alright, fine. I get your point. I just don't think that my explicitly pointing out what was implied in every post prior to it creates a bigger issue for anyone. We're all big boys and girls here and can all draw conclusions about the morality of our suggestions. There's no need to bicker about it so let's not give moderators a totally different reason to close the thread.
    Sent from my iPad®

  10. #10
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,435
    Oh! I see the confusion now. That wasn't my intention. I was following on your post when I wrote that. Wasn't arguing with you. Quite on the contrary; You were calling the attention to the illegal aspect of this and I was trying to make that clearer.
    Last edited by Mario F.; 01-18-2011 at 01:34 PM.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  11. #11
    Devil's Advocate SlyMaelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of scope
    Posts
    4,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    Oh! I see the confusion now. That wasn't my intention. I was following on your post when I wrote that. Wasn't arguing with you. Quite on the contrary; You were calling the attention to the illegal aspect of this and I was trying to make that clearer.
    Well, on the subject of it. I hardly find it illegal.

    I mean, yes, it's against the law, but that to me is an insult. I'm not one of those people that believe all software should be open source and should freely be modified and redistributed by the community with no true benefit to the original creator. I do however feel that any software capable of running on a hardware platform with no modification to the software should legally be allowed to run on that hardware and I believe that any piece of hardware should be legally able to run any software capable of running on it (PS3 I'm looking at you).

    Don't try to sell software on a disk and tell me that I'm only allowed to run it on your hardware when I'm fully capable of running it on my own and don't charge me for a piece of hardware that is more than capable of what you're running on it and tell me I'm not allowed to use it to its full capabilities...

    ... but all of this is way off topic, I suppose, and I'll save it for another discussion.
    Sent from my iPad®

  12. #12
    Guest Sebastiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Waterloo, Texas
    Posts
    5,699
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyMaelstrom View Post
    Well, on the subject of it. I hardly find it illegal.

    I mean, yes, it's against the law, but that to me is an insult. I'm not one of those people that believe all software should be open source and should freely be modified and redistributed by the community with no true benefit to the original creator. I do however feel that any software capable of running on a hardware platform with no modification to the software should legally be allowed to run on that hardware and I believe that any piece of hardware should be legally able to run any software capable of running on it (PS3 I'm looking at you).

    Don't try to sell software on a disk and tell me that I'm only allowed to run it on your hardware when I'm fully capable of running it on my own and don't charge me for a piece of hardware that is more than capable of what you're running on it and tell me I'm not allowed to use it to its full capabilities...

    ... but all of this is way off topic, I suppose, and I'll save it for another discussion.
    Amen to that!
    Code:
    bool fun(bool value)
    {
        return std::pow(std::exp(1), std::complex<float>(0, 1) 
        * std::complex<float>(std::atan(1)*(1 << (value + 2))))
        .real() > 0;
    }

  13. #13
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,435
    >> I mean, yes, it's against the law, but that to me is an insult.

    On that we agree entirely. Apple alone deserves a case study on sociology. It's quite amazing that so many people, so vocal on FOSS issues or so adamant about their civil rights and so clustered around issues as unfair copyright laws, choose to purchase from one of the least open companies in the market.

    It's really a case of not putting one's wallet where their mouth is. There's a level of hypocrisy here -- or perhaps more adequately, consumer greed. Reminds me how Finding Nemo triggered an unprecedented worldwide search for pet tropical fishes. There's a large void between what we yell at the top of our lungs and what we actually do about it.

    I digress...
    Apple success in the mobile platform may eventually force them into opening up some of their most restrictive practices. It's not much different from early Microsoft practices who, by virtue of their success, eventually saw themselves against the wall over monopoly concerns. If Apple mobile sector eventually ends up dominating the market, sooner or later they will be forced into submission by pro-competitive laws. If they don't end up dominating the market, then it won't matter.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. C++ program to play sound on Mac OS X
    By amelia25 in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 10:53 AM
  2. Mac OS question
    By Stonehambey in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-29-2008, 04:06 AM
  3. complying mysql in mac os
    By cnu_sree in forum C Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-15-2007, 03:15 AM
  4. Post you pc pics (mods)
    By biosninja in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 03:15 PM
  5. compiled under windows, work for mac os?
    By Shadow12345 in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-09-2002, 09:55 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21