Free file host?

This is a discussion on Free file host? within the General Discussions forums, part of the Community Boards category; Anyone got any recommendations on a good free file host to upload a couple of files to? I normally use ...

  1. #1
    Programming Ninja In-T...
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    827

    Question Free file host?

    Anyone got any recommendations on a good free file host to upload a couple of files to?
    I normally use Mediafire, but for some reason their uploader is not uploading a 9.something MB .zip file, even though they claim that you can upload up to 200 MB files at a time for free.
    I'm an alien from another world. Planet Earth is only my vacation home, and I'm not liking it.

  2. #2
    ... kermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,528
    Did you look at Dropbox?

    I will admit though, it is kind of addictive.

  3. #3
    Programming Ninja In-T...
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by kermit View Post
    Did you look at Dropbox?

    I will admit though, it is kind of addictive.
    The free version only allows up to 2 GBs for your entire Dropbox...
    I'm an alien from another world. Planet Earth is only my vacation home, and I'm not liking it.

  4. #4
    Programming Ninja In-T...
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    827
    And why did it screw up my Ubuntu desktop and make all the icons on it disappear..?? :wtf:
    I'm an alien from another world. Planet Earth is only my vacation home, and I'm not liking it.

  5. #5
    Programming Ninja In-T...
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    827
    Ok, DropBox definitely sucks...
    I need something that will let me share files with others via a download link.
    Requiring someone to install Dropbox on their own computer to get access to a file you're sharing seems kind of lame to me.
    I'm an alien from another world. Planet Earth is only my vacation home, and I'm not liking it.

  6. #6
    &TH of undefined behavior Fordy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    5,789
    Its still only 2 Gig, but if you run Ubuntu, try https://one.ubuntu.com/plans/

  7. #7
    Programming Ninja In-T...
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
    Its still only 2 Gig, but if you run Ubuntu, try https://one.ubuntu.com/plans/
    Thanks, but I prefer something similiar to Mediafire, where you don't have to sign up to upload a file, and you can upload as a guest.
    I'm trying filefactory.com right now, but it looks like their uploader doesn't want to upload the file either, even though it says it can be up to 1 GB.
    I'm an alien from another world. Planet Earth is only my vacation home, and I'm not liking it.

  8. #8
    ... kermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Programmer_P View Post
    Ok, DropBox definitely sucks...
    I need something that will let me share files with others via a download link.
    Requiring someone to install Dropbox on their own computer to get access to a file you're sharing seems kind of lame to me.
    Stop your whining. You asked for a free file host, I suggested one - a decent one. If you want to do more than two gigs, pay for it. If you want to share stuff with friends, you can do that too (without them having to sign up) - RTFM! (Reading the manual goes for the install as well - I never had the trouble that you described, and I have it installed in 3 locations currently, but have installed more times than that total).

  9. #9
    spurious conceit MK27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    segmentation fault
    Posts
    8,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Programmer_P View Post
    Thanks, but I prefer something similiar to Mediafire, where you don't have to sign up to upload a file, and you can upload as a guest.
    I'm trying filefactory.com right now, but it looks like their uploader doesn't want to upload the file either, even though it says it can be up to 1 GB.
    Things that look too good to be true often are.
    C programming resources:
    GNU C Function and Macro Index -- glibc reference manual
    The C Book -- nice online learner guide
    Current ISO draft standard
    CCAN -- new CPAN like open source library repository
    3 (different) GNU debugger tutorials: #1 -- #2 -- #3
    cpwiki -- our wiki on sourceforge

  10. #10
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,604
    Dropbox definitely doesn't suck. It's an incredibly useful tool for having files synced between your computers. Besides, shared folders do not require Dropbox to access. They can be accessed via normal HTTP.
    This may not be exactly what you want, though. How about finding some free online storage? Lots of those on google.
    For easy upload of single files, there is always filebeam. And then there's Sprend (haven't tried it, though).
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  11. #11
    Programming Ninja In-T...
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by kermit View Post
    Stop your whining. You asked for a free file host, I suggested one - a decent one. If you want to do more than two gigs, pay for it. If you want to share stuff with friends, you can do that too (without them having to sign up) - RTFM! (Reading the manual goes for the install as well - I never had the trouble that you described, and I have it installed in 3 locations currently, but have installed more times than that total).
    Whatever. No one's whining. I downloaded the Ubuntu .deb version of DropBox from their website, double-clicked it to open the Package Installer, then pushed a button to install it, and it completed successfully, so I know I did that right. I don't have to read the ........ing manual to install a .deb on Ubuntu.
    And regardless, it did ........ up my Ubuntu desktop for a minute or two, but now the icons are back, so that problem appears to be solved.
    And as already mentioned, I need to share files through a download link.
    I'm an alien from another world. Planet Earth is only my vacation home, and I'm not liking it.

  12. #12
    ... kermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,528
    As I mentioned, RTFM. You can share files in your public folder (inside your Dropbox folder) via a link.

  13. #13
    Programming Ninja In-T...
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    Dropbox definitely doesn't suck. It's an incredibly useful tool for having files synced between your computers. Besides, shared folders do not require Dropbox to access. They can be accessed via normal HTTP.
    This may not be exactly what you want, though. How about finding some free online storage? Lots of those on google.
    For easy upload of single files, there is always filebeam. And then there's Sprend (haven't tried it, though).
    Thanks. I'm trying Sprend right now.
    I'm an alien from another world. Planet Earth is only my vacation home, and I'm not liking it.

  14. #14
    Programming Ninja In-T...
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    827
    Ok, Sprend uploaded the files, but now I find out that the files will only stay there for like a month.
    And filefactory.com did end up completing the upload, though it took a while, so maybe I'll use that instead.
    Or DropBox...
    I'm an alien from another world. Planet Earth is only my vacation home, and I'm not liking it.

  15. #15
    Programming Ninja In-T...
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    827
    When someone tries to download a file through a DropBox link, will it try to take it off my computer or will it take it off the DropBox site, and what happens if my computer is turned off?
    I'm an alien from another world. Planet Earth is only my vacation home, and I'm not liking it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Need Help Fixing My C Program. Deals with File I/O
    By Matus in forum C Programming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-29-2008, 07:51 PM
  2. archive format
    By Nor in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 07:01 PM
  3. System
    By drdroid in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-28-2002, 10:12 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21