Best Project Management and Revision Control Software?

This is a discussion on Best Project Management and Revision Control Software? within the General Discussions forums, part of the Community Boards category; Originally Posted by phantomotap [Edit] Oh. In my not-so-humble opinion, you are insane if you use CVS or SVN for ...

  1. #16
    Woof, woof! zacs7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,459
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomotap View Post

    [Edit]
    Oh. In my not-so-humble opinion, you are insane if you use CVS or SVN for a new project. Use Git, Bazaar, Mercurial, or whatever, but please stay away from CVS and SVN. Please. Pretty please!? ;_;
    [/Edit]

    Soma
    That's moronic. What if you don't have a choice? And the "best" is whatever is most suited to the task and user. Plus you're forgetting it's one of the most widely used version control suites, which is one reason to use it (not because you're "following the pack") -- but for the same reason you pick standard libraries over some third-party library that does the same thing even if better (because of testing, documentation, training, etc)).
    Last edited by zacs7; 05-05-2010 at 09:29 PM.

  2. #17
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21,745
    Well, sarah22 clearly has a choice, otherwise this whole thread is pointless. Distributed version control systems can replace centralised ones since they can be used like them, but not vice versa (at least not without a great deal of trouble).
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Version Control System: Bazaar

    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  3. #18
    Master Apprentice phantomotap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,261
    I like to throw them off base a little bit by recommending RCS.
    >_< Critical Hit!

    What is so bad about SVN that makes you say people are insane using it?
    There is something fundamentally wrong with a system that forces me to do monotonous micromanaging tasks by hand when such tasks may be managed by the system. I don't like to babysit! >_<

    The SVN source has a few bugs that must not or can not be fixed for various historical reasons. (You can look at the handling for some text formats.) These bugs are rare, but when these bugs bite, they bite hard.

    What if you don't have a choice?
    Then whoever made the decision is insane. What are you not getting?

    CVS is still used "everywhere". CVS is an extremely well documented, widely available legacy system. Are you going to apply the same logic to it?

    Soma
    Last edited by phantomotap; 05-06-2010 at 12:16 AM.

  4. #19
    Woof, woof! zacs7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,459
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomotap View Post
    >_< Critical Hit!



    There is something fundamentally wrong with a system that forces me to do monotonous micromanaging tasks by hand when such tasks may be managed by the system. I don't like to babysit! >_<

    The SVN source has a few bugs that must not or can not be fixed for various historical reasons. (You can look at the handling for some text formats.) These bugs are rare, but when these bugs bite, they bite hard.



    Then whoever made the decision is insane. What are you not getting?

    CVS is still used "everywhere". CVS is an extremely well documented, widely available legacy system. Are you going to apply the same logic to it?

    Soma
    You don't present an argument at all. You're saying don't use "SVN because you don't have to"... What!? As you said CVS is a legacy system, SVN is not. And there is no reason to make it one. The other RCS suites may provide alternative ways of managing things, but you give no metric for "better" when describing RCS. There are undoubtedly bugs in the other "must have" RCS suites you mention, why make SVN an exception? At least you say they're known about and documented (and there are probably work arounds). Unless your RCS is completely transparent, you're going to be babysitting, get used to it.

  5. #20
    Master Apprentice phantomotap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,261
    O_o

    You are very clearly attached to your choice of SVN. I can see that you have a different opinion than me. Fine. You have stated your opinion in answering the question at hand. Great. But! Stop trying to treat this as if it is an expression of a sound debate. You are not going to change my mind. I'm not trying to change yours. If you want to present an argument for choosing SVN, go for it.

    [Edit]
    [Rant]
    I refuse to babysit a tool. If a tool can't fulfill a contract, I'll get or build a different tool. If some tool fails me, I'll get or build a different tool. If a tool is outdated by virtue of advancements in technology, I'll get or build a different tool.

    I'm not trying to bring anyone around to my way of thinking. I honestly don't care how you choose to do whatever you choose to do so long as I don't have to deal with it. Unfortunately for me, that is exactly what I'm often hired to do. I usually get hired to fix the mistakes other people make. I hate dealing with nonsense because of the insane magic of "legacy support". A flamethrower fixes a lot of problems faster than a scalpel.
    [/Rant]
    [/Edit]

    Soma
    Last edited by phantomotap; 05-06-2010 at 05:46 AM. Reason: None of your business. >_<

  6. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    64
    Honestly, I don't know what I need. Someone just recommended me that I should use a revision control software like svn (the one he's using) so I can manage my codes better.

    He also told me about Trac, Mantis, Bugzilla and Redmine which I found out a Project Management Software. Do this softwares also help me on my project?

    Really..... I don't know what to say after reading this thread. :|

    I guess I've used the wrong topic title. I don't intend to make a flame war thread. The word "Best", is like a bomb, really. lol

    Thank you
    Sarah

  7. #22
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,468
    Just eeny, miny, moe between SVN or Mercurial. They are both easy to use and any of them will serve your needs. The fact you don't know what to use tells us that much.

    SVN has the merge limitations (not that you know what that is at this point), but moving from SVN to Mercurial later, if needed be, is not difficult at all. So for all purposes, any of these will serve your purposes and they are both good tools.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  8. #23
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21,745
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah22
    He also told me about Trac, Mantis, Bugzilla and Redmine which I found out a Project Management Software. Do this softwares also help me on my project?
    The first three are bug trackers. Redmine is project management software. Yes, they may help you with your project, but unlike version control the benefits tend to only appear when you have more developers and/or users. Incidentally, if you do decide to use Bazaar for version control, Launchpad would be a project hosting website that you might want to use. I consider Bazaar to be about as easy to use as Mercurial.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Version Control System: Bazaar

    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  9. #24
    &TH of undefined behavior Fordy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    5,789
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah22 View Post
    Honestly, I don't know what I need. Someone just recommended me that I should use a revision control software like svn (the one he's using) so I can manage my codes better.

    He also told me about Trac, Mantis, Bugzilla and Redmine which I found out a Project Management Software. Do this softwares also help me on my project?

    Really..... I don't know what to say after reading this thread. :|

    I guess I've used the wrong topic title. I don't intend to make a flame war thread. The word "Best", is like a bomb, really. lol

    Thank you
    Sarah
    Funny huh? If you posted a thread here asking for the "fruitiest flavour of jam" it would start a flamewar, so dont worry about it.

    Oh, and touting Mercurial again: bitbucket.org is a free project hosting site that allows you to store revisions and gives you bug tracking.

    The real answer is to have a go at a few and see what works for you. SVN, Mercurial, Bazaar, Git are all decent, open source with good support, so have a look and see what fits for you

  10. #25
    Master Apprentice phantomotap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,261
    fruitiest flavour of jam
    IT! IS! GRAPE!

    Soma

  11. #26
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,468
    I wish people wouldn't call "flame war" every time there's a difference of opinions. Ruins the effect of real flame wars and quite frankly rarely we have those around these forums.

    Maybe we should all just get along and agree in everything, right?
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  12. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    64
    Ok here's what I did few days ago.

    I tried searching about Git but I found out that it was really made for Linux. It has some port available but you'll noticed some slowdown and glitch. Because of poor support in other OS like windows and mac, I didn't bother installing it. Then, I saw mercurial around which has the best OS support which I think is good because of what it is really meant, to distribute source code around. After playing around with it, I'm going to try bazaar maybe tomorrow and see how good it is.

    By the way, I installed mercurial and redmine on my ubuntu 10.04 on vmware and found out that hamachi doesn't support linux anymore. The latest version I saw was around 2007.

    So, what I plan now is, I'll just register on those free source code repository around the net. Which I think is much better than having it on my home then connect it via hamachi. And using redmine alone on my network is kinda stupid, that's what I think.

    Does sourceforge support mercurial? I heard that they don't have forks so they just go to bitbucket instead. What's fork anyway?

    I want my project to be in private right now. I'll might make it public after finishing most of the important stuffs.

    Thank you
    Sarah

  13. #28
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,468
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah22 View Post
    I tried searching about Git but I found out that it was really made for Linux. It has some port available but you'll noticed some slowdown and glitch.
    You mean msysgit? I'm unsure as to what type of program you are developing that shows a slowdown while using this. I never noticed.

    So, what I plan now is, I'll just register on those free source code repository around the net. Which I think is much better than having it on my home then connect it via hamachi. And using redmine alone on my network is kinda stupid, that's what I think.
    Err... I'm not sure what you want to do. Hamachi? Can you even connect to sourceforge through hamachi? And why would you want to do that?

    Does sourceforge support mercurial?
    Yes.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  14. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    You mean msysgit? I'm unsure as to what type of program you are developing that shows a slowdown while using this. I never noticed.
    Really? Most of the threads I read around said that windows support is poor. They noticed this and that. Ok, I'll try it also and see how good it is.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    Err... I'm not sure what you want to do. Hamachi? Can you even connect to sourceforge through hamachi? And why would you want to do that?
    No no no. I'm using hamachi because I want to connect to my home server when I'm in school or anywhere.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    Yes.
    Have you ever heard about forking?

  15. #30
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,468
    Have you ever heard about forking?
    They don't go to bitbucket.
    Mercurial – sourceforge

    As for forks, Here.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21